Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a SRAM Rival compact crankset that came with 50-34 chainrings. I want to swap out the chainrings for a 48-38 combo, but I'm not finding a lot of good looking replacement options. I've seen rocket rings being run on other cx rigs, but only on 1x9 drivetrains.

Has anyone used the rampless and pinless rocket rings in a double set-up? They say they're 8-9 speed compatible, but I've found numerous reports suggesting that the width of 8-9 speed rings is sufficiently narrow to run a 10 speed chain. Any conflicting opinions to this? I'm guessing that up-shifting isn't going to be super smooth, but a ten-tooth jump isn't that big.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
singlespeedmindset said:
I've got a SRAM Rival compact crankset that came with 50-34 chainrings. I want to swap out the chainrings for a 48-38 combo, but I'm not finding a lot of good looking replacement options. I've seen rocket rings being run on other cx rigs, but only on 1x9 drivetrains.

Has anyone used the rampless and pinless rocket rings in a double set-up? They say they're 8-9 speed compatible, but I've found numerous reports suggesting that the width of 8-9 speed rings is sufficiently narrow to run a 10 speed chain. Any conflicting opinions to this? I'm guessing that up-shifting isn't going to be super smooth, but a ten-tooth jump isn't that big.
FYI, I tried running a 8/9 speed ring with a 10 speed setup initially and the SRAM chain sucked badly to the ring.

·
Menace to Society
627 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
the SRAM chain sucked badly
That's for sure lol :eek:

Seriously I think it will work ok. I run a 10 speed chain on my 9spd mtn bike with no problems

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
If you were running a single ring or using it for the outer it "might" work but the width difference and the positioning of the teeth on teh ring seem to really affect down shifting on 10 speed systems. We ran into this on several bikes where the gap was just wide enough to not allow the chain to smoothly seat on down shift and instead to sit on top of the teeth requiring a back pedal to seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts