Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new job in Schaumburg, IL that I'm really excited about. The bad news is that it looks like the riding around there is crap. I'm originally from Chicagoland so I'm familiar with the area but not specifically Schaumburg. And though it seems there are a few MTB options near by, it doesn't seem promising at all for road riding.

Are there any nice quiet roads nearby that offer opportunities for riding? I know there are some bike paths in the forest preserves, but I'm looking for 40 - 60 mile rides and places to do hard training rides.

Thanks,

·
Registered
344 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm in Schaumburg too. I just did a century two days ago. Started from my place in Schaumburg and ended in Crystal Lake. Did the route twice to add up to 100. The route was basically Higgens (starting near Roselle) all the wat West to the Fox River Trail in Dundee. Then take the trail north about 15 more miles until you hit 14. Then turn around and come back. 50 miles for one trip.

There is pretty good riding north of Crystal Lake/McHenry area but while the traffic is very very light, the shoulders are very very nonexistent. Not sure what your comfort level is.

Good luck, I tend to just go to Busse Woods and do a few laps there until I'm bored out of my skull.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so it's only about 10 miles to the fox river? I know once you get west of there there are some nice country roads to ride, and the fox river trail itself is nice as long as it's not a pretty sunny weekend afternoon in May.

Isn't there a bike path in the opposite direction, is it along the North Branch of the Chicago River? Is the traffic on that path low enought to allow for a nice high pace?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess it all depends on your comfort level and your definition of "good roads." I'm not real familiar with Schaumburg, but if you can make it north of I-90, there are some decent roads to ride, and once you get up into Lake County things are pretty good.

Check out www.harperride.net for a good weekly training ride, and they list their route as well.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Ditto the harper ride. If you want to get the sh*t kicked out of your legs, that's the ride to do. The Schaumburg bike club is geared to slower recreational riders. (you know.....bike nerds).
You don't say where you live in Schaumburg, but you can get to the wide open places by heading west on Weathersfield, going north on Knollwood, west on Bode. From there, you can either head north on Bartlett Rd, or you can take the bike path in a round-a-bout manner, the same way. If you take the path, head north on Bartlett, when you cross it again. Take it to Penny Rd, and go west.
From there, just follow the map you can find on the harper ride site. Once you get north of Lake Cook Rd, you can easily find a 60, 75, 100 mile route.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys, that's exactly what I'm looking for. As for my location, I don't even know yet, we may end up in Palatine or Arlington Heights or Hoffman Estates or something. I just know that I'll be working in Schaumburg and living within 5 miles of where I'll work so I can bike commute, so I'll be somewhere around there starting June 3rd. I may try to hit that harper ride on the 10th.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Norhtwest suburbs

Actually the road riding in the northwest suburbs is the best in the Chicago area. Saturday you have Harper which is an excellent training ride for a racer with everything from cat 4 riders to masters world champions. Sunday you could join up with the BBC team and what is left of the Arlington Flyers (both of theses groups are great people) out of Cuba Marsh (corner of Cuba and Ela in Barrington). I think they leave around 8am for 50 - 70 miles (route varies). Also Sunday's there is a group that also leaves out of Barrington and goes up around Lake Geneva (around 100 miles) they do it every Sunday. Tuesday BBC has another ride that leaves from Station Middle School off of Lake Cook at 6pm. 35 hard and fast miles. Thursday there is a ride from Shamrock Cyclery - I have never done this one but have heard it is very tough. Plus, there are the Wheeling Wheelmen - a touring club with a lot of great people involved.

If you are into the solo thing then ride north toward Barrington and you will actually find some hills. Pickup a copy of the Chicago Bike Fed. map.

Best of luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
246 Posts
fishman473 said:
I just got a new job in Schaumburg, IL that I'm really excited about. The bad news is that it looks like the riding around there is crap. I'm originally from Chicagoland so I'm familiar with the area but not specifically Schaumburg. And though it seems there are a few MTB options near by, it doesn't seem promising at all for road riding.

Are there any nice quiet roads nearby that offer opportunities for riding? I know there are some bike paths in the forest preserves, but I'm looking for 40 - 60 mile rides and places to do hard training rides.

Thanks,
I didn't live that far from Schaumburg the year that I put the most miles on the bike for a years time. I rode almost 8000 miles leaving from my apartment off of Busse Road in Mt. Prospect. There are lots of roads around there in all directions that lead to some good rides. Check out the Harper Ride which takes off not too far from Schaumburg. I used to ride Dempster Road east eventually getting to the trail that goes along side the the northern part of the Chicago River. You can get off easily and head up Green Bay Road or Sheridan Road. There are lots of ways out west and north west up to Crystal Lake. I actually can't wait to get back to Chicago in December so I can get back to these rides.

Look Vince up at Village Cycle Sport on Arlington Heights Road on the East side of Busse Woods. He can get you going. Great guy too!

·
Registered
246 Posts
varsitychamp said:
the only time i go to schaumburg is to drink,shop or pick up women.Coincidentally they can all be done at once.
You sound like a real metrosexual! Where do you find time to train?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.