Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I race road, men’s cat four. I am after some better wheels, but cannot spend $1200 on a set of Mavic Ksyrum SLs. Right now I use, Ritchey DS Pros, and also have a set of Mavic Ksruym Equipes. What are some other nice race wheels out there that do not run a ton of money?

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Neuvations??

lexington476 said:
I race road, men’s cat four. I am after some better wheels, but cannot spend $1200 on a set of Mavic Ksyrum SLs. Right now I use, Ritchey DS Pros, and also have a set of Mavic Ksruym Equipes. What are some other nice race wheels out there that do not run a ton of money?
Neuvations?

1.they fit into your price range....under $1200....WAY under
2. Very light. One of their wheelsets is under 1500 grams
3. Low spoke count
4. Well made, strong, stiff -- heck, they've held up to my 188lbs and nasty roads
5. Campy or Shimano now
6. You can upgrade to ceramic bearings

·
Registered
5 Posts
WCS Protocols

The Ritchey WCS Protocols are $699 and weigh less than the Ksyrium SLs. The Neuvation R28 SL2s weigh in at 1470 grams and are lighter than Ksyriums SLs, but they are more for climbing and not criterium racing. Ksyriums are good for crits as they are STIFF and roll really well. The Neuvation R28 Aero weighs anywhere from 130 to 180 grams more than the SL2s. The Aero should be stiffer than the SL model, but I can't vouch for that as I've not tested it. I have ridden Ksyriums and Neuvation R28 SL2s and can say in a crit I'd go Ksyrium. In a RR I'd go Neuvation. If I had $699 on me right now...I'd buy the Ritchey's to see how they roll.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
I had a dealer offer me a new set of Ksyrium SL's for $550 but I'd bought a bike there
and a whole bunch of other junk too. If I had the cash I would have done it.

I've seen sets on Ebay for around that price or less (especially if they are
the black ones). But, if brand new is important and current appearance (silver
hub and spokes) is important to you or you absolutely need the ones with the
red hubs, well, then they are going to be spendier.

I know that Mavic now has that MP3 deal where if you sign up for their
protection plan and you crash the wheels you can get a replacement set
for around $50 USD or so (I saw this in an ad in Road magazine at Barnes
and Noble just an hour or so ago).

That being said, those Ritchey wheels in Spokejunky's post sounds like they
are worth investigating.

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like new, but just not at $1200, mid $100s is good. I do not want fancy, I want performance, light, etc. Stiff for crits...

aliensporebomb said:
I've seen sets on Ebay for around that price or less (especially if they are
the black ones). But, if brand new is important and current appearance (silver
hub and spokes) is important to you or you absolutely need the ones with the
red hubs, well, then they are going to be spendier.

I know that Mavic now has that MP3 deal where if you sign up for their
protection plan and you crash the wheels you can get a replacement set
for around $50 USD or so (I saw this in an ad in Road magazine at Barnes
and Noble just an hour or so ago).

That being said, those Ritchey wheels in Spokejunky's post sounds like they
are worth investigating.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
visit excel sports http://www.excelsports.com/wheel.asp go through the program chances you can build a very light wheelset for under $1200. or visit http://www.oddsandendos.com/ site has a few listed sets or ligero wheel works ask for a price quote, http://www.ligerowheels.com/ or hammerpilot wheels at http://www.hammerpilot.com/ look under "custom wheelbuilding" in the left tool box. you have quite a few options, Nuevations, velocity nubian to name a few visit https://www.superspokes.com/wheels.html
i've had the most success with wheelsmith built wheels (mavic op rims, record hubs, 15db spokes) , light, durable, easliy rebuildable. Got them for cheap on eBay, owner wanted a set of boutique wheels. you have options.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
lexington476 said:
Can you spend $775 on Ksyrium Elite SSC SL's ?

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=x0030

·
Registered
150 Posts
lexington476 said:
I would like new, but just not at $1200, mid $100s is good. ...
Campy Eurus from 11speed.com might fit the bill -- $514 for the '05s and $588 for the '06s. I've raced (RR and crit) my '04 Eurus wheels, and they've been very solid adn strong, even through some pretty bad potholes.

(11speed.com is in Italy. There are multiple treads on them in the "Hot Deals" section.)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Why would you want to spend up to $1200 on something that will be destroyed in a year, or at most, two. Do you really think that those $1200 wheels will move you up from 27th place to 3rd ? If you want to buy $1200 wheels for those Sunday rides with your pals, go for it. Otherwise, build up some Open Pro's on Campy or Shimano hubs and crash them for all they are worth.
Ps. If you are a Cat 4 and don't crash, you are not near the front and therefore, don't need the wheels anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Custom and Neuvations

I have neuvation r28sls. Awesome wheels. Got them on ebay for just over $300 brand new.

Before I saw them on ebay I was looking at custom. I'll add spinlitecycling.com to the sites for good custom wheels. My experience with oddsandendos is great. Call Mike up and ask all kinds of questions, he'll treat you right.

You can get the speedcific hubs at oddsandendos or the velocity hubs at spinlite that are great hubs at decent weight. Throw on some open pros or aeroheads with dt revolutions and you're good to go.

Still, for the weight and stiffness, can't beat the neuvation r28sls for the money. I'm 205 lbs and they are fantastic for me.

You can get any of these options for less than $400.

·
Registered
36 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Why would you want to spend up to $1200
Don't be too grumpy mr. grumpy. I think the man is saying "but cannot spend $1200 on a set of Mavic Ksyrum SLs."

I don't think he'll do any better than his ritchey ds for 100-200 like he said, but the open pros on decent hubs is the way to go.

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am looking to NOT spend $1,200 for wheels. The whole darn bike, a 2004 Specialized Allez Comp, with it's OEM Mavic Ksruym Equipes only ran $1,500. I am broke/cheep, and was asking to see if there was something out there worth getting for $500, compared to what I already have.

And I generally tend to bag in the 11-19 for placing.

MR_GRUMPY said:
Why would you want to spend up to $1200 on something that will be destroyed in a year, or at most, two. Do you really think that those $1200 wheels will move you up from 27th place to 3rd ? If you want to buy $1200 wheels for those Sunday rides with your pals, go for it. Otherwise, build up some Open Pro's on Campy or Shimano hubs and crash them for all they are worth.
Ps. If you are a Cat 4 and don't crash, you are not near the front and therefore, don't need the wheels anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honestly, it's probably not going to make a huge difference for racing. Slight difference? Yes. I do feel ever so slightly faster when climbing on my lighter weight handbuilts. I'm comparing DT 240s hubs, DT 1.1 rims to Bontrager Selects. I needed a second set of wheels anyway so that's the direction I went.

Probably the biggest thing I've noticed is the ease of maintenance. I never have to true the darn things.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
dumber answer

lexington476 said:
Dumb question, what do ceramic bearings get you?
I don't know. Supposedly, they are smoother. Check out the Neuvation website for explanations...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.