Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

So, I'm planning my next bike purchase and wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on the Rocky Mountain Solo - the carbon fiber editions.

On the plus side, the geometry seems right for me, the price looks good and I like the custom finish options. On the other hand, I can't find any reviews or any thoughts on ride, weight, etc.

Of course, I'd want to ride it before buying. But, at this point I'm not sure if it's even worth the trouble to make a trip to a dealer a few hours away. Any thoughts?

Peter

·
Registered
484 Posts
The frame looks to be made of the columbus mecano kit. Columbus sells builders premade sections that the builder miters and glues together. If you do a search for the Mecano kit you can probably find the information you're looking for. The lines of the kit especially at the seat tube are pretty distinctive and look exacty like the rocky mountain. Cinelli also sells a mecano based frame but I don't remember the name.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I gotta Rocky

I have an older (almost retro now) Turbo from 1988. Its a Columbus SL tubeset made and designed by Derek Bailley. It was a smooth riding bike with good manners. I would assume that the Solo should have similar geometry and similar manners. Rockys are nice but the marketing behind Solo baffles me. Just call a spade a spade.... (kinda like the Pinarello vs Opera branding)

FYI I like it.

TakmanJapan

·
®
3,209 Posts
i have no experience with RM road bikes, but my brother has owned several RM mtb's and i've seen firsthand how amazing a company they are. they make great bikes, and stand behind their products like no other company i've seen. i say if you like the bike, the price, and the way it rides, go for it. you certainly can't go wrong with RM.

the_dude

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dark Star

BikeGeek said:
The frame looks to be made of the columbus mecano kit. Columbus sells builders premade sections that the builder miters and glues together. If you do a search for the Mecano kit you can probably find the information you're looking for. The lines of the kit especially at the seat tube are pretty distinctive and look exacty like the rocky mountain. Cinelli also sells a mecano based frame but I don't remember the name.
There's a Cinelli "Dark Star" that's Mecano-built. A fat bloke I know rides one and reckon's it's the mutt's nuts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts