Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Mrs. Muzzin and I are finishing up an early ride yesterday morning. Very light traffic coming back through a residential neighborhood... come up to a four way stop... slow roll, no cars in sight, hammered through the corner.

Half a block later on a wide road with no oncoming traffic, an SUV mirror passes by mere inches from my shoulder. I am a bit mellower in my old age and not as prone to hurl obscenities as I once was, but I know my wife was on my wheel and obviously nearly hit by the mirror as well so I'm a little hot.

So I throw the "F-bomb" a couple times followed by a couple carefully chosen obscene finger gestures to voice my displeasure. At that point the SUV slams on the brakes and my wife and I roll past on the right hand side. The SUV then slowly veers right trying to force us off the road, rolls down his window and starts yelling at me about how we ran the stop sign (an action this guy clearly thought was punishable by death). Fortunately the guys wife yelled at him and he drove off without further incident-- not sure what would have happened if she hadn't.

OK... yes, I know, I should've obeyed the law and not run the stop sign. And yes, I know that I should not have antagonized a clearly idiotic driver. BUT, those actions surely don't warrant vigilante justice.

Why don't people understand that they are driving 3 ton weapon?

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
covenant said:
Does not compute.

How would he know if he wasn't in sight?
1 block back? When i'm around stop signs i'll slow down, look left/right/ahead, take a really quick glance back. if its all clear, i'll go thru at 20mph. if there's a guy 1 block behind me i'll ignore him if i see him.
could be that scenario - i dont think its realistic or reasonable for most cyclists to twist around 180 degrees to see whether there's a car back.
-estone2

· Registered
127 Posts
Self appointed vigilantes are the worst....I once couldn't get a left turn because of oncoming traffic. Rather than stop, signal a left (holding up traffic behind me and risking getting run over although legally in the right) I rode on up to a red light (which was red the whole time), then when oncoming traffic was clear, did a U-turn so I could make a right onto the street I wanted to begin with. Some a-wipe previously behind me and waiting at the light yelled "You made an illegal U-turn" and threw an empty pop can at me. He missed, and I just got the heck out of there. I'm sure he was completely justified in his mind that my manuver warranted assault and he was keeping the world safe from dangerous bicycles.

Unless SUV was at the stop, and you went when it was his turn (which doesn't sound like the case from your account), why does he care anyhow? and he sounds like he's got the rationale of my coke can vigilante. Even if you did go when it was his turn, he's still WAY WRONG.

Like Lisa Simpson said, too bad you didn't get the license plate. Theoretically two people with corroborating accounts would increase your chance of the authorities actually successfully pressing charges.

I'd report the incident anyhow with as much information as you can.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I have notified the police before about road rage from motorists directed at cyclists (me) and all they did was take a report and go about their business. It is very frustrating. Someone comes close to killing or seriously injuring you and the police just shrug their shoulders and take a report. For some reason, if the crime is not directly observed by a police officer, then it did not occur.

· Registered
599 Posts
Not necessarily...

MikeBiker said:
I have notified the police before about road rage from motorists directed at cyclists (me) and all they did was take a report and go about their business. It is very frustrating. Someone comes close to killing or seriously injuring you and the police just shrug their shoulders and take a report. For some reason, if the crime is not directly observed by a police officer, then it did not occur.
Actually, it all depends on whether the complainant is willing to come to court. I've written several tickets in my career based on information received for situations where I didn't directly observe a violation. The problem is if there's no corroborating evidence, and you have an unwilling complainant, there's not much the police can do other than, as you so eloquently put it, shrug our shoulders and take a report.

· Registered
73 Posts
I'll talk with my father and tell him to stop with that crap....

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
In my world, those people all drive off of cliffs.

No, somehow all of their innocent bystander passengers, or whoever, aren't hurt, they get to teleport to safety or something. It happens at least twice a week, and I've had enough for a lifetime -- this in less than 18 months of road cycling.

These f&cking douchebags seem to think their little pet peeves and being delayed 30 seconds or less is worth killing for. So, yeah, they all deserve it...

even better. they deserve never, ever, ever to be able to touch a motor vehicle again. Not even as a passenger. They must walk or bike everywhere they'd like to go. Either they sit at home and don't bother anyone, or they get the soda cans thrown at THEM.

@sshats.

· Registered
432 Posts
I would post a counterpoint.

A freind of mine and I are riding on city streets and come up to a four-way stop where we need to turn left. I look behind me and see how far back the cars are, so I move into the center of the lane with my arm sticking out to the left. The car behind me stops giving me plenty of room. The vehicle who had the right of way made it's turn, then it was our turn. In spite of the fact that the intersection was busy, the other two lanes let us take our turn. They waited patiently for us.

It is a shame that bad things happen. I have met my share of jerk drivers as well. I've had to slam on my brakes to keep from broad-siding a car that made a u-turn in front of me, the lady, in passing, looked directly at me and made eye contact. One time I was signaling a left turn and the lady who was making her own left, opposing me, gunned her car right in front of me to make her turn, rather than waiting a couple of seconds for me to make mine. I didn't have to slow down, but I considered that behavior rude. She had just reached the stop sign and I clearly had the right of way. It's like so many drivers I see that will cut into traffic right in front of a car, when directly behind the car they cut off, there is a long gap in traffic. Too impatient. Too much in a hurry.

For most of my riding in over 35 years on the rode the vast majority of drivers are courteous and polite. It's that small percentage of jerks that stick in the memory, though.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Sure, you're totally right.

But if there are 99 nice folks to every 1 @sshat, just think -- how many cars pass you on a ride through an urban area in an hour?

How many jerks with a deadly weapon does it take to kill you?

I wish it were enough to have 99% of people treat me with civility, and ignore the 1% that don't.

170 Posts
Que sera, sera

Yelling at idiot drivers won't fix anything. Well, maybe yelling at incompetent drivers will...some folks aren't mean, they're just oblivious. But what can we do about that 1% who shouldn't be driving? We can do nothing but accept the risk of riding, or just not ride.

After I was knocked off my bike by a hit and run driver, I did some serious consideration about this. I still ride, only now I carry a small first aid kit in case I'm lucky enough to survive another hit.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
covenant said:
Does not compute.

How would he know if he wasn't in sight?
4 way stop... no cars in sight left, right, or up ahead. I didn't go into excorcist mode and swivel my head 180 degrees to see if anyone was directly behind us.

· Registered
192 Posts
Good and Bad

An older lady once drove from a side road on the opposite side to me and nearly took my front wheel with her. She had ignored a stop sign etc. I was shook up and caught her at lights.When I saw it was an older lady by herself I did not want to frighten her but did want to make a point so I lightly knocked her window. She told me she had seen me - but I was in the wrong because I was going too fast ( this was in a 40 mph zone). I advised her that if I was breaking the speed limit I'd make a good living as a pro. Even if I was breaking any law what had been her thought process : " heres a cyclist breaking the speed limit - I think I'll execute him. " ? Theres just no accounting for some people.

OTOH another time I decended a hill to road works that were coned off. These cones were in place for months and you could ride the inside of them parralel to the traffic.
Except this night the workmen had moved the cones and when I came out onto the road
I turned right into the path of a car appproaching at 40 mph. The driver stuck it to the road and avoided a nasty accident that would have been 100% my fault. He rolled down the window and before I could finish my apologies he just said " these things happen - glad theres no harm done" so I guess one balances off the other.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
With the increased mileage I'm doing right now, often in busy little stretches of road, I am finding that I have some "incident" nearly every time. Yesterday's incident was probably me running my mouth a bit too much.

So's I'm riding home after about 2 hours in the saddle. Felt okay after a stomach illness from the weekend prompted me to stay completely off the bike for 3 days. I needed it. Legs felt great, but my wind was a bit tough. Anyway, last redlight on a busy 4 lane divided thoroughfare. Large turn lane on each side, North and South. I ride there, as I find I'm out of the way of most drivers. Well, sittin' at said red light waiting for it to turn, a driver in a stupid f&*$ing Chevy Truck, big un comes blazing through the light, running it. He rolls through looking all around for police, as he's blatantly running the hell out of it. I spoke out loud, "Nice, real f$#@ing nice!" at the driver. Go on down the road. He heard me.

SOB turns around back down the road some ways and comes back to harrass me. Tells me unless I'm a cop, to shut the f up and mind my own business. Then blazes off. Here's the kicker: guy is driving a late model Chevy Truck with the tag "ANCHORS" on the back end. Do these guys think that other drivers aren't going to notice their tag and report them if they mis-behave in traffic?

I admit it was my fault opening my mouth, but we have a problem with red light runners in this state, causing lots of pain and suffering in their wake.
http://uanews.ua.edu/anews2005/mar05/redlights030105.htm

Before you ask, NO, I will not run a red light if I have a chance to stop. Am I going to lock it down when I'm driving to stop when I cannot possibly? No, but I will have made some judgment of the "Status" of the green as I approach it, and adjusted accordingly. Everytime I think of someone running a red light, I think of my wife and daughter driving down that road later on and some jacka$$ with a big ole' Chevy or a Dodge ( but it's got a Hemi!) running that light and laying them both waste.

I'm not a perfect driver either, but I follow the law and the rule of the road. That's all we're suppose to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.