Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for a friend looking for a new wheelset. He's a 165 lb rider currently running Ksyriums SL's. There aren't many reviews on the Rolf Elan Aeros and he doesn't know too much about the Eastons. He puts in quite a few miles ( 2 Centuries last weekend) so hoping to get some feedback or recommendations.

Thanks

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
rcsting said:
I'm posting this for a friend looking for a new wheelset. He's a 165 lb rider currently running Ksyriums SL's. There aren't many reviews on the Rolf Elan Aeros and he doesn't know too much about the Eastons. He puts in quite a few miles ( 2 Centuries last weekend) so hoping to get some feedback or recommendations.

Thanks
Rolf Elan Aeros
Very stiff for its weight (under 1300 grams). I weigh around 145 lbs. Smooth hubs. Great for accelerations and especially climbing. I love using these on 1 mile crits (4 turns). You can find them for under $700 brand new w/ wheelbags online if you do a little research.
Loud hubs when freewheeling. Brake surface a little narrow. A slight wobble on the rear wheel but not noticeable on slow and high speeds.
I have a couple of thousand miles on mine, no problems at all with the exception of the narrow braking surface.

·
Registered
27 Posts
where do they rolf elans for under $700 new?

I've searched online to no avail and ended up purchasing a new set $749 shipped, but no wheel bags. Mind you, I want the 2006 silver version, and most places i've checked only stock black.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I recently bought some Ascent IIs (under the Velomax name, but same wheels) as an "upgrade" for the two year old Bontrager Race X Lites that came with my Trek 5500. The Ascents roll a bit more smoothly than the Bontragers and are light (a claimed 1419g), but they had to be trued within a month of use, while the Bontragers lasted two years on the same roads, the same potholes, without any issue. I weigh 165, by the way. I like the Ascents, but after experiencing their fragility, I wouldn't buy another pair, although I might consider the Orions, which are the same wheel, but with extra spokes for strength.

In other words, if I were in your friend's position, I would stick with the Ksyriums, which may be a little heavier, but they should take a lot more punishment than the Eastons.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Orion II or Ksyrium...can't go wrong!

I have about 3K miles on my pair of Orion IIs. No problem whatsoever. They've been good to me. My wife has the Ascent IIs and I agree with the other user's post. Comparing the Orion IIs vs. Ksyriums, I don't think you can make a bad decision. They both weigh nearly the same. Based on their design, I would expect the Ks to be a little more stiff. Some characterize this as "harsh" others call it "responsive". A lot depends on what frame material you mount them to. Personally, I opted for the Orions because they're made in the USA and their plant is 20 minutes north of where I live. Also, although I don't have any personal experience, word on the street amongst my team is Easton/Velomax customer service is outstanding. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts