Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on taking my Salsa Chili Con Crosso this summer to Holland for a biking vacation. I am thinking about putting on road tires in place of my cross tires. I know anything will fit, but what have you all used for road riding on your cross bikes?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Been riding Panaracer Stadius Elite 700x26 which I think were decent, just changed to Continental Ultra Race 700x25 on my Ritchey. I like the slightly wider (than 23's) tires for my 215lbs size.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
black cross said:
I am planning on taking my Salsa Chili Con Crosso this summer to Holland for a biking vacation. I am thinking about putting on road tires in place of my cross tires. I know anything will fit, but what have you all used for road riding on your cross bikes?
I'd just go with some road tires. Michelin Krylions are pretty good, or spring for Pro-Races. I think both come in a 25c. I dunno if you're trying to stay cross-able in Holland, but I ride my road bike off-road all the time (on 23c Pro-Races), sometimes even on proper singletrack - but nothing too rocky, because I'm worried about the rims more than anything else - and never have any problems. Skinny tires can be TONS of fun when it gets a little loose. But yeah, Krylions (sp?) are almost like a longer-lasting Pro-Race, and I think Pro-Races are about the best general-purpose tire ever made...

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I got some Vredsteins from PBS on sale a while back and had the softest riding sidewalls I've had in a LONG time. Seemed to wear a bit quickly tho. VERY comfy. Almost as good as the Ti spokes I used to run.

Right now, I'm training on a mix of Stradius up front and 'something' (I don't remember, its been on a few wheels) in the back. My other wheels have a pair of older red/black bi-color Michelins on em that have lasted and lasted. Don't ride as nice as the Vredsteins, but for a training tire, mileage trumps feel.

My 'go fast' wheels have some Ritchey Pro tires on em that feel almost as good as the Vredsteins, but are way soft. ie: wear fast.

For wet weather, I don't think much beats the natural rubber Contis. Stick like an SOB.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
justinb said:
If you're riding it for transportation purposes, and aren't really concerned with cornering at 28mph, something like the Conti Gatorskin 25 would suit you well. Don't spend your vacation repairing flats.
I'll second the Conti Gatorskin. I've got the 25s on my Kona JtS, 2 years of commuting and training through rough asphalt, gravel, potholes, glass, you name it. I regularly use them on longish road rides, say 75-100 km, 30-35 km/h - no problems. They are a bit on the heavy side, perhaps, but plenty tough.

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
schwable marathon kevlarguard 700x28
mmm - goodness

reflective sidewalls and they are supposed to be bulletproof

supposed to be...

oh and kevlar belted = no flats?

bullcrap

it just means fewer flats...

if ya want no flats run a solid rubber tire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.