Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas out there regarding whether or not roller workouts might have any ill effects on one's bike? In the past, I have always had a spare bike dedicated to the rollers but currently only have bikes that I would prefer not to misuse or abuse...I do not really think that I am particularly hard on the bikes when they are on the rollers and try to keep them dry with towels etc. during the workout. Any thoughts or ideas on minimizing the wear and tear of roller workouts which I find inevitable at this time of year?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Other than sweat I feel the bike takes less abuse.

I use a fan to reduce sweating an wipe the bike down with a damp towel and air dry.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
drew, with all due respect: it's a tool, not a jewel ;) relax.

drew said:
Any ideas out there regarding whether or not roller workouts might have any ill effects on one's bike?

·
Banned
936 Posts
Search. .

drew said:
Any ideas out there regarding whether or not roller workouts might have any ill effects on one's bike?
This has been beaten to death. Answer? No different than riding on the road. Moreover, I don't even notice additional tire wear. Yet another plus for rollers.
:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
pigpen said:
Other than sweat I feel the bike takes less abuse.

I use a fan to reduce sweating an wipe the bike down with a damp towel and air dry.
I use one of those sweat catchers that loops on your seatpost and then attaches to your handlebars... works really well, keeps the sweat off the bike. Pretty cheap, too.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Thar she blows

pigpen said:
To echo pigpen, you absolutely should be using one or more window fans, otherwise your pulse is elevated just from heat stress, not from exercise. You could do the same sitting in a sauna. Rollers are less stress on the bike than the road because of the smooth surface. All other forces are the same, except no pavement cracks, rocks, cold patch, or potholes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
pigpen said:
The sweat catcher thing works great on trainers but I don't like them while riding rollers.
Any particular reason why? I don't even notice it's there once I get rolling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
botto said:
drew, with all due respect: it's a tool, not a jewel ;) relax.
It may be a tool but I try to care for my tools as well...plus, were talking about some pretty sweet tools... and spendy too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kerry Irons said:
To echo pigpen, you absolutely should be using one or more window fans, otherwise your pulse is elevated just from heat stress, not from exercise. You could do the same sitting in a sauna. Rollers are less stress on the bike than the road because of the smooth surface. All other forces are the same, except no pavement cracks, rocks, cold patch, or potholes.
That was my general sense that there shouldn't be any untoward stresses but thought I'd throw the idea out there...your comment regarding heart rate effects of heat stress is a good point. I tend to be in a cooler area in the house but should probably add a fan after I warm-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts