Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many popular brands. Yes if I'm in a pinch and by local shop caring popular brand X, I will not care.

BUT, when time permits, is there a good cross comparison for tyres? I'm speaking to companies who claim they make 30 different road tires to functional all slightly differently.

Is is really possible to get longevity, speed and wet/dry handling out of one design?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Continental GP4000SII should do you well.
This is like a meme here. Not everyone needs $40+ racing tires.

IMO, the most important thing with tires is the width. I'd always recommend riding the widest tire your bike can fit. Wider tires allow you to run lower pressures and are more comfortable. Also, holding everything else constant wider tires have lower rolling resistance at a given pressure than thinner tires. This is why even pros have started riding 28s these days.

The second most important consideration is threadcount. Higher threadcount tires are more "supple", may ride a bit better and may offer slightly lower rolling resistance. Lower threadcount tires are less susceptible to cuts. Pick your poison.

IMO, puncture resistance isn't too important. First of all, I've never seen a truly puncture proof tire. Secondly, pinch flats are far more common than punctures anyway and they're not caused by a tire's lack of puncture resistance. Also, fixing a puncture is no big deal. In contrast a cut of sufficient size can end your ride very quickly. Cut resistance does in fact vary widely between tires and is an important consideration. Again, lower threadcount = more cut resistant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I notice what ever tires I end up with have these micro and larger cuts. Eventually some bit of that fails (enough of a gash and then a foreign object can pen the inner tube). But rarely I end up with a pinch flat.

Yes going tubular would resolve some of this but that seems like a larger headache (esp to repair when you are on the side of the road).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too often I see people touting vittoria products and they do seem amazing. Do you have any experience over Continentals?

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Too often I see people touting vittoria products ...
Too often? You have a limit on how much Vittoria can be touted? At the risk of causing you to exceed your quota... :)

I've been really happy with Vittoria Rubino Pro III tires. I have been getting them pretty cheap from Ribble over the years. They net to about $20-$22 each typically. They have a twin pack at £29.95 which would be between $42-$43 USD as of today. So that's right in the same $20-$22 each. But Ribble has changed owners and some folks are getting hit with duty. But that may be only if you go over $200 value. You'd also have to tack on some other items if you want free shipping that starts at $99. I usually just get a couple tires, a couple chains, and a few other maintenance items and that does it. Returns could be a PITA so I stick to no-brainer stuff I know and like.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
If you shop around you can find Conti GP4000SIIs for around $40. They last a long time, about twice the life of other race tires. Wet and dry grip is good and they have low rolling resistance.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Too often I see people touting vittoria products
Who set the limit? At the risk of offending The Vittoria Excess Tout Tabulators (VETTS) I'm gonna tout 'em one more time. For me, life is too short to not use the best tires available and Vittoria OpenCorsa EVO CX has been pneumatic perfection. And if bought at the right time from the right mailorder place, not expensive. I stocked up when they were $33 at Ribble.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
IMO, puncture resistance isn't too important......
I must disagree. After running floppy high thread count tires and getting flats from wires, I love the fact that I can run my Maxxis Re-Fuse tires without a flat for 3,000+ miles. By the time they get a puncture, it is because they are wearing thin. I will take a low thread count puncture resistant tire over a high thread count floppy supple tire any day. True, that nothing is "proof", but how many 10 penny nails have you ridden over lately?

.....Secondly, pinch flats are far more common than punctures anyway......
Not if you run the correct pressures for your tires and weight. I haven't had a pinch flat in years. When I have had flats, I have almost always found an object like a wire or tiny piece of glass.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
There are so many popular brands. Yes if I'm in a pinch and by local shop caring popular brand X, I will not care.

BUT, when time permits, is there a good cross comparison for tyres? I'm speaking to companies who claim they make 30 different road tires to functional all slightly differently.

Is is really possible to get longevity, speed and wet/dry handling out of one design?
You forgot something: High quality and really cheap. Like the Fred King hubs.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts

·
15,563 Posts
This is like a meme here. Not everyone needs $40+ racing tires.

IMO, the most important thing with tires is the width. I'd always recommend riding the widest tire your bike can fit. Wider tires allow you to run lower pressures and are more comfortable. Also, holding everything else constant wider tires have lower rolling resistance at a given pressure than thinner tires. This is why even pros have started riding 28s these days.

The second most important consideration is threadcount. Higher threadcount tires are more "supple", may ride a bit better and may offer slightly lower rolling resistance. Lower threadcount tires are less susceptible to cuts. Pick your poison.

IMO, puncture resistance isn't too important. First of all, I've never seen a truly puncture proof tire. Secondly, pinch flats are far more common than punctures anyway and they're not caused by a tire's lack of puncture resistance. Also, fixing a puncture is no big deal. In contrast a cut of sufficient size can end your ride very quickly. Cut resistance does in fact vary widely between tires and is an important consideration. Again, lower threadcount = more cut resistant.
Only if you ride w/ your eyes closed.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Only if you ride w/ your eyes closed.
Ok.

I've determined that in my personal experience that I believe personally that pinch flats are far more common than punctures. In my experience, this is usually because people improperly inflate tires and or have improperly installed tubes. Point stipulated and granted. Regardless, pinch flats are far more common than punctures. I have found true punctures are fairly rare in my personally experience of riding tens of thousands of miles over 25+ years with thousands of different people on roads ranging from Western Massachusetts to the Chicago area to south Florida. Other people's experience may vary, granted. I am not in any way denigrating others' opinions and equal weight should (of course) be applied to their opinions. I'm merely trying to represent my own opinions. And no one else's.

Furthermore, I personally (speaking for NO ONE ELSE) believe that no one tire is any more puncture resistant than any other tire in the real world. In my personal experience lo these many years, I have discovered that a properly sharp wire or thorn or whatever will puncture any tire. AS SUCH, it is my thoroughly unproven and non-tested opinion that to me personally, speaking for NO ONE ELSE that "puncture resistance" of tire is not a factor I personally consider carefully when buying tires. This is my opinion. Cut resistance IS a factor I consider carefully. This is also my opinion and no one else's.

Is that properly caveated and opinion-ized for everyone's taste here?

·
15,563 Posts
Ok.

I've determined that in my personal experience that I believe personally that pinch flats are far more common than punctures. In my experience, this is usually because people improperly inflate tires and or have improperly installed tubes. Point stipulated and granted. Regardless, pinch flats are far more common than punctures. I have found true punctures are fairly rare in my personally experience of riding tens of thousands of miles over 25+ years with thousands of different people on roads ranging from Western Massachusetts to the Chicago area to south Florida. Other people's experience may vary, granted. I am not in any way denigrating others' opinions and equal weight should (of course) be applied to their opinions. I'm merely trying to represent my own opinions. And no one else's.

Furthermore, I personally (speaking for NO ONE ELSE) believe that no one tire is any more puncture resistant than any other tire in the real world. In my personal experience lo these many years, I have discovered that a properly sharp wire or thorn or whatever will puncture any tire. AS SUCH, it is my thoroughly unproven and non-tested opinion that to me personally, speaking for NO ONE ELSE that "puncture resistance" of tire is not a factor I personally consider carefully when buying tires. This is my opinion. Cut resistance IS a factor I consider carefully. This is also my opinion and no one else's.

Well written, that definitely works.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Ok.

I tend to agree with your thoughts. For me pinch flats are far more common and I take the blame but based on a calculated risk. I do run on the lower side of recommended inflation but do find it more comfortable. That comes with an increased risk of pinches but mainly if I just plain don't see a hazard and hit it full on. (or as cxwrench says "ride w/ your eyes closed". We're still only talking about 2 or 3 times max a year so I really can't get that upset over it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
1 - Conti GP4000s ii in 25mm, really hard to go past this

2 - Vittoria Open Corsa CX iii in 25mm, this is actually my favorite tyre and what I'm riding but I give the edge to the Conti on longevity grounds.

999 - Maxxis Refuse, I just bought a pair of these to put on my winter bike (Dura Ace C50 clinchers) I went through 5 tubes and only got one tyre on, gave up on the second one when I ran out of tubes. They are built like a light truck tyre and are the devils work, so tight to get on my wheels. I nearly shot the neighbors cat when one of the tyre levers slipped and flew off :)

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Ok.

Sounds more like a religion (based on un-provable beliefs) than a discussion about tires.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts