Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good quality training tyre that will perform well in the wet - ideally available in yellow.

I had been running some Gommitalia's but they didn't last long at all.

Who makes a high performing tyre that isn't too costly?

·
Registered
178 Posts
vittoria

my wife and i run various vittoria's on our 3 road bikes and have to say that they are wonderfull. in the past i'd run older vittoria's, switched to continental for the GP 2000's and 3000's then went back to vittoria when i realized the price/performance was much better than continental. many of their tires have kevlar beads, are great in the wet, and come in various colors.
i had been refered to www.probikekit.com for the best prices and so far they're hard to beat with their quantity discounts and free shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Specialized Mondo S-Works tire is my current favorite. Nice and light while being also puncture resistent and that dual radius desing makes this one of the best handling tires I have ever used. You can lean it over hard in decreasing radius turns and the bike tracks like it's on rails. At first I was kinda hung up on putting a Specialized tire on a non-Specialized bike, but I eventually pulled my head out of my ass. Also you could always get a tire from a mailorder, but when you do God kills a puppy. Support you local bike shop and an angel gets it's wings.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Yellow? I have a yellow bike, but I use black tires. I have been using Continental Ultra Gatorskins. They seldom flat and last a long time. I use the 700-25s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Michelin Carbon

A lot more durable than Pro Race 2. A lot less expensive. Almost the same performance as the Pro Race, and a perennial best buy in Bicycling magazine. And oh yeah, they are available in yellow!

I used to use Pro Race tires, but I had a lot of flats on unswept roads. I also noticed that they developed cuts pretty easily. Now this is not a knock on the Pro Races, because I loved the way those tires felt and performed. I could definitely notice a difference. Its simply that they were developed more for racing and the carbons were developed more for durability.

The carbons still perform pretty well and I'd bet you'd be happy with them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Having crashed on a pair of Pro Race 2s when the rear wheel slid out on a gentle turn on a slightly wet road, I would be wary of recommending them for wet weather.

However, I find the GP4000s and Vredestein Fortezzas are both very good on wet roads.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
note: Michelin Carbon seems to have been superseded

Akula34 said:
A lot more durable than Pro Race 2. A lot less expensive. Almost the same performance as the Pro Race, and a perennial best buy in Bicycling magazine. And oh yeah, they are available in yellow!

I used to use Pro Race tires, but I had a lot of flats on unswept roads. I also noticed that they developed cuts pretty easily. Now this is not a knock on the Pro Races, because I loved the way those tires felt and performed. I could definitely notice a difference. Its simply that they were developed more for racing and the carbons were developed more for durability.

The carbons still perform pretty well and I'd bet you'd be happy with them.
I think the new one is Michelin Krylion Carbon, more expensive than superseded Carbon, about same price as Pro Race 2 as far as I can see. Hopefully an even better tyre but too early to tell. Michelin Carbon tyre has rather ordinary reputation for wet-road riding if you look up the owner reviews but apart from that seems like a good tyre for training anr robustness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.