Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im doing a high end bike build and am looking for wheels. I got some good advice from another thread here.

Right now I am looking at two options. Yes I have considered custom wheels.

ROL race sl are the first option. THey are supposed to be great, and have great customer service.

My second option is the Fulcrum race Zero's. THey are also susposed to be pretty darn good, and have a little more flash to them with colour and brand name, though the rols would also match the bike.

SO, Price may not be as large a factor in this. RIght now, the fulcrums are only going to cost me $385 ish CAD more all told after shipping etc.

In your opinions would it be worth the money to go with the Fulcrums? The site I would get them from is in the UK (wiggle has no shipping fees for those wheels to canada) while rol is in the USA, and I dont know if that factors in for maintainance or not.

Thanks for the input, Im pretty indecisive at times, and if im not impulse buying, then I fence sit a LOT!

·
Registered
18 Posts
call Sean at ROL

I have a set of RaceSL's that are in the mail today. This is what made me go with ROL sight unseen. It's the customer service. I can't speak to how good the wheels are yet, but will let you know as soon as I get them on the bike. I spoke to Sean at ROL and after talking to him felt completely at ease with ordering a set from him. I am usually a brick and mortar type person who likes to kick tires at LBS. I could have easily had my local guys build me up a set, but after talking to Sean a few things hit me. One, I would have a set of wheels that few others in my area have(yeah I like to be different). Two, I could have bought another set of ksyriums (nothing wrong with them), but now I have a set of handbuilt wheels. And lastly and most importantly Sean says to me "if you don't like them send them back to me". Ok, business is business, most big corporate brands wouldn't take back something like this just because you don't like them. there has to be something wrong with them, broke, wrong fit, etc... you know the deal. Sean stands behind his product. Call him/ email him, once you talk to him you will understand. I know this sounds like a bunch of advertising praise. But I assure you in the last couple of months I was making the same decisions, ROL vs Williams, vs. Reynolds, or Mavics.
So, here's the rub I haven't ridden them yet. But I am pretty good about my gut feelings and if my gut is right and this guys' product is as good as everyone here says and from talking to him I think I will be very happy. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get them on the bike and go have some fun.... that is if I actually come back in from riding.... Good luck and hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THanks for the advice, that goes along with all that I have heard online here and otherwise. I had actually ordered a set of race sl's even before posting this, and wanted to just hear from some others about how good they actually are since I had never actually seen a set in person before.
One big problem though is that my basement deveoloped some problems, that has changed my plans drastically. I went from big wheel budget to no wheel budget.
What I can say is that I had been in communication with Sean who was more than understanding and was able to cancel my order. SO I appreciate the service he offered, but I will have to wait before getting a set of wheels on my bike.

Heres to dry basements!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Wittigrxn said:
Yes I have considered custom wheels.
I have to wonder what customs you have considered and rejected... and why.

Regarding Fulcrums... Campy makes good wheels... but a friend with Fulcrums at the local TT last week got a flat while warming up, and could not even get the tire *off* with Pedros tire levers. They were super tight. He said he blew 3 tubes just getting the tire on the first time. This is typical for Campy, so you can view it as either a benefit (if you blow a tire it will never accidentally come off) or a major PITA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SInce I will need to put off my purchase, all the thinking will be more of a mental excersize at this point...

But I had looked at various combonations of custom wheels with similar 30mm deep rims, generally of niobium type, with various manufacturers, but had also looked at some dt swiss hoops too.

As well, I had looked at various hubs, I wanted somthing light with a good rep and reasonable price. I had gained a bit of a fancy for white coloured hubs and they are relativly hard to find, but both Tune, and Dt swiss make sets. The dt swiss ones are the 240s in that colour. I also looked at some White industries hubs too.

Any of those rim/hub combos, typically with the ct xray spokes, or dtswiss areolytes.

They generally came out to reasonable prices and weights, with the tune hubs making the lightest sets for the money that I could see. A plus to the custom ones is that they are pretty easy to maintain given that they tend to have more traditional spoke patterns and no crazy hubs/spokes. Heck, I was thinking of building them myself, but I dont know if I have enough wheels built under my belt to really trust myself with expensive stuff that I want to last!

Why I thought of the ROl wheels was because of the rep that he is getting online for great cusotmer service, quality and price. I have to say that the price is pretty darned good, with a decent weight, not the lightest but definetly not the heaviest.
It seemed to fit my needs, for all round wheel, with a bit of an aero touch for generaly, road riding, occasional crits and triathlons too.

But, it will be put off for now. Thankfully I have my old bike, which I still really enjoy riding.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You can't build a similar wheelset for the same money as the ROLs. I tried...
Nio30 rims, a good set of hubs (DT Swiss or White Ind) with CX-Rays or Aerolites, PLUS labor to build them comes out to @ 10-20% more than the ROLs.

$589 Race SLs

Nio30 rims - $80 x 2 = $160
White Hubs - $395/set
DT Aerolite spokes - 44 spokes x $2.65 = $116.60 (wheelbuilder.com prices)
labor - $40 per wheel = $80 (cost @ my LBS)

Total - $751.60
You can probably find a builder who will charge less, but RETAIL vs. RETAIL, the ROLs are a better deal.

The Race SLs are handbuilt and the hubs are extemely well put together and are dead ass smooth. Mine are as smooth as my White Ind hubs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.