Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put my road wheels on my Cyclocross bike (for the first time) I ended up having to tighten up the brakes due to the fact that my road rims are thinner then my 'cross wheels. I was thinking of getting some inline adjusters and then using that to tighten the cables between wheel changes.

What do most of you guys do?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
ejpres said:
Exactly that...

well, I have the inline adjusters in there anyway because they are handy to make up for the wear on break pads.
+1

My training wheels are some Reflex Ceramics. My 'go fast' wheels are Ritchey Pros. My (soon to be ex-?) GF has some Aeroheads that are a titch wider then either of the above, so I need the inline adjusters to compensate.

HTH

M

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ejpres said:
Exactly that...

well, I have the inline adjusters in there anyway because they are handy to make up for the wear on break pads.

How much difference can they make up. The difference between my rims is about 8 mm. A friend said that the adjuster wouldn't be able to make up that difference and I will probably have to just tighten them up between wheel changes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My "Dummy" levers (or whatever you call the extra pair of brake levers mount on the flats of the handlebars) have cable adjusters already build onto them.

I don't know if 8mm of adjustment but for sure they can move a lot of cable.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
CrankyMonkey said:
How much difference can they make up. The difference between my rims is about 8 mm. A friend said that the adjuster wouldn't be able to make up that difference and I will probably have to just tighten them up between wheel changes.
8mm is a lot to make up. Are you sure there is that big of a difference? What are the rims that you are using (road set and cross set)? If they are both standard road rims, I bet there isn't that big of a difference.

For the two sets of wheels I use for cross, one is just slightly wider than the other (~2 mm). The inline adjusters that I have can make up that difference pretty easily.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
what inline adjusters are recommended? I'm building my first cross bike (Soma doublecross) and I was poking around REI the other day and MAN it was difficult to release the cantis on their built up cross bikes.........(I'll be STI with Shimano cantis)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.