Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I give my experience, there's a little bit of info that needs to be given out: old bike a 16.5lb carbon BMC that had HED Belgium hoops on Continental gatorskin 700x23 tires (85/95psi). New bike is 853 steel Kona Roadhouse with Stan's Grail hoops on Schwalbe S One 700x30 (55/65psi) tires.

I used to have the skinny rims that were 19mm outer width with 700x25 GP 4000 & Schwalbe DD tires. I really couldn't feel a difference with them and even when I went to the Gatorskin tires to reduce flats. I typically weigh around 192lbs. The biggest change is when I went with the HED Belgium rims, that extra width had me instantly sold the first ride I took. The ride did get a tiny bit more comfortable, but the stability and handling inspired confidence. I'll never look back.

The only "down side" I've noticed is a slower spin up, but this might be the 1780 gram wheelset, or my lack of riding enough this year. However, the first thing I noticed was how smooth the ride was. I didn't feel any slower, and my speed into a strong headwind was slightly faster than I expected. Turning at mile 8 of my 20 mile onto a rough chip seal really spoke volumes. Although it was bumpier than the other road, I was surprised how comfortable it was! So far, I'm very happy that I made the decisions I've made so far. I think the only thing I might change was to go with a 24/28 spoke combination with Chris King hubs again. Maybe next year!

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Do I understand this right.....you went from Continental gatorskin 700x23 tires (85/95psi) to Schwalbe S One 700x30 (55/65psi) on a completely different bike and are attributing the difference to tubeless?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Yea, put 30mm tubed tires on the bike and let us know. You can do that after you have a flat on the road, then you may leave the tube in.... forever.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I understand this right.....you went from Continental gatorskin 700x23 tires (85/95psi) to Schwalbe S One 700x30 (55/65psi) on a completely different bike and are attributing the difference to tubeless?
Absolutely! Yes, I know that the frame will have an effect, so will the wider tires. When I went from riding 23mm tires on skinny rims to 25mm on wider rims, the difference (to me) was very small. This was a massive change to me.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Absolutely! Yes, I know that the frame will have an effect, so will the wider tires. When I went from riding 23mm tires on skinny rims to 25mm on wider rims, the difference (to me) was very small. This was a massive change to me.
um, yeah. the difference between 23 and 25 is definitely smaller than the difference between 25 and 30. Of course you'd notice a bigger difference (regardless of tube/tubeless situation changes)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
For me the comparison is more like a tubeless 23mm feels like a butyl-tubed 25mm.
And a tubeless 25 = a great ride.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Too many variables changed to know for sure that tubeless was the reason for the change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts