Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking for light and stiffness road clincher rims for 20 or 24 holes on front and 28 holes on rear.
I have American Classic hubs (Mico 58 and RD 205 S). Spokes DT Revolution or Sappim CX Ray.
I think about IRD Cadence Road (390 gram/24 holes - front, 28 holes - rear). On roadbikereview isn't any opinion.
Other option: DT RR 1.1, Sun Rimes Assault (?). Mavic open Pro fall off.
Somebody know other aluminium, light and stiffness rims with 20/24 (front) and 28 hols (rear)?
Thanks for help.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
IRD cadence are available in 20h. I'm still waiting for mine (factory direct - shop is probably faster), and can't offer any opinion. But they are available, and Mike at Oddsandendos should be able to get them. I anticipate - at minimum - a discouraging amount of flex, but I'm sure that will be due as much to a scant 20 spokes as to a rim as skinny as the Cadence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SDizzle said:
IRD cadence are available in 20h. I'm still waiting for mine (factory direct - shop is probably faster), and can't offer any opinion. But they are available, and Mike at Oddsandendos should be able to get them. I anticipate - at minimum - a discouraging amount of flex, but I'm sure that will be due as much to a scant 20 spokes as to a rim as skinny as the Cadence.
Please write a review when You get this rims. Thx.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It sounds like you don't have the hubs... so how did you decide on 20/24 and 28? The correct # of spokes will depend on your weight, the type of rim (light weight and stiffness generally don't go together), and your intended application.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rruff said:
It sounds like you don't have the hubs... so how did you decide on 20/24 and 28? The correct # of spokes will depend on your weight, the type of rim (light weight and stiffness generally don't go together), and your intended application.
I'm a light guy (65 kgs) and I don't need heavy wheels with 32 spokes.
I choise very light hubs (cheap simultaneous), and good spokes: CT Revolution or stronger Sapim CX Ray.
I don't have money for Tune, ExtraLight hub.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
KarbonPol said:
I'm a light guy (65 kgs) and I don't need heavy wheels with 32 spokes.
I choise very light hubs (cheap simultaneous), and good spokes: CT Revolution or stronger Sapim CX Ray.
If these are racing wheels I'd lean towards a 30mm rim (like the IRD Aero, or Speedcific) with CX-rays. The rim will be heavier, but it will also be stronger... and the aero benefit is more important than the ~60g of extra rim weight. Besides, you can also use fewer spokes... 4-8 less per wheel compared to one of the <400g rims.

Or, since you are wanting to use AC hubs, you might check out the AC 420 wheels... you can get them with CX-rays also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wheel set (factory set (?)) fall off, because service is difficult. American Classic rims are not available in individual sale. AC wheels are cheap, but I wont fold oneself.
I like low profile rims - max 25 mm. Higher are too high.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Same wheelset.

I built a very similar wheelset and this may answer some of you questions here After over a thousand miles on these wheels I still think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Juanmoretime said:
I built a very similar wheelset and this may answer some of you questions here After over a thousand miles on these wheels I still think I made the right choice.
Thank You for link. I'm glad You are satisfied with this rims & hub.
I'm surely in my choise. Thx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Juanmoretime said:
What type of plait You choised?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts