Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

When I ride on my rollers after about 20 minutes I seem to go numb in the johnson. I'm assuming its a circulation problem and may have to do with my saddle. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds like you need a bit more resistance at the pedals. If you're spinning without much resistance, your taint will sit more heavily on the saddle. Stick a towel under the rear roller. Also, lift your butt off the saddle once in a while.

·
Registered
153 Posts
holdenJames said:
Hey,

When I ride on my rollers after about 20 minutes I seem to go numb in the johnson. I'm assuming its a circulation problem and may have to do with my saddle. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Johnson numbness is something that should NOT go ignored....I suffered from this, it's heavily discussed here http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=152465

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I too go numb a little over 20 minutes on the rollers.
Never on the road. I have tried several saddles. Some are better than others but still have numbness. I usually just get off, stretch, do some crunches or lift a rep or two. Then go back at it for another 20-30 minutes.

I would love a solution but to be honest, I get somewhat bored after 20 or so minutes anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I switched to Specialized Toupe saddle and really had to work with the angle of the saddle, but I don't get numb like I did before. It was mainly a problem on the rollers. I also stand up every 5 minutes and take a minute break every 20-25 minutes which also helped.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't think that it's a saddle issue at all, so you don't have to go shopping.
I'm pretty sure that it's a roller issue.
I can do 5 + hour rides on the road with no problems, but I get issues after about 45 minutes on the rollers.
I think that you need to learn how to stand up for 20-30 seconds every 10 minutes or so, also try shifting your position on the sdalle every couple of minutes, the problem is that on the rollers, if you don;t think about it, you really never move at all and that places lots of pressure for an extended period of time on your sensitive area, while on the road, even if you are not thinking about it you are always shifting your body weight around due to slight changes in wind or road grade.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Even if your bike is in perfect adjustment for your body you'll get different feelings riding on rollers and a trainer. On the road I never have a problem.. On rollers I go numb after 30 minutes.

I can stand and ride no handed on them and try to vary my position as much as possible. Sadly I still can't change it up enough to simulate the road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I use them more it's less of a problem. I do stand up and use more resistance now and that does seem to help.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i bet it's your saddle (poor) position, position and position. check the height and the tilt. also check to see if the saddle is in A1 condition, not broken, not sagged due to age etc. and then check your bibs too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Even if your bike is in perfect adjustment for your body you'll get different feelings riding on rollers and a trainer. On the road I never have a problem.. On rollers I go numb after 30 minutes.

I can stand and ride no handed on them and try to vary my position as much as possible. Sadly I still can't change it up enough to simulate the road.
What he said. If your fit is good on the road, don't start adjusting stuff for rollers. Rollers give a good cardio workout and perfect your balance, but they are at best a poor simulation of the road. If you can't change positions enough to keep from going numb, then just stop every so often, get off the seat for 30 seconds, and then start riding again. In an hour roller ride, I probably do this 3 to 4 times, as standing for any period of time difficult.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
Some suggestions to relieve some pressure in that area:

Raise your handle bars or tip them up a bit, tip the seat upwards and get a seat with an ergonomic channel. My brother had pain issues down there. This all helped him greatly he said.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
A quick follow up.. I got outside on the roads for the first time this year yesterday. I only did a short 10 mile ride but in that time I didn't have any numbness or weird feelings like I get on my rollers. Just goes to show that even a perfectly fitted bike isn't perfect during simulated conditions.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
You had numbness after only 10 mins on the rollers? That would be pretty awful to deal with all winter long...I'm kind of surprised you are just bringing it up now? Do you use the same bike? Do the rollers cause you to use a different form than outdoors therefore creating pressure where there normally isn't any when you ride outdoors? I would definitely continue to seek out the problem your having indoors, that can't be good for your system.

Check these out:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080807175444.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=84072

http://esciencenews.com/articles/20...xual.problems.if.they.don.t.choose.right.bike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.