Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka 'Grover'
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm after new wheels seeing as my current wheels have 25000km on them, weigh 1.8kg and I keep breaking spokes.

I have four options in mind.
1- Campagnolo Eurus
2- DT Swiss RR1450
3- Easton Orion II
4- Campagnolo Vento/American Classic Sprint 350 (Training/Racing)

What do you think would be the best option or do any of you have any better suggestions? I'm leaning towards the DT wheelset as they use standard parts and tools.

All will cost me around the same so please keep suggestions in the same price range.

I weigh 140-150lbs. I'm looking more toward reliability in training but do want to keep the wheels light for racing. If anyone has much experience with the Campag G3 lacing could you please share. I'm worried about them being very hard to true.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I really like racing on plain-jane Mavic box section laced to Dura Ace or similar hubs--light guy like you could even do a 28 spoke, at least in the front. I had my built by Colorado Cyclist and they have been wonderful wheels.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I picked up a set of Excel sports Nimbus wheels and couldn't be happier - they are 32 spoke, ultegra hub, mavic open pro rim - and ride great. I've tried a set of the Orion IIs and a couple Mavics in teh same price range, and honestly - the less expensive hand built wheels are much better.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
hilarious... just about to respond to this thread before i saw your PM.

have sent you an email.

cliff notes: buy the ventos anyway, and take your time building a custom.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i must reiterate what has already been said! :D

mavic open pro's + any good hub is an excellent choice! not only is it relatively inexpensive, but they are strong and stiff!! weight isnt too shabby on them either. i'm actually gonna go this route for my second set of wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts