Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Clyde-o-Matic
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went over the handlebars this weekend and ended up with some typical road rash in a couple of spots. I decided to try tegaderm on the rash. My question is how do you know when it is safe to take the tegaderm off? Does the skin color change to pink?

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Ditto what was said. If you can get the affected area really clean you can leave it on even longer 5 days or so, provided good drainage, but you do want to carefully check for infection. After one or two changes, you can leave it on for the duration.

Really the key of "wet" burn treatment is to keep the affected area covered and undisturbed for as long as possible. But on the flip side of that is fighting infection and how clean you were able to get the wound. Keeping it covered, helps fight new infection, but does nothing for what is already there. If your body is fighting the localized infection then you can keep it on. Also keeping it covered and undisturbed accelerates the healing process. Everytime you change the dressing, you disturb the wound.

Here are some good links for cycling specific wet wound treatment.

http://www.roadrashrepairkit.com/usefulweblinks.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.