Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
sometimerider said:
It's not any longer - it's almost exactly the same distance.

Ok, I have created an alternate route that follows your suggestion - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RBR-IIa-4-6-08

(I have also corrected an error in the connection to Miranda Ave at the end of the ride - and corrected it on the earlier RBR II map.)

I certainly won't be the one choosing the "official" route (let's see how high we can elevate this thing), so both maps are offered.
Thanks! It's a suggestion and I guess someone needs to make a call on which route we will take.

·
ES&D
70 Posts
I'm sure most of us have ridden Sand Hill/280 lots of times and I don't see it ever becoming a less popular route any time soon unless people start getting picked off in a hurry (which I don't see happening despite a marked increase in auto and bike traffic over the past couple decades). The only iffy part of the 280 overpass is westbound, IMO, and only because you're in a bike lane w/ dual merging traffic for a hundred yards to so.
It could be argued the part of Stevens Canyon where Matt and Kristi were killed is a relatively safe part of the road as there is a wide enough shoulder and clear enough sight lines that the only issues should have been someone cutting the corner behind them, or a gravel truck squeezing them to the curb, and even that would have been pretty iffy.

The point is, any time you go on a public road, you will always have some chance that something bad is going to happen to you; you can reduce the risk all you want, but there's always that chance. We all either get used to it and accept it, or we go pick up some other activity that's either safer, or kills us in more acceptable ways. Take your pick.

·
Looks fast, rides slow
266 Posts
Personally, it's the 280 overpath that scares me the most -- a bump to the wheel and you could be falling 30 ft down to the 80mph traffic. I usually just ride on the center of the right lane...that way if I get clipped, I won't just tip over the guard rail.

K-Zero

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Squidward said:
Thanks! It's a suggestion and I guess someone needs to make a call on which route we will take.
The route will be the same as we did last time... I think most people enjoyed the descent down Whiskey, the short climb up Sand HIll, and then the descent down. If someone wants to return via 84 to Alameda de Las Pulgas, they're more than free to do so, at that point of the ride, we imagine the ride might be a little broken up anyhow.

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
grrrah said:
I'ma dragging my dad out for this one. Will be a recovery ride from boggs.

If we start dragging the sweeper too much, We'll let them know and find our own way back.
I think your dad will enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Just a reminder - the April RoadBikeReview ride is this sunday!

out of curiosity, how many people are actually interested in a lil grill out at the finish? Before we make plans to bring a grill and cooler out, I'd like to get a head count of how many people actually plan to stick around afterwards and want to eat.

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Squidward said:
Ditto. My buddy from the last ride will be there, too.
Well, I'm thinking I'll bring a cooler with ice and everyone that's hanging out afterwards can bring whatever they'd like to grill up, and we'll keep it in the cooler to stay cold. I'll contribute a few things, not sure what yet though.

BUT, if there aren't that many sticking around, maybe it'd be best to just go as a group to a local spot and dine?

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
thien said:
Well, I'm thinking I'll bring a cooler with ice and everyone that's hanging out afterwards can bring whatever they'd like to grill up, and we'll keep it in the cooler to stay cold. I'll contribute a few things, not sure what yet though.

BUT, if there aren't that many sticking around, maybe it'd be best to just go as a group to a local spot and dine?
I'm down for whatever... or I guess put me on whatever list you need in order to not cross (or cross) some kind of "restaurant overload threshold"...

Just need to know if I should stop and buy some burgers/buns/whatever beforehand.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.