Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be a no-brainer based on what I've read here, but let me see if I'm missing something before I get out my wallet. I'm 45 and ride a 2005 Trek road bike about 30-50 suburban miles 2-3X/week using an SPD setup (Shimano SM-MA80/PD-M520). After 1800 miles, no major complaints....double-sided entry, easy clipping in/out and walking normal are nice features. However, I need to get wider shoes as my feet warm up and the toe box gets tight. My only question is do I take this opportunity to switch to a road pedal system or stick with an ATB (SPD/Crank Bros/Speedplay) solution? Whatever shoe I get will have a carbon fibre sole, so that said, is a road pedal really going to be that much more comfortable riding 50 miles, given it's wider surface area compared to an ATB pedal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
I like walkable, recessed cleat mountain bike shoes for touring. Shimano PD-M324 pedals are comfortable, and have the flexibility to unclip and ride or ride in street shoes. There ae cheap generic versions from Performance and others, but they suck compared to the Shimano.

Shimano PD-M324
Multipurpose Pedal

One side "SPD" other side platform
Aluminum body with redesigned steel cage
Improved top plate design for greater durability
Increased axle durability / Cro-moly axle
Weight (pair) w/o cleats: 520 grams

·
Registered
873 Posts
I use SPD's on everything from 30 to 50 miles 4-6 times a week and multiple centuries per year. I have never been uncomfortable when I got the right sized shoe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.