Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
francois said:
There is a catch! You need to be ambassadors of Roadbikereview Norcal Forum. That means that you need to be active on this board and you need to help organize/lead some of our future roadbikereview group rides.
We've had two great rides recently around Portola Valley/Woodside and then Sierra Road/Calaveras. We need to keep the ball rolling! It would be really nice if we can have one organized ride a month, but no one will complain if there are more.

The idea for this thread is to discuss arrangements for future rides. We can talk about scheduling and avoid clashes with other local events. Each ride needs a volunteer to run it, a date and a route. Once we get some suggestions, we can start a new thread for each ride with the details and get Francis to make it a sticky. I am the worst choice for a ride leader because I never know what I'm going to be doing any particular weekend. I'm out-of-town or otherwise-committed most of the time.

Any volunteers? Oh, I see that EBrider has volunteered to arrange an East Bay/Mt Diablo ride!

There should probably be some ground rules to make these an RBR ride rather than an arbitrary group ride. I guess the location is basically the Bay Area because that's where the rides so far have been and where "most" of us on this forum are. We should try to stay in the style of the RBR rides, which means a half-day ride typically on Saturday mornings starting at 9am with options for Group A and Group B routes. There should be some social element to the ride, but also some opportunity for good-natured competition. We can include hills of course, but not all rides should be climbing festivals.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds awesome to me. I would love to meet up with you guys and would have for the Calaveras ride if I wasnt so worried about that chipseal mess.

I live in Redwood City/Woodside so any rides out here are good for me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If there is enough interest in a Mt Diablo ride, it could be in addition to a regular monthly ride as I assume no everyone will want to drive up this direction. Although it is probably less than an hour drive for most people. Here is the information again since more people will probably check this thread:

Thought I would check and see if there is interest in doing a Diablo ride. There is a good loop starting in Walnut Creek, head east to Morgan Territory and around the East side of the mountain, then in to Danville and up the Southgate entrance to the summit and back down Northgate to Walnut Creek. Its about 65 miles with 7,500 vertical, but there is an option to skip the summit climb and just go half way up, which would cut 1,800 feet of climbing and 10 miles.

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/34322752'></iframe>

·
Registered
423 Posts
For Diablo, we could do A/B/C splits by distance. For example, for Diablo/Morgan Territory, I know of 65/90/101 mile loops (adding in Patterson & Altamont Passes). Anyone interested in an unsupported century?

Edit: hmm.. ok, century breaks the "half-day" rule.

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ratpick said:
For Diablo, we could do A/B/C splits by distance. For example, for Diablo/Morgan Territory, I know of 65/90/101 mile loops (adding in Patterson & Altamont Passes). Anyone interested in an unsupported century?

Edit: hmm.. ok, century breaks the "half-day" rule.
Indeed, great ride ideas and well worth doing, but the distance, time and level of commitment is probably too much for an RBR group ride. Given the amount of "animation" in the RBR rides that I've been on, even 65 miles and 7500 feet may be too much.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
We need one ride every two weeks!

There should be a bread and butter regular route once a month. Then maybe we can suggest new routes that we can all decide on mid month.

fc

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
francois said:
We need one ride every two weeks!

There should be a bread and butter regular route once a month. Then maybe we can suggest new routes that we can all decide on mid month.

fc
I guess the bread and butter route is probably the Portola Valley/Woodside route that we've done before. Perhaps we can tweak it a little. If bread and butter is to be served early in the month, then the most likely next date is October 2nd, or perhaps the 9th.

For a new route we would have to pick either of the next 2 weekends, or push out to mid/later October. IMHO a good example of apple pie and ice cream would be Old La Honda and Tunitas Creek! A recurring conflict though October and November is the Low Key Hill Climb series of course.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mt Diablo

Oops missed the last post from old thread. Posting reply in this thread:

Definitely interested in a Mt Diablo ride. I can meet up at Southgate area since I'll be riding from the opposite direction.

OLH / King's Mt ride sounds fun too. Need some new PR's too. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
It would be great if the rides would be on the weekends I am kid free, first weekend in Oct would be good and then i will keep my fingers crossed we will skip every other weekend so i can join in on the fun:)

If that is the case I will be there for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are these training rides or social rides? The last ride (Canada to 92 and back) I tried to hang with you guys. It was a rude awaking as to where I fit in with group rides. Can you post the performance level that you expect the ride to be?

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jonala said:
Are these training rides or social rides? The last ride (Canada to 92 and back) I tried to hang with you guys. It was a rude awaking as to where I fit in with group rides. Can you post the performance level that you expect the ride to be?
I'd say the A group would be an ~20mph group ride but with some significant accelerations. It doesn't match up to the level of a Spectrum or Noon ride though. The B group is more like 16-18mph.

For the A Group, "anything goes" but we do attempt to regroup at certain designated points (eg. after a hill or at a turn-around). If someone has really fallen off the back the A group is unlikely to wait for a prolonged time. The presumption is that anyone riding the A group can look after themselves, or can fall back to the B group. There will be sprints, there will be attempts to set PRs on hill climbs, and there will be attempts to drop people. On that Canada ride I fell off the lead group on the Col De Sandhill and had terrible luck with lights, so regrouped with a bunch of other A group refugees for the long haul down Foothill to the start.

For the B Group, the pace should be more social with an attempt to keep everyone together most of the time. I don't know if this would go as far as a true "no-drop" ride though, that would be up to the group leader. One problem for the B group is finding enough people that will join the B group from the start.

What happened on that particular ride out to Canada is that both groups started out together. There was an on-the-road "selection" between the 2 groups as we went up Arastradero and then Alpine. We formed a good A group (though I was socializing at the back and almost missed the jump), but I have no idea what happened to the B group.

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CoLiKe20 said:
would more folks be able to attend on Saturdays or Sundays??
It's hard to say, probably an even split between the days. If we switch the day we'd likely disappoint just as many people.

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dutch biker said:
It would be great if the rides would be on the weekends I am kid free, first weekend in Oct would be good and then i will keep my fingers crossed we will skip every other weekend so i can join in on the fun:)

If that is the case I will be there for sure.
I suspect that the schedule will be twice a month, rather than every two weeks, so that we have some consistency with the calendar. eg. first Saturday of every month is the bread and butter ride. You might find that you keep going in and out of phase with respect to the rides. It'll be interesting to see if we can keep the rides going with reasonable attendance through the fall and winter. It also seems that when Francis organizes the rides we get 10x more turn-out!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey all, I'm in for these rides (but won't be riding much in the next four weeks due to my cold and then travel). But don't forget about keeping some rides in the East Side hood. I'd lead rides out here, but I'm very quiet and no one would hear me :) But there are some good routes like Quimby/Mt Ham, Metcalf, etc. Is anyone doing the lowkey Sierra hillclimb?

-Tosa

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tosa,

I might try the low key climb series or at least the sierra climb. I live in downtown SJ and try to ride a few times a week. I have done Mt. Ham a few times and love that ride. I also mostly ride alone and a lot of times at night due to work. In fact, Sierra is a night ride most of the time for me. Not sure what pace I ride at but can give anything (bike riding) a go at least once. I do like to climb because of the workout. See you around

paul

G

·
ShaneW said:
Sounds awesome to me. I would love to meet up with you guys and would have for the Calaveras ride if I wasnt so worried about that chipseal mess.

I live in Redwood City/Woodside so any rides out here are good for me.

I'm with Shane on this one. I'd love to start doing more group rides, I'm tired of spending my weekend ride days pedaling alone. I’m willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the Bay Area to try a new route.

·
thien™
925 Posts
Let's plan the first bread and butter ride for Oct 2, the tried and true portola loop perhaps?

There are a lot of options for variations of that ride...

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thien said:
Let's plan the first bread and butter ride for Oct 2, the tried and true portola loop perhaps?

There are a lot of options for variations of that ride...
This sounds good. We should create a thread for that ride, and we'll need a volunteer for ride leader/organizer. Unfortunately, I can guarantee that I can't make this ride, so I'm not a candidate for that role.

The other question is whether to try to slot in another ride between now and then.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts