Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 10, 5foot, 28" inseam. still has alot of growing to do. He wants a roadbike to ride with me and his mom. Does anyone know if the roadbikes you get from Target/Walmart (same bikes, same price) are even worth messing with?
If the components fail, can I take it to my lbs and replace with "standard" components?
I figure one, maybe two years and he'll be to big to ride it and will need a new one so dishing out the $900 on a c-dale isn't the best route. Also, im gonna have to order online, does anyone have any sugestions for a frame size in inches? He fits on a 49cm cannondale right now.

Jim

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've got three recommendations: The Giant Cypress @$385- The Giant Sedona @$385- The Schwinn Frontier MTB @ $330. If you want to go cheaper than that, you'd have to go to an X-Mart store for the Mantis Eagle Men's 26" MTB @ $119. However, if you go the X-Mart route, immediately take it to your LBS and have them check the BB, the brakes, the wheels, and the shifters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he already has a trek mt220 mtb, he was wanting a drop bar roadbike to use on longer faster rides with me and his mom. I will check out the giant though.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Forget the Target/Walmart approach... the kid's bikes are kid's bikes and the adult bikes are (too big) one size fits all. They (the adult bikes) are decent bikes for the price and will last a couple of seasons of abuse if all the bearings are regreased/adjusted but again, they won't fit.

My suggestion is to look around locally and see if you have any good shops that can build up a used bike on the cheap.

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
Do they still sell sting-ray type bikes (banana seat, riser bars)? That's what I got for Christmas when I was 10. I think it was $30 at Sears. I think it was seen as a cost-avoidance, because I kept crashing my brother's Western Auto English Racer (couldn't reach seat so I stood on the pedals). I remember tacoing his front wheel by smashing into a curb stone (hey I tried popping a wheelie over it but couldn't get enough leverage).

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
. Does anyone know if the roadbikes you get from Target/Walmart (same bikes, same price) are even worth messing with?
If the components fail, can I take it to my lbs and replace with "standard" components?
I figure one, maybe two years and he'll be to big to ride it and will need a new one so dishing out the $900 on a c-dale isn't the best route.
If I ordered my 9yr old son a bike online... he would outgrow it before it even arrived. The Target/Walmart bikes are fair crap, but in the case of a 10yr old I would say go for it. He'll outgrow it long before any part of it fails.

·
9,790 Posts
The components can move from frame to frame. Get a decent bike. When he outgrows it, buy a bigger frame.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
The components can move from frame to frame. Get a decent bike. When he outgrows it, buy a bigger frame.
Seconded. I would buy a super cheap frame (like the $100 Nashbar generic road frame) but put decent components on it. He may need to swap the frame 2 or 3 times, but the components can last him into adulthood. The build would also be a nice father-son activity.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seconded. I would buy a super cheap frame (like the $100 Nashbar generic road frame) but put decent components on it. He may need to swap the frame 2 or 3 times, but the components can last him into adulthood. The build would also be a nice father-son activity.
Thirded. I thought about doing that too for my 10 yr old son but I found a used Fuji road bike on CL. He's about 4'10" and fits on a 44cm frame. I figure I can sell it for about the same amount in 2 years and get the next one up.

I'd skip anything with 650b wheels though, that's a spare parts headache waiting to happen when you're out riding if he flats.

·
9,790 Posts
I found some 44 cm Schwinn frames (the good ones) that I sell for $80. I'm sure there are other shops that do the same.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
If I ordered my 9yr old son a bike online... he would outgrow it before it even arrived. The Target/Walmart bikes are fair crap, but in the case of a 10yr old I would say go for it. He'll outgrow it long before any part of it fails.
Sure... IF you can find a "road bike" in his size. All the dept store bikes for kids seem to be mtb-style with front suspension... at least what I've seen.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Another option is a light set of slicks for his MTB, and a carbon fork (get rid of the heavy suspension fork). That way he has one bike for 2 activities. I doubt he'd be a ton faster on a cheap road bike vs a cheap MTB with slicks.

·
Token Sprinter
644 Posts
Another vote for just getting a decent bike now and cannibalizing it later when he outgrows it. That's the route my dad took when I used to race BMX as a kid. I'm pretty sure I used the same exact components (mostly) on at least 3 different frames growing up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am also of a mind for building a nashbar bike and just swapping frames as he grows. You probably wouldn't get hurt with a bikes-direct purchase either. Just keep changing the frame as time goes on. Just my .02 though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.