Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtime member here and I'll only post this one time. I promise! Please read and visit the website and Kickstarter campaign. If you have never biked the Carriage Roads of Acadia you really don't know what your missing :)

DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKER LAUNCHES KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN FOR “ROCKEFELLER’S TEETH: JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER JR. AND HIS ACADIA CARRIAGE ROADS

Documentary filmmaker Ronald Gillis of Freeport launched a Kickstarter campaign on January 29, 2016 to finish his film “Rockefeller’s Teeth: John D. Rockefeller Jr., and his Carriage Roads of Acadia” to coincide with the 100th Anniversary of Acadia National Park in 2016.

The documentary will tell the fascinating story of American philanthropist John D. Rockefeller Jr.’s 1915-1940 monumental expansion of 57 miles of "state of the art" Carriage Roads, 16 granite bridges, and two gate lodges in use today throughout Acadia National Park. Through the use of never-before seen archival photographs, contemporary footage and photography, the breathtaking beauty and history, which encompass one of the nation’s oldest national parks, will unfold. Participants include David Rockefeller, author/historian Ron Chernow, author Ann Rockefeller Roberts, landscape architects and historians Will Reily and Roxanne Brouse, and more.

The film explores the historical, engineering and creative development of the landmark Carriage Roads, and above all the man who designed, built and paid for them. The name of the film is derived from the construction workmen’s affectionate nickname for the cut granite stones placed along the edges of the carriage roads as guardrails. Known as copingstones, they are thought to resemble molars.

In 2003 the National Park Service at Acadia National Park selected Mr. Gillis as its first filmmaker artist-in-residence when he began work on “Rockefeller’s Teeth: John D. Rockefeller Jr., and his Carriage Roads of Acadia.”

Gillis’ inspiration for the film came after he serendipitously discovered the Carriage Roads in 1989 and was stunned by their magnificence. “With the 100th anniversary of Acadia Park next year, and since 70% of the 2.5 million people who venture to Acadia every year use the Carriage Roads, I think there is a built-in audience. Finally, Dr. Richard Rockefeller died in a plane crash last year, and his death reminded me how fleeting life is. Although I didn’t know the man, he had helped me in a small way with the film by securing me an interview with his father David. His death made me take a second look at “Rockefeller’s Teeth,” and I really liked what I saw. That’s why I am excited again about the film.”

Gillis’ first film, “Words from Millie’s Garden,” received universal and critical acclaim following its 2003 release on Maine PBS.

“Maine PBS previously broadcast Gillis’ documentary on the Freeport history of the Pettingill farm family over a couple of centuries. ‘Words from Millie’s Garden’ was informative, evocative, and touching. It succeeded in combining a human story with history. I expect no less from his Carriage Road documentary,” commented Bernie Roscetti, former Program Manager, Maine PBS.

Mr. Gillis graduated from the University of Massachusetts at Boston in 1983 and continued pursuing his career in photography as a freelance photojournalist before settling in as an award-winning staff photographer at Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine in 1986. An early proponent of visual media computerization, Mr. Gillis became an independent photographer and filmmaker in 2001.

Joseph Conforti, Professor of American and New England Studies, University of Southern Maine, Portland Maine recently commented on the project.

“I do a lot of project and proposal evaluation, particularly for the National Endowment for the Humanities. I believe I know a quality humanist and skilled artist when I meet one. Ron Gillis fits the bill. I can simply assure you that he has the skill, knowledge, and commitment to perform excellent work,” Conforti said.

A website detailing his Kickstarter campaign can be found here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockefellersteeth/rockefellers-teeth

Further information about the film can be found at Rockefeller's Teeth

Contact

Ronald Gillis

[email protected]

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I can't promise I'll contribute, but I'll take a look. I did get a chance to spend a long day riding the carriage roads a couple of years ago, and it is a very beautiful place. The stone bridges, each one different, are magnificent.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't promise I'll contribute, but I'll take a look. I did get a chance to spend a long day riding the carriage roads a couple of years ago, and it is a very beautiful place. The stone bridges, each one different, are magnificent.
The Carriage Roads didn't get as much use as Rockefeller intended (carriage riding was out of vogue), however in 1949 he inquired whether they would be suitable for bicycles.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Probably not fair, but I find it difficult to separate Gilded Age philanthropists' legacies with how they earned their money.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Probably not fair, but I find it difficult to separate Gilded Age philanthropists' legacies with how they earned their money.
I think I got over that some years ago, after enjoyably using Carnegie libraries in many cities, and happily gazing at beautiful paintings in Andrew Mellon's National Gallery of Art. They gave something back. Enjoying it is not an endorsement of everything they did.

But I'll have to admit it grates on me a little when I walk past the big sign reading "David H. Koch Theater" in Lincoln Center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts