Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else will be doing the GranFondo on the 11th? Anybody?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I'm there. Riding the "Giro" which is the race, which is now a BC Cup. Current form moderately low, current morale lower with current weather forecast. $$ investment high. What does this equal exactly??

·
Banned
257 Posts
I have put away the summer bike and taken out the rain bike, the one with full fenders.

I will be slower, but I will be dry(er).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am in as well.

I dont know what to wear. Fenders tempting.

Did some rides this week in rubber see thru shell jacket and I was wet underneath. Not sure if I should bother.....

What do the Giro guys wear? just jerseys?

It looks like 70% chance of rain and about 13-16c possible.....

·
Banned
257 Posts
I am debating tights rather than leg warmers, there appears to be little chance to pull the warmers off.

long fingered gloves, booties, wool undershirt and rain jacket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
louise said:
I am debating tights rather than leg warmers, there appears to be little chance to pull the warmers off.

long fingered gloves, booties, wool undershirt and rain jacket.

:skep: I am watching the weather reports closely and still unsure what its going to do.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wooho! They've changed the weather outlook, and say the rain won't come until the afternoon. Go speedy and you may avoid it all together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:
Wooho! They've changed the weather outlook, and say the rain won't come until the afternoon. Go speedy and you may avoid it all together.
Yep, looks better than it did yesturday.

Hopefully the roads are dry for the ride.

Your right though, I dont think I will be enjoying the scenery too much on this one.

:arf:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kenacycle said:
Weather looks to be improving for Vancouver, however the forecast for Whistler is still wet all day.

This right now from environment canada.......

Cloudy with sunny periods. 30 percent chance of showers early in the morning. High 14.

Looks good to me! :aureola: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Turned out to be a great day! No rain, haha!

aNYONE get any updates on the dude that did a faceplant on the highway? Apparently his face didnt look to good.....

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Well the weather turned out much better than predicted all week! Sunday definitely served as a cold reminder of what the Fondo could have been. Yuck. Passed quite a few guys/gals riding down on Sunday....yikes that would have been a cold wet one.

My Giro was a mix of pleasure and pain. Awesome to fly across the Lions Gate Bridge. But reality hit when I punctured just after the turn off Taylor Way onto the Upper Levels Hwy. Guys in the Giro were already shelled on Taylor so I had a bit of a wait for a wheel, but it was a quick change once they arrived, and I got a great push to get going (thanks Bike Gallery!!). I had to chase solo like mad for about 10 minutes and got back to the field just before Horseshoe Bay. Whew, lost a few bullets there. Made my way up front, heckled eventual winner Pinfold for a bit. Then we hit Furry Creek and it was ON. I was the last guy ejected from the front group there, regroup and repeat a few km later at Brittania Beach. General regrouping into Squamish, then it was single-file all the way out of Squamish and the gaps started opening up. I was not positioned forward enough here and paid the price. I ended up in the 2nd group which eventually became the 3rd group when the front group split. Rolled it the rest of the way, only a few guys willing to take pulls as is usual. Then entered Whistler and all the other guys who have sat on for 30 km start attacking. Attacked myself, then my teammate attacked and we split the group.....into the finish and some d-bag almost took my teammate and myself out while sprinting for a likely 30th place. Some heated words afterwards, sorry if anyone overheard. Then bike corral, confusion, and a long walk across to the porta-potties. Food, chocolate milk, check into hotel, shower, nap, beers, food, beers, food, more beers....and then a system shutdown.

All in all a great day, well organized, cones were not as dangerous as I thought they might be but it would have different if there were any crosswind sections. My only suggestion to improve is to have the porta-potties be near the arrival/bike corral!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Eric_H said:
Well the weather turned out much better than predicted all week! Sunday definitely served as a cold reminder of what the Fondo could have been. Yuck. Passed quite a few guys/gals riding down on Sunday....yikes that would have been a cold wet one.

My Giro was a mix of pleasure and pain. Awesome to fly across the Lions Gate Bridge. But reality hit when I punctured just after the turn off Taylor Way onto the Upper Levels Hwy. Guys in the Giro were already shelled on Taylor so I had a bit of a wait for a wheel, but it was a quick change once they arrived, and I got a great push to get going (thanks Bike Gallery!!). I had to chase solo like mad for about 10 minutes and got back to the field just before Horseshoe Bay. Whew, lost a few bullets there. Made my way up front, heckled eventual winner Pinfold for a bit. Then we hit Furry Creek and it was ON. I was the last guy ejected from the front group there, regroup and repeat a few km later at Brittania Beach. General regrouping into Squamish, then it was single-file all the way out of Squamish and the gaps started opening up. I was not positioned forward enough here and paid the price. I ended up in the 2nd group which eventually became the 3rd group when the front group split. Rolled it the rest of the way, only a few guys willing to take pulls as is usual. Then entered Whistler and all the other guys who have sat on for 30 km start attacking. Attacked myself, then my teammate attacked and we split the group.....into the finish and some d-bag almost took my teammate and myself out while sprinting for a likely 30th place. Some heated words afterwards, sorry if anyone overheard. Then bike corral, confusion, and a long walk across to the porta-potties. Food, chocolate milk, check into hotel, shower, nap, beers, food, beers, food, more beers....and then a system shutdown.

All in all a great day, well organized, cones were not as dangerous as I thought they might be but it would have different if there were any crosswind sections. My only suggestion to improve is to have the porta-potties be near the arrival/bike corral!

Nice writeup! How fast do you guys go up that hill after squamish? Whats the avg KM per hour if you glanced at your computer....(be honest).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts