1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've flatted with tubeless before, apparently the sealant had dried up (backup bike) and didn't seal the wire...Removed the valve stem, inserted a tube, and filled as usual, no big whoop.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,445 Posts
As much as I think it's the only way to go for mountainbike I can't stand it for the road. I ditched it 8 years ago after being tubeless for a few years. I rarely flat so the benefits are basically zero. Nor do I over inflate my tires.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
Tubeless tech has come a long way since the early days.
I've been tubeless for over 5 years. Multiple bikes, multiple wheels. Not one single flat.
I had one sidewall cut from hitting a rock (would've happened to any tire). Booted it, tubed it, rode home. No big whoop.
I wouldn't go back to tubes.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,275 Posts
It's funny the lengths that tire manufacturers will go to try getting road cyclists interested in tubeless tires. The latest absurdity: putting 'pool noodles' inside tires so that they can limp you home when flat. Really??? I thought 'weight reduction' was the primary reason for tubeless tires, but now you're supposed to add this foam toroid inside your tire? I can only imagine the gawd-awful mess of sealant these things become when removed. This dumb idea was introduced around April 1, and I really thought it was meant as an April Fool's joke.

Seriously, just buy a tube!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've flatted with tubeless before, apparently the sealant had dried up (backup bike) and didn't seal the wire...Removed the valve stem, inserted a tube, and filled as usual, no big whoop.
Try it with messy sealant in there, then reported back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I have to carry a puncture worm kit or whatever they're called, I might as well carry a tube, is my thought. Plus I know I'm really good at replacing tubes, I've never had to install a worm. I do like tubeless on the mt. bike and like the fact that I can run 10psi lower than a tubed tire, but don't see the need on a road bike. Plus I rarely get any flats, road or mt. so the advantage of self sealing is kind of lost on me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I have to carry a puncture worm kit or whatever they're called, I might as well carry a tube, is my thought. Plus I know I'm really good at replacing tubes, I've never had to install a worm. I do like tubeless on the mt. bike and like the fact that I can run 10psi lower than a tubed tire, but don't see the need on a road bike. Plus I rarely get any flats, road or mt. so the advantage of self sealing is kind of lost on me.
If you run tubeless, those plugs are handy and much faster, easier, and less messy than putting a tube in there. Of course, plugs won't work with a large cut. I carry both a plug kit and a tube and a Park boot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had a front and rear pinch flat in a pothole today. Im certain a tubeless would have survived. Glad I carry 2 tubes and 3 CO2's. Food for thought

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
Tubeless advantage never pinch flat, less flats (never had one), lower pressure, smoother ride, lower rolling resistance.
Period. Exclamation point.
still not seeing those as as worthwhile reasons to try tubeless. flats are very infrequent for me, so the advantage of not having to add three more strokes with the floor pump isn't a huge incentive. as for lower rolling resistance, doubt that would make a quantifiable difference in the quality of my rides.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Had a front and rear pinch flat in a pothole today. Im certain a tubeless would have survived. Glad I carry 2 tubes and 3 CO2's. Food for thought
don't take this the wrong way, but you need better riding skills. Been riding since the 90s, with lots of times in large group high speed descents, countless times in large 40-50 rider peloton hammering full gas, and I've never ever seen anyone flat both front and rear from hitting any one obstacle on the road. Usually guys will at least manage to lift the front up at the very last minute but flat the rear, never both.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
I get 1 flat every 15 months. 5 minutes for a tube change. How much time do tubeless riders spend, and frustration, in installing and mainting their tubeless setup? 5 minutes every 15 months? I didn't think so

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
I get 1 flat every 15 months. 5 minutes for a tube change. How much time do tubeless riders spend, and frustration, in installing and mainting their tubeless setup? 5 minutes every 15 months? I didn't think so
BINGO! (y)

don't take this the wrong way, but you need better riding skills. Been riding since the 90s, with lots of times in large group high speed descents, countless times in large 40-50 rider peloton hammering full gas, and I've never ever seen anyone flat both front and rear from hitting any one obstacle on the road. Usually guys will at least manage to lift the front up at the very last minute but flat the rear, never both.
Riding skills are a factor, but sometimes hitting something is unavoidable like if traffic is passing, you can't just swerve out into the path of cars. This reminds me of an incident once where I was riding with a group. I couldn't avoid hitting a tooth chattering pothole with both tires and so did the rider behind me who was riding tubeless. Guess which one of us got two flats and had to call Uber? Not I!

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
BINGO! (y)

Riding skills are a factor, but sometimes hitting something is unavoidable like if traffic is passing, you can't just swerve out into the path of cars. This reminds me of an incident once where I was riding with a group. I couldn't avoid hitting a tooth chattering pothole with both tires and so did the rider behind me who was riding tubeless. Guess which one of us got two flats and had to call Uber? Not I!
This is a good argument for taking the lane, maneuvering room. It's mighty handy to have options when riding in traffic and the ability to dodge an obstacle to the right, away from traffic, can be life saving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts