Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
smell my finger
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put some road rims/tires or cylcocross rims on my monocog 29er. I had BB7 disk on there now so the rimset has to be disk and ss compatable. Any suggestions for a decent wheelset to fit my needs? I would also like to run some studded tires for it during the winter time on the road. Let me know your ideas and experiences.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
1. Pick a custom builder.
2. Have them build a wheelset for you. Mavic Open Pro rims, or maybe one of the deeper niobium rims. Pick a SS disc hub, or use a regular disc hub with a stack of cassette spacers.
3. ???
4. Profit!

(In all honesty, there's not many options for disc-compatible road wheels in the pre-built market. FSA makes one, and that's all I can think of off hand. For single-speed disc-compatible road wheels, I don't think there's anything. Custom's likely your best bet, and probably cheaper than you think. Or - build them yourself!)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did the same last year, but I went with a little different approach. I have the non-Flight Monocog so it cam with narrow Alex rims and 2.3" WTB tires. I bought some 700x40 Ritchey Speedmax cross tires for the Alex rims and built some Salsa Delgado 29er Disc rims with a $30 Nashbar single-speed disc hub in the back and Shimano disc hub up front. My decision was based on wanting 36 spoke off road wheels and not having tons of cash to spend.
So far the decision was spot on, the Alex rims are on 90% of the time for commuting & light trails, and I throw the Salsa's on with the monster mudders when I feel like doing any serious off road.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I ride a 29er that I often use on a 15 mile commute.

You don't need a new "road" wheelset, you just need more tires. Depending on how wide your mtb rims are, you can runa pretty narrow tire. My rims are fairly wide, Salsa Delgado Race (I think they're 28cc wide). I have a pair of Panaracer Paselas 32s that I use for commuting, although I could go skinnier if I wanted to. Also, You really don't gain that much with a narrower tire. I often commute (or ride to the trail) on WTB Nanoraptors without significant speed loss. There's really no need to run a 23 of 25 cc tire on a 29er singlespeed. Buying a "road" wheelset would be a massive waste of money.

Buy yourself a nice set of mountain wheels and just use one set. If you really want to burn money, buy a Chris King wheelset like I did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Unless you really want another wheelset, just try more tires (I know you heard that before). Keep in mind the lower the tire profile the closer the pedals can come to the ground. I've run Panaracer Pasela TG 700x35 and Schwalbe Big Apple 700x60 on my Karate Monkey with DT Swiss TK 7.1 rims with no problems. The Paselas are reasonably fast and the BA's are too much fun.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
You can also run cross clinchers if you're riding mixed surfaces. Some 34c knobbies are gonna ride nicer/faster than the 2.X" 29er tires yer on now.

I like the Racing Ralphs for that.

There's also Ritchey Speedmax series of tires that would work too. Not as good 'cause they're semi-slicks, but they'll give you traction in turns.

M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.