Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you see a roadside speed display do you sprint and take satisfaction in how much faster you are going than the speed limit? I always do.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I once came across some cops running a speed trap-- one cop on a motorbike ready to catch violators, one manning the radar gun. The road had a lot of cars speeding way too fast, so I don't blame the cops for trying to slow them down. It was slightly uphill and into the wind, but I started my sprint as the radar cop was raising his gun. He figured out what I was up to and kept the gun on me. As I went by (pathetically slowly, I'm no sprinter) he read out my speed. All good fun.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
In the town I used to live in they used to have one set up with a camera to ticket speeding drivers... somebody should fly by giving the one-finger salute

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
The one in my town doesn't seem to be able to take a reading on my bike,
I don't know if it is all the carbon on it or what.

I did one wild fast sprint towards it thinking it would show up and it finally
blinked 40 and I thought "WOW" until I realized it was a car a block and
a half away that actuated it.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
aliensporebomb said:

ASB,
They dropped one on Poplar Bridge facing west just short of the creek late last year that recognizied me. It was fun the 2nd time by after I knew it was there because I kept all the speed I could from the hill off Normandale until I hit it.

You know that Bloomington SOP is 10 days or so after they yank the radar robot off the street they run a speed trap for 2 days with that pedestrian radar gun and the hidden squads, so be careful out there.

Scot

· Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
this past saturday...

i just sped up for one this past weekend. i was not in traffic as i approached it, but the light turned green and the cars caught up to me by that point, so I could not tell my speed.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aliensporebomb said:

I've never run across one that didn't work for me. But I do ride a Ti roadbike and a steel track bike.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
Uh, I think they're radars. A car is a much bigger object, so it'll "wash out" a bike.

I somtimes sprint for 'em. Definitely use them to make sure my computers are calibrated...

The ones in school zones are fun, because everyone slows down to 25 or so, and you can play pro racer and draft through the cars if you want.

· Island Hopping cyclist
530 Posts
I did have a local city pitty call out my speed as I passed his stationary cruiser at 22mph. Posted limit was 30 and the road was really rough.

Just two weeks ago I set a roadside display off at 31mph, but I was going downhill off a bridge. Posted limit was 45.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.