Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
thien said:
you'll get to be in this picture...

But for those that need something more tangible, we'll have socks (first come, first served, until they're gone)... and a good supply of stickers.

But most importantly we'll have miles and miles of smiles. :D
I will definitely be in that picture again, but I'm gonna have to reserve some stickers since I seem to have missed them yesterday!

Hey Thien, do you think we'll have something else to give out by then??????? (Just asking!) :idea:

·
1,294 Posts
Squidward said:
You mean like my buddy and I missing Junipero Serra altogether and riding up Alpine Road for about two miles before figuring out that we were in the wrong place?

Somehow my Garmin GPS showed that we rode just shy of 34 miles when the Bikely map shows only 24.9 miles. It might also be because we rode up and over Woodside Road instead of Sand Hill Road as I felt that I didn't like the intersection at Highway 280 and Sand Hill (it's dangerous as cars come flying up the ramps and cars driving on Sand Hill need to merge across the bike path to get onto the freeway). A few people have lost their lives at that intersection so we avoided it by going around it.
Taking Woodside and Alameda DLP to J.Serra is virtually identical in length to Whiskey Hill and Sand Hill, so your extra mileage must have come from Alpine and inaccurate mapping. But wait a sec, my ride was 25.63 miles and we went almost to Edgewood before turning back. Ohh, you know what, the original route was supposed to be 24.9 miles before Hwy 92 was added in. The "official" ride was supposed to be 35.7 miles.

Not to make light of it, but a few cyclists have lost their lives on probably every single road we took. However, I agree that 280 and Sand Hill is one scary effing intersection.

·
1,294 Posts
sometimerider said:
And here is the map, elevation profile, and cue sheet for the route supposedly used on the first ride (which I sadly missed): http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RBR-4-3-2-08 (click on "Show" for the latter 2 items)
Hey sometimerider, there is a discrepancy in the mileage for that map. The "point" counter has 35.9 miles, but the route details shows 24.9 miles. Should be the 35, I believe...

·
1,294 Posts
I made another map of the VA with darker colors so it is a little easier to read.
Thien, you can paste this one in your OP.

EDIT: Oh, cool, you did it! I was thinking this morning that I had only dreamt that I redid the map last night, but I guess it was real. :idea:

EDIT2: Hmm, it appears that I need to leave this file here in order for you to link to it above...

·
1,294 Posts
sometimerider said:
Here is a slimmed down version of the cue sheet (elevation on the right of each line):
1.01mi L Page Mill 154.2ft
2.71mi R Arastradero 255.9ft
As mohair mentioned, after the Left onto Page Mill, we took a slight right on Old Page Mill, and rejoined Page Mill before the Right onto Arastradero. I don't think Old Page Mill is marked on street signs since cars are not allowed to enter at that point, correct?

sometimerider said:
29.16mi L Sand Hill 292ft
32.27mi R Alpine 157.5ft
32.39mi L Junipero Serra 167.3ft
And another thing that may be confusing, after Sand Hill, it is a Right onto Santa Cruz Ave (not Alpine), and a Left onto Junipero Serra. Santa Cruz Ave becomes Alpine Rd south of J.Serra. That might be why steelblue kept going straight on Sand Hill?

·
1,294 Posts
sometimerider said:
To the extent folks are actually using what I've created at bikely, I do want it to be reasonably on. But it might be fun, too, if a few end up in Oakland...
Heh heh. Somehow I don't think getting lost in Palo Alto and getting lost in Oakland are quite the same experience, but YMMV!

I live in the map area, and I still studied your map, so thanks for putting it up for everyone. I appreciate the effort. Thanks for making the changes!

·
1,294 Posts
Squidward said:
...other than Sand Hill at Highway 280 that I don't like. I mentioned this earlier either in this thread or the other thread that I don't like that particular junction because of the way you have to cut across the lane to get to the side of the road then have to cut back across the same lane to stay on Sand Hill as this puts us at risk of being in the flow of fast moving traffic twice while climbing a slight incline so our speeds won't be too high.

The last time we did this ride we went up and over Woodside Road, which has one junction where cars come off the freeway at speed but they have to slow down for a curve just before the junction and it's a downhill section so our speed is good so it seemed like a safer way to go. We made a right at Alameda De Las Pulgas, which eventually takes you to the junction of Sand Hill and Alpine Roads where you make the left on to Junipero Serra. It seems like a slightly longer ride this way and the area is not as picturesque but I prefer this over Sand Hill at 280. Just a suggestion.
Yep, it was in this thread, here was my reply:
"Taking Woodside and Alameda DLP to J.Serra is virtually identical in length to Whiskey Hill and Sand Hill." I've done it both ways. ....... "Not to make light of it," (especially after what happened last weekend :( ) "but a few cyclists have lost their lives on probably every single road we took. However, I agree that 280 and Sand Hill is one scary effing intersection." So, yeah, I'm all for trying to be safer out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.