Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Paint symbols/arrows on the road to indicate turns along the route. This is a popular method in my area. You know you are on a cycling friendly road when you see them. They are often painted on the road with a stencil and spary-paint. One before a turn and one after. This way the riders know which way to go and get another cue that they are going the right way.

Some municipalities may frown upon this. Check first.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Dan Henry Arrows

bicycleillinois said:
Hey everyone I run a bike tour and I'm looking for suggestions on ways to do great signage without spending a ton of money. Any suggestions?!
I bet if you Googled "Dan Henry Arrows" you would find a bunch of information on these "standard" road markings. Paint on the road is the normal way to mark a route. Unless you're asking about signs for the feed stops, registration area, finish, etc. in which case you need to be a little more specific.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
For quick & easy painting...and a bit stealthy too....buy a cheap, sponge, kitchen floor mop head. Use a knife to trim as desired. Have someone drive the route, while a passenger paints. Put some paint in a roller pan & put it on the passenger side floor between the feet of the passenger. As you approach a corner, slow / stop as needed, while the passenger opens the door & stamps the paint. No need to exit the car. Just crack the door open, reach down and smack...you're done. It goes without saying that you should cover the floor with a cut-up plastic garbage bag, and also temporarily mask off the door jam too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Non Impact?

Any suggestions for road markings that are no impact? I don't want to upset the local authorities, especially because I plan on coming back through many times and I want to leave a good impression.

Thanks!

-Rob.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
bicycleillinois said:
Any suggestions for road markings that are no impact? I don't want to upset the local authorities, especially because I plan on coming back through many times and I want to leave a good impression.

Thanks!

-Rob.
I think that neatly done paint is the least offensive. There are places (in Illinois) that will not allow it, but that is because of their dislike of cyclists, not paint. You can also get spray chalk that works the same, but only lasts until the next rain. If it rains on/before the event...

Signs WILL get stolen or moved. The Harmon uses signs and two years ago I was out in the middle of nowhere after some were stolen. I still do not know how they found us and got us back to the course.

I also mark one (that will remain anonymous) and my 'philosophy' is don't ask and use unobtrusive, neat painted markers.

TF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.