Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering a weekend trip to Maine -- would love to go on some rides with my spouse, who is new to roadie-dom. I know there are lots of carriage trails in Acadia Natl Park, but from my recollection, those would be more suited to a hybrid or mountain bike. Anyone out there know whether there are road loops that are light on traffic? I saw one site that mentions that the 20 mile Park Loop has very heavy traffic, so I was hoping there are other options. Thanks!

·
Registered
766 Posts
There are a lot more than 20 miles available on the "park loop".

I couldn't tell you exactly what I did cause it was 2 years ago but I just went out and rode and ended up with around a 60 mile ride. I was being a little nutty though, I climbed Caddilac Mtn several times, etc..

Basically you can pick up any one of the touristy books and pick some locations and cycle to them. Once you're out of Bar Harbor itself there is very little traffic most places on the island.

I think you could probably figure out how to do at least a century on the island if not more if you looked over the maps carefully.

Ben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ben,

Like any National Park, it depends on when you travel. Prior to June 15, you'll find the roads in Acadia sufficiently quiet, even in the heart of the day. The loops are one way, two lane, and everyone is site-seeing, so the traffic flow is slow. Road shoulders are adequate and the setting couldn't be prettier. The climb up Cadillac is 1000 feet Vertical if you're feeling heartier and want to challenge yourself. Entrance into Acadia is free on a bicycle. Lots of other roads too besides the park loop. Don't miss out on some of the walking trails - beautiful vistas and a nice diversion - hilltops, gardens and islands abound.

Your wife will really enjoy it. Bar Harbor is great - excellent dining and various rates/accomodations easy to find upon arrival - if you travel before summer. July thru September - forget it, unless you make reservations now and plan to bike at early light.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I meant in season, I went in July... rode from like maybe 3PM to 8PM or something.

Really not much traffic at all compared to what I'm used to. Certainly no backups anywhere, very little stopping to unclip, definitely didn't have to lane split at all, etc..

Bar Harbor itself was jammed up solid almost the entire time I was there, from early morning to late night. It was frustrating to cycle through that, but once you're like 2 miles out of town the traffic seemed to disappear.

Caddilac Mtn. is a fairly easy mountain but a ton of fun due to the view and the fact that the latitude and/or location keep the trees small or non existent at the top so it feels like you're climbing a much bigger mountain. The summit road itself is no more than 10-15 minute climb IIRC, no need for low gears, etc.. if you're in decent shape a double with a 39x25 should be enough.

Ben

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did a great loop there with my "new to road cycling" girlfriend last season. I hung with her till the base of Cadillac and the plan was for her to go up as far as she felt like and I would catch her coming down. She ended up climbing the whole thing no prob - she was white knucking the downhill though. We always go up off season so there was no real issue with traffic on the one way park loop road - the drivers were all rather bad, but that's idiots on vacation for you...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take aride up route 1 to Machias. Great routes from there. Great centuries. Inland or by the sea. Oh yeah Bar Harbor is great in the park. Get the book 25 rides in Maine. Describes a great 72 miler around the island. Don't worry about traffic in Maine if you are from away. Downtown BH maybe from 10 am on but nothing you will used too.. Carriage roads are great to on a MTB. Good climbs and decents. Throw your bike in the woods and take a hike. Try where I live in central Maine . From my house, just 8 miles from the capital, I have routes from 15 to 60 miles where I can ride a smooth road and not have a car pass me for a half an hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts