Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is my plan. I live 12 to 20 miles from 3 mtb tracks. I would like to ride my cx on the road of course to the tracks and ride a lap then return home. I was wondering what tires you would recommend that would be comfortable on the road and still have traction in the dirt? Or would I be better off geting full road tires and taking my knobby tires with me then swapping tires when I get to the track?

By the way I have a 2013 Ti fantom cross pro.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Riding to the trails then changing tires to ride the mtb trails isn't going to be fun. Your going to be all sweaty trying to swap tires and tubes which is going to end up taking you at least 10 minutes and you'll need to carry a pump.

I would probably try something like a vittoria xn, challenge grifo xs, or similar cross tire.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Don't be too concerned with what works well on the road. For a tire to be even decent off road, it will have to be pretty poor on road. As long as you aren't chasing guys on TT bikes, it won't make much difference. Good quality tires ride pretty well, you'd be best served choosing a tire with a dense middle tread for wear and some side knob for cornering traction.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Conti cyclocross speed, file type in the center with small knobs on the edges for grip in corners.
I recently put those tires (700x35) on my touring bike and they do quite well, very fast on the road and decent grip in the dirt and gravel.

I also really like the Marathon Mondial tires (700x40) I have on my cross bike, especially since converting them to tubeless. The roll very fast on pavement and have loads of grip in the dirt:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I run knobbies on the road all winter, they do wear out fast, but the ones I run are cheap. I'd rather have traction in the dirt and less rolling resistance on the road than to eat dirt and have to limp my broken butt home :D

I run the same tires in the summer for gravel etc.

Amazon.com: Kenda Kwicker DTC 700 X 32 Folding Tire: Sports & Outdoors
Some great options here, and I see your point! the Kenda Kwicker are what came on the bike, how is the traction with those on wet roads?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Don't be too concerned with what works well on the road.
The OP will be riding 12 to 20 miles to and from the trail. From personal experience, there are cross tires that are dogs on pavement. Noisy, sketchy on the turns, feel like riding through carpet. A small block design like the Raze or Small Block 8 gives a good mix of smooth rolling on pavement and good traction on dirt (that isn't too loose or wet).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I recently put those tires (700x35) on my touring bike and they do quite well, very fast on the road and decent grip in the dirt and gravel.

I also really like the Marathon Mondial tires (700x40) I have on my cross bike, especially since converting them to tubeless. The roll very fast on pavement and have loads of grip in the dirt:
I did a search for the Mundials as I was not familiar with them and found this lengthy review of both the cyclocross speed and Mundials.

A comparison of stark contrast: Continental Cyclocross Speed and Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Tire Reviews | ridingagainstthegrain

·
Registered
590 Posts
I did a search for the Mundials as I was not familiar with them and found this lengthy review of both the cyclocross speed and Mundials.

A comparison of stark contrast: Continental Cyclocross Speed and Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Tire Reviews | ridingagainstthegrain
Yes, that is the review that steered me towards those two tires. I would say the review is pretty accurate after riding both tires. However, I found that with the Mondails set up tubeless, they are as fast or faster the the Contis on pavement. The Contis are lighter for sure, but once up to speed, those Mondails roll very nice. I run them at 30 psi. They are also wearing very well, I have about 2000 miles on the Mondials and you can still see hints of the center mold line on parts of the tread. I could see getting 10k miles on these tires barring any catastrophic damage.

·
Bike Enthusiast
804 Posts
I was kinda wandering the same thing and have been contemplating this dilemma myself. I really like riding our local paved bike paths, however, I also will be riding a lot of asphalt roads around the neighborhood on a weekly basis but sometimes will be riding with my cousin who has a road bike. If I buy a cx bike for a little more comfort on bike paths and crusing around the hood, am I going to be buying tires every few months? Am I better off on a road bike?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was kinda wandering the same thing and have been contemplating this dilemma myself. I really like riding our local paved bike paths, however, I also will be riding a lot of asphalt roads around the neighborhood on a weekly basis but sometimes will be riding with my cousin who has a road bike. If I buy a cx bike for a little more comfort on bike paths and crusing around the hood, am I going to be buying tires every few months? Am I better off on a road bike?
I'm really liking the tread wear (or lack thereof) of the Marathon Mondial touring tires I run on my bike. They roll great on pavement and have decent grip in the dirt and the tread wear is not even apparent at ~2000 miles/11 months of riding. Might be an option for you to find a decent heavy duty touring tire to run on the CX bike.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Kenda SB8 35mm
I ride a cx exclusively and I just retired my 2nd set. They had close to 3600 miles on them. Probably 70/30 on the road. Worked well off road as well. Raced a few cx and gravel races on them. I ran them with slime tubes and only had two flats over the life. They're pretty cheap too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.