Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let's get this started! I was out riding in Woodside this weekend and drove home down foothill. I came across hundreds and hundreds of riders. And that's just the south bay in early season, I hear the North bay, East bay and other areas are huge meccas of riding as well. Where are you at and what are your favorite rides? What's your Old La Honda time?

Who:
Francis aka 'francois' riding a Colnago CT1. Been riding for 3 years and am based in Saratoga.

Where:
You'll most often find me along the Foothill Expwy artery. From home, I'll do Stevens creek reservoir, Montebello or Pierce. On weekends, I'll make my way to Woodside, Portola Valley

Last year I discovered the Spectrum ride and the Valley ride. I can't believe how many fast riders there are! Riding with Dylan Casey and Eric Wohlberg in the Valley ride is surreal.

Favorite climbs are the lane-and-half roads of Old La Honda and Kings Mountain road. I started last year climbing OLH in 27 minutes. Got it down to 21.5 mins by the end of the season. I better see some 20s this year.

Favorite loops, Old La Honda - Alpine - Page mill is awesome. Old La Honda- Pescadero-Stage-Tunitas Creek is breathtaking. The Mt. Hamilton climb never disappoints.

Goals: race Sea Otter road race, try Mt. Diablo, ride in Marin.

What about y'all??

francois

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Who:
Jed Peters, aka Jed Peters. Riding an IF steel bike. Been roadie riding for year and a half. Never thought I'd do it, but I like it.

Where: Sacramento Area. Found on the flats, usually on the Am. River Bike Trail, Airport Loop or Elk Grove-Sac (South River Road). Sometimes ride hills. When I have to.

Favorite Climbs: Not. But the ones in Tuscany last year were great, becasue they were gradual. Probably the Sassetta Climb in southern Tuscany.

Goals: Move up to 4. (7 more races!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're right in my neighborhood

You're right in my neighborhood!

But there's so many riders out here though, I'm not even gonna say, "maybe we've met on the roads"... That might be a longshot...

Who:
Pete, south-bay.

Where:
Montebello, Page Mill, or Kings Mountain usually. Or riding the back-roads of Cupertino/Los Gatos/Monte Sereno/Saratoga if it's a sub-2k ft. day.

Favorite climb is Montebello. 45 min on a road bike, or add 10 min for the MTB.

Favorite loops, up Page Mill, down Montebello, if on the cross bike and ride the dirt section. Otherwise up Kings Mtn, down 84, up Tunitas, back down is a favorite. McKean/Uvas too... Getting more into the Santa Cruz area - Black, Bear Creek, Zyantte, Summit, etc... Also doing the "no big climbs" loop of San Jose to Mt Eden/Pierce/Villa Montalvo/Los Gatos/Kennedy/Campbell/ back to SJ.

Goals: Get into B-class cross next season. Do Tierra Bella and Sequoia centuries, and do a late-season 200k.

I'll be on the lookout for your CT1!!!

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Who:
Janet - riding the funky looking blue Terry Classic.

Where:
Palo Alto, Los Altos Foothills or down by the resevoirs - Calero, Uvas etc.

Favorite climbs are the ones I can do!

Favorite loops, Burrito run, Almaden to Morgan Hill via the reservoirs. If I'm feeling good back by way of Willow Springs.

Goals: Get back into shape, ride the AIDS/LifeCycle, 60 mile Holstein in Marin, and maybe Mt. Hamilton. (Or maybe next year..... :eek: )

·
Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
Ride everywhere!

PseuZQ: on a silver OCLV with Ksyrium Elites, white Ghisallo helmet, silver Sidis, usually wearing Briko sunglasses. I will never, ever care if you grab my wheel, and if I don't wave or say hi it's probably only becuase I didn't see you or am nearing a bonk or something.

Favorite rides: Depends on my mood and the weather. Do the Woodside/Pescadero/Tunitas run a lot. Also like to ride in West Marin, and the East Bay.
Like Diablo, Morgan Territory, and a Livermore/Corral Hollow/Patterson/DelPuerto Canyon loop. Like the Hamilton century loop going both ways. Also like the Napa/Berryessa area and did a nice ride last fall from Pope Valley to Lower Lake and back...may head up there this weekend.

Don't even get me started on riding in the Sierra and the desert!!

We should have a secret handshake or something....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Who:
Travis South Bay riding a Giant TCR1 Carbon

Favorite Climb:
Usually do highway 9 to the top once a week I love the downhill

Favorite Loop:
The Woodside, 84, Stage, Tunitas, Kings loop.

OLH time is 18-23 minutes depends on how fresh I am.

Goals:
To be a cat 4 by the end of the year. 5 more races to go.

·
Roadbikereview member
192 Posts
Hello from across the valley

Who: Rick, North SJ on a Colnago C-93
Where: Eastern Santa Clara foothills, South Valley
Favorite climbs:Mt. Hamilton-Quimby Rd. loop
Favorite loop: Bici ride loop SJ to Morgan Hill via backroads, Calaveras to Sunol loop.
Goals: Just keep riding :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Jed Peters said:
Who:
Jed Peters, aka Jed Peters. Riding an IF steel bike. Been roadie riding for year and a half. Never thought I'd do it, but I like it.

Where: Sacramento Area. Found on the flats, usually on the Am. River Bike Trail, Airport Loop or Elk Grove-Sac (South River Road). Sometimes ride hills. When I have to.

Favorite Climbs: Not. But the ones in Tuscany last year were great, becasue they were gradual. Probably the Sassetta Climb in southern Tuscany.

Goals: Move up to 4. (7 more races!)

I live in Sac as well. near the corner of Auburn-folsom rd and Douglas Blvd. some climbs you may want to try are Indian Hill, ridge rd, and the long heartbreaking climb of foresthill rd.. The ride around folsom lake is a tough one, 5300 feet of climbing in about 54 miles. I also ride the american river parkway in the early season, look for me on a red- blue waterford or a soon to be painted green-yellow IF crown jewel.. perhaps we could get toethr for a ride..

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
rollinrob said:
I live in Sac as well. near the corner of Auburn-folsom rd and Douglas Blvd. some climbs you may want to try are Indian Hill, ridge rd, and the long heartbreaking climb of foresthill rd.. The ride around folsom lake is a tough one, 5300 feet of climbing in about 54 miles. I also ride the american river parkway in the early season, look for me on a red- blue waterford or a soon to be painted green-yellow IF crown jewel.. perhaps we could get toethr for a ride..
Done 'em all, thanks Rob.

Look for me in an MTBR.com kit, or my wife in a Velo Bella kit. There's two Bellas in our area....so she's bound to be one of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who:
Walter. 2004 Madone, 1970's Rossin Record Based out of Folsom, California I have been riding since I can remember

Where:
American River bike trail, Salmon Falls to Coloma, Placerville etc etc I love cycling the Foothills...

Favorite climbs:
Mormon Immigrant Trail, 23 miles up up and more up... Janesville Grade Rd outside of Susanville, 5 miles of pure hell...

Favorite Loop:
Chester near Lake Almanor to Susanville, Janesville Grade to Antelope Lake to Greenville then back to Chester.. about 135 miles or so...

Goals: To ride the Alps stages of the Tour in July then off to Italy for a week

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Ride in Marin

Who:
Mike Euritt

Where:
Live in Marin, Bike the entire north bay from Eureka to SF and some around Napa and Sacramento too. you Sacramentans (my home town ), look for me on the first Saturday ride along the American River Bike Path with the SacBent's

Favorite loops,

Tiburon/Paradise Loop, China Camp, Nicassio Reservoir, Mt Tam, Napa Valley and Wine Country around Healdsburg. Ferry from Larkspur to SF then ride home, or for something different, ride down and sail back.

Goals: 4000 miles this year, including Clear Lake, Lake Tahoe, Great Western Bicycle Rally, Tour of the Lost Coast, Tour de Palm Springs, and Sea Otter and maybe Seattle to Portland. Several overnight tours are planned, including here to Santa Cruz/Monterey. May do my first double this year

I ride funny bikes usually, regular bikes occasionaly, but usually I am on one of my many recumbents, including a three wheel tandem that sometimes has a two wheel trailer for touring.

FAVORITE CLIMB, Mt Tam, Franz Valley Rd in Napa/Sonoma, and the Marshall Wall. Looking forwad to going up Diablo this year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
WHO:
Frank - (retired at age 54 believe it or not!) I've been riding road bikes for about 8 months now. Wanted something that would keep me in shape without wrecking my knees running. I started by buying a pretty blue & yellow Litespeed Sirius from Gary at Bici bikes, and then my wife got me a TREK 5900 UL for a birthday/Xmas present. I love to ride 'em both. I always wear a red white and blue US Postal Giro helmet.

WHERE:
I live in the Almaden Valley of San Jose, and my usual ride is around the Calero, Chesboro, and Uvas resevoir areas (all located in the Southern part of the Santa Clara County).

However, after seeing the Palo Alto Bike Shop website listing a lot of rides up that way, I've been going up there and doing some exploring of their listed "Loops". What a beautiful area, except for Hwy 92, where I came way too close to getting squished by a big rig.

Recently, I've been trying my hand at some local climbs...Hwy 9 to (Saratoga to Skyline), King's Mtn., Metcalf Rd, and Hicks Rd. The climbs really give me a feeling of acomplishment and seem to improve my overall stamina.

GOALS:
My general goal is to continue getting retirement checks by not getting squished, staying fit, learning more about this teriffic sport, and experience more and different rides and interesting people.

·
Who's your daddy?
47 Posts
francois said:
George, been riding road since 98 or so. Curently riding a blue Bianchi Giro with a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra parts and Kyrium Elites. Have an old steel lugged frame hanging in the garage that's going to be a fixed gear next season.

Patterson, CA. You bay area blokes may know where it is. The Patterson Early Bird Race is held in my home canyon every year.

Favorite climbs
Well, favorite is a touchy word. But I've climbed up to Mnt. Hamilton starting from my house. That last 6 miles up the switch backs was a pain, especially since I was already 40 miles into the ride.

Favorite loops,
Snelling/Hornitos/BearValley/Old Toll/Hornitos/Snelling Old Toll is so rough I'm sure it's where I cracked my carbon fork.

Modesto to Knights Ferry, up Sonora Rd, back on Orange Blossum.... just some nice rollers.

Wed night practice race out of Turlock.

To finish the long loop on the Wed night rides and not get dropped.

george

·
Registered
507 Posts
Paul, in Berkeley Hills

Who- Paul, 48, back riding after a 5+ yr. layoff.
What- A new Specialized Roubaix, the closest thing to a road bike I've had after yrs of touring bikes.
Where- in and around the Berkeley Hills, Orinda, Moraga, anyplace I can get to w/o getting in the car first.
Favorite loop- Wildcat Canyon Rd to the Three Bears loop and back.
Goals- Strictly recreational- lose another 10 pounda and find the time and energy to get up to 100 miles a week.

·
grasso e lento
116 Posts
Ummmmmmm

Who:
Today my son said I was "Nick".... So I am "Nick" aka Dude :D

Where:
Palo Alto, Gilroy, Los Altos Foothills or down by the resevoirs - Calero, Uvas etc.

Favorite climbs:
Hwy 9 and Mt Hamilton

Favorite loops:
The Mt. Hamilton climb never disappoints. Almaden to Morgan Hill via the reservoirs. And anyone that I can do with my kids....

Goals: race Wente, Mt Hamilton, Giro San Jose, Sea Otter + the velodrome and not die.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Who :Jeff Molvik.
What: I ride a Scattante CFR all stock except the cassette. I'm still agonizing over the saddle. Wearing a white jersey, red Bell Alchera helmet, and blue Nike Hautacams.
Where : the area around Livermore usually
favorite climbs : the downhill part ^_^ but I usually do Patterson Pass, or up to Del Valle.
Goals: to lose 20 Lbs. and complete a century by the end of the year

·
Registered
514 Posts
Who: John
TiSport with Ultegra and a Look HSC3 fork
Been riding thirteen years

Where: I live in Martinez and have some great rides a short ride from my front door.
Favorite rides:
Up Franklin Canyon, up McEwen through Crockett, up Cummings Sky Way, Crocket Blvd up McEwen again the other way and back home

Over Pig Farm, Castro Ranch Rd, San Pablo Dam Reservoir, The Bears over Pig Farm again and home.

Canal Trail to North Gate then up Mt.Diablo. Or to Danville and South Gate and up Mt Diablo.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Who:
Arie, riding a '01 Giant OCR1, and have an order for a custom frame (2 more months)
I am riding for 3 years only, but REALLY riding for one year. Miles to date (since Jan '04) 1100 miles.

Where:
foot hill is my access road, so you'll find me on short rides (an hour) going up Stevens creek canyon to Mt Eden. On weekends I will typically go Foot hill, junipero, alpine, portola valley, OLH road, skyline, 84 down to woodside, back to postorla valley, to alpine, to arestadero, via los altos hills, Los altos gold course, foot hills, home.. ~50 miles.. this year I will do 2 centuries (at least) Tierra Bella (end of march) and ICare (may 22).

Goals: hills hills..
I would love to be able to go up page mill and enjoy it.. right now it is still hell..

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Who:
Tim, riding a 2003 black Pinarello Prince SL

Where:
Folsom, Ca, generally doing Lake Natoma laps then up to Beales Point.

Favorite climbs:
Iowa Hill out of Colfax, chomping at the bit to try The Corkscrew at Ralston Power House.

Favorite loops:
Folsom-Auburn-Roseville-Folsom (prefer to climb Indian Hill and descend Folsom-Auburn)
Iowa Hill Loop

Goals: Complete 3 doubles this year, ride a century with 10k climbing, complete 'Worlds Hardest Training Ride' (Iowa Hill loop + Rubicon Loop)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Who:
Eddie, Castro Valley/Santa Cruz

What:
2003 Santa Cruz Roadster (apple green)

Where:
Woodside Area after work most days (including an occasional wed ride from Los Altos), and Redwood/Skyline or Palomares most weekends.

Goals:
hmm, I'm doing DeathRide this year, and I suppose it would be nice to do Old La Honda in under 18min soon.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts