Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy some new wheels are the volants good for both training and racings?? I go about 177 lbs. also thinking about easton ea90 slx but abit spooked about my weight and the grams of the eastons help.........

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
neither
go with a hand laced pair
they will be cheeper
lighter
stronger
stiffer

here is an example
white industries h2 hubs
sapim spokes
kinlin xr200 rims

they would weigh
1338 grams in a 20/24 spoke count
and cost about 900$

the white industries h2 hubs are insanely high quality and super stiff
this wheelset would exceed those other two by a mile!!

if you want to go a bit stiffer and more aero you could do a kinlin xr300 which is 30 mm deep?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Volants are great wheels and ROL is very good to do business with. Roadbike Review gives the Volant an award every year for best wheel, or something like that. I ride their Race SL's and love the wheels. They're way under $900.00 too. I'd go with Volants

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
The EA90 SLX is not a good choice at your weight IMO. I would say 150 lbs max. Go regular SL if you want them.

The R4 hubs though, are really nice... not to mention super easy to service.

Sure a custom build would be nice, but considering 2008 EA90 SL/SLX go for ~500 bucks they're a solid wheel for the price.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have give or take 2000 miles on a set of Volants, very happy with them. Nice ride. Have never needed to touch them with a spoke wrench. IMO, great wheels for the price. Caveat - I don't race, so can't answer that part of your question.

Also agree that EA90 SLX may not be a great choice for you. I weigh 175 to 180, and killed an Ascent II rear wheel, which was the SLX predecessor. Loved it while it lasted, though, really nice running hubs. If you go Easton, the SL would be better choice.

·
Registered
586 Posts
allensbk said:
Looking to buy some new wheels are the volants good for both training and racings?? I go about 177 lbs. also thinking about easton ea90 slx but abit spooked about my weight and the grams of the eastons help.........
You can't go wrong with ROL Wheels. Sean, the Owner, stands behind his product 110%.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought some Volants last year. They were great until a spoke popped during a century ride (2000miles on them at the time) Sean was great in sending a couple extra spokes (you will actually get some spares with the wheels) and was willing to reimburse me if I had a mechanic fix the wheel. I ended up loosening all spokes and retensioning myself.

Now I race on them and they are holding up great. Not sure why the spoke broke to begin with. I have 2 other friends on Volants and no problems for them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had a set of ROL volants for about a year. They have been nice wheels. I had one small issue that was promptly addressed. Sean is a good guy to work with. I have a around 4000 miles on mine. I recommend them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts