Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop carries both Deda and ITM road stems. I'm building a bike which will be usinga 31.8 clamp oversize handlebar. Is there any big difference in safety, quality or anything else between the ITm Millenium Super OS, Deda Magic and Deda Newton stems. I can get a pretty good deal on any of them.

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Own both, nothing noticeable

ITM Millenium Super Over White Carbon and a Deda Magic. If I have a preference, the ITM because it's better to look at while riding. Performance is excellent on either. Magic is a 3 bolt, the ITM a 2.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have newton and itm-made colnago stems on bikes and both are great. Both are 4 bolt, which I prefer. As to answer your question, I would say find a handlebar you like first, and then work backwards to match the stem. there is more variation in reach/drop/shape/etc. with bars. All 3 stems mentioned are superb, with the magic being alittle heavier than newton, if that makes a difference.

·
Banned
653 Posts
velonomad said:
My local shop carries both Deda and ITM road stems. I'm building a bike which will be usinga 31.8 clamp oversize handlebar. Is there any big difference in safety, quality or anything else between the ITm Millenium Super OS, Deda Magic and Deda Newton stems. I can get a pretty good deal on any of them.
I have two alum Deda Newtons. Symmetrically torque the 4 screws in a star like fashion, when attaching. A three-screw design is
easier to do, but I like a four-screw for safety.
Also, if you go with an alum Deda stem and a CF steerer, watch out that the stem inner clamping pressure points are smooth.
Factory-fresh out of the bag they look great, but I have found once clamped, they will leave impression marks on a CF steerer tube.
I might add that I am far below applying the recommended torque that is listed.
I felt better after getting a hobby-jeweler's file and gently breaking/relieving those inner machined edges and sanding them smooth.

" I don't mind being driven, I just don't want to be taken for a ride."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts