Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats a bummer this is the same weekend as Boggs, I would make both of these road rides on any other weekend :cryin: Maybe your open to moving the day since lots of riders will be at Boggs?

I missed you guys last Sunday . I left my house ( Almaden area) at 8 am arrived at the parking lot at 9;20. I was fighting a head wind . Even if there was no wind i left to late.

I really want to ride this ride with my new RBR riding gear. You guys look like your a pro team with those colors!

thien said:
:D This ride will be a recovery ride from the ride the day before... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm going to try and recruit some more riders for this one. I had such a blast we've been talking about it all week at work. Looking forward to riding again.

UPDATE: Just got the kibosh from my wife! She already has plans that day... :(
UPDATE to the UPDATE: I could still start with you guys and cut off at Sandhill and head home. Better then nothing.

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
CrankyMonkey said:
UPDATE: Just got the kibosh from my wife! She already has plans that day... :(
UPDATE to the UPDATE: I could still start with you guys and cut off at Sandhill and head home. Better then nothing.
Dang!

Definitely come out and ride what you can! :thumbsup:

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
thien said:
Thanks sometimerider, that's the exact route "most" of us took. I think a few people added on a few extra turns and hills (by accident :mad2: ). But yes, that's the official route...
Actually, we took Old Page Mill at the start of the ride. So think 100-300 feet less climbing.

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
sometimerider said:
Here is a slimmed down version of the cue sheet (elevation on the right of each line):
1.01mi L Page Mill 154.2ft
2.71mi R Arastradero 255.9ft
As mohair mentioned, after the Left onto Page Mill, we took a slight right on Old Page Mill, and rejoined Page Mill before the Right onto Arastradero. I don't think Old Page Mill is marked on street signs since cars are not allowed to enter at that point, correct?

sometimerider said:
29.16mi L Sand Hill 292ft
32.27mi R Alpine 157.5ft
32.39mi L Junipero Serra 167.3ft
And another thing that may be confusing, after Sand Hill, it is a Right onto Santa Cruz Ave (not Alpine), and a Left onto Junipero Serra. Santa Cruz Ave becomes Alpine Rd south of J.Serra. That might be why steelblue kept going straight on Sand Hill?

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
eddy said:
As mohair mentioned, after the Left onto Page Mill, we took a slight right on Old Page Mill, and rejoined Page Mill before the Right onto Arastradero. I don't think Old Page Mill is marked on street signs since cars are not allowed to enter at that point, correct?
I don't know if it's signed, but I have now made this change on the new version of the map: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RBR-II-4-6-08

And another thing that may be confusing, after Sand Hill, it is a Right onto Santa Cruz Ave (not Alpine), and a Left onto Junipero Serra. Santa Cruz Ave becomes Alpine Rd south of J.Serra. That might be why steelblue kept going straight on Sand Hill?
Ok, that one is an error on the bikely.com map database - they show that section as Alpine. But Google maps shows it just as you say. So I've corrected that also on the new map (linked above).

To the extent folks are actually using what I've created at bikely, I do want it to be reasonably on. But it might be fun, too, if a few end up in Oakland...

·
1,294 Posts
sometimerider said:
To the extent folks are actually using what I've created at bikely, I do want it to be reasonably on. But it might be fun, too, if a few end up in Oakland...
Heh heh. Somehow I don't think getting lost in Palo Alto and getting lost in Oakland are quite the same experience, but YMMV!

I live in the map area, and I still studied your map, so thanks for putting it up for everyone. I appreciate the effort. Thanks for making the changes!

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
This past weekend my buddy, Joey (Bianchi long sleeve jersey from the last ride) and I missed two turns through The Maze. We found our way, eventually, but we really need to ride through there again to familiarize ourselves with the area some more. As long as the next route takes us through the same areas then that should be fine, other than Sand Hill at Highway 280 that I don't like. I mentioned this earlier either in this thread or the other thread that I don't like that particular junction because of the way you have to cut across the lane to get to the side of the road then have to cut back across the same lane to stay on Sand Hill as this puts us at risk of being in the flow of fast moving traffic twice while climbing a slight incline so our speeds won't be too high. The last time we did this ride we went up and over Woodside Road, which has one junction where cars come off the freeway at speed but they have to slow down for a curve just before the junction and it's a downhill section so our speed is good so it seemed like a safer way to go. We made a right at Alameda De Las Pulgas, which eventually takes you to the junction of Sand Hill and Alpine Roads where you make the left on to Junipero Serra. It seems like a slightly longer ride this way and the area is not as picturesque but I prefer this over Sand Hill at 280. Just a suggestion.

·
1,294 Posts
Squidward said:
...other than Sand Hill at Highway 280 that I don't like. I mentioned this earlier either in this thread or the other thread that I don't like that particular junction because of the way you have to cut across the lane to get to the side of the road then have to cut back across the same lane to stay on Sand Hill as this puts us at risk of being in the flow of fast moving traffic twice while climbing a slight incline so our speeds won't be too high.

The last time we did this ride we went up and over Woodside Road, which has one junction where cars come off the freeway at speed but they have to slow down for a curve just before the junction and it's a downhill section so our speed is good so it seemed like a safer way to go. We made a right at Alameda De Las Pulgas, which eventually takes you to the junction of Sand Hill and Alpine Roads where you make the left on to Junipero Serra. It seems like a slightly longer ride this way and the area is not as picturesque but I prefer this over Sand Hill at 280. Just a suggestion.
Yep, it was in this thread, here was my reply:
"Taking Woodside and Alameda DLP to J.Serra is virtually identical in length to Whiskey Hill and Sand Hill." I've done it both ways. ....... "Not to make light of it," (especially after what happened last weekend :( ) "but a few cyclists have lost their lives on probably every single road we took. However, I agree that 280 and Sand Hill is one scary effing intersection." So, yeah, I'm all for trying to be safer out there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Sand Hill/280 intersection doesn't seem to bother me because your descending at speed. Plus you have such a clear view of the whole situation. The worst part is the traffic coming up the ramp from the 280 but I've never had a close call (knock on wood) at that spot because cars usually see me and slow down. I think psychologically people are transitioning from highway traffic to road traffic and are more aware (just my theory... well hypothesis really).

Now the weird part of the ride for me is Page Mill/280 where you have to be in the middle in the funky bike lane.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Squidward said:
As long as the next route takes us through the same areas then that should be fine, other than Sand Hill at Highway 280 that I don't like. I mentioned this earlier either in this thread or the other thread that I don't like that particular junction because of the way you have to cut across the lane to get to the side of the road then have to cut back across the same lane to stay on Sand Hill as this puts us at risk of being in the flow of fast moving traffic twice while climbing a slight incline so our speeds won't be too high. The last time we did this ride we went up and over Woodside Road, which has one junction where cars come off the freeway at speed but they have to slow down for a curve just before the junction and it's a downhill section so our speed is good so it seemed like a safer way to go. We made a right at Alameda De Las Pulgas, which eventually takes you to the junction of Sand Hill and Alpine Roads where you make the left on to Junipero Serra. It seems like a slightly longer ride this way and the area is not as picturesque but I prefer this over Sand Hill at 280. Just a suggestion.
It's not any longer - it's almost exactly the same distance.

Ok, I have created an alternate route that follows your suggestion - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RBR-IIa-4-6-08

(I have also corrected an error in the connection to Miranda Ave at the end of the ride - and corrected it on the earlier RBR II map.)

I certainly won't be the one choosing the "official" route (let's see how high we can elevate this thing), so both maps are offered.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
CrankyMonkey said:
The Sand Hill/280 intersection doesn't seem to bother me because your descending at speed. Plus you have such a clear view of the whole situation. The worst part is the traffic coming up the ramp from the 280 but I've never had a close call (knock on wood) at that spot because cars usually see me and slow down. I think psychologically people are transitioning from highway traffic to road traffic and are more aware (just my theory... well hypothesis really).

Now the weird part of the ride for me is Page Mill/280 where you have to be in the middle in the funky bike lane.
The thing about Page Mill/280 is that there is a bike lane. Sand Hill/280 doesn't. Woodside Road/280 does until you reach the merge with the freeway exit mentioned above. Beyond the merge, there's a wide shoulder to ride on all the way to Alameda De Las Pulgas and beyond.

I used to do a lunchtime ride up Woodside Road from almost 101 to Whiskey Hill, left on Whiskey Hill, right on Sand Hill, right on Portola, right on Mountain Home and right on Woodside to get back to the office. I'm fairly comfortable riding on this section of road (Woodside Road/280). Sand Hill/280 I've ridden once and I could not get over the feeling of having a car bear down on me the entire time I was between the ramps. Then I read the reports here about not one but two folks getting run over right in that area and I pretty much swore that I would not ride there if I can avoid it. Maybe I'm getting old but I look at my kids and I can't imagine them growing up without their dad so I think about these things a little more.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.