Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something for indoors when its raining or cold out. Want to be able to work on getting miles in and work on my cardio base. Would it be better to get rollers or a trainer?

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Probably rollers

RyanM said:
Looking for something for indoors when its raining or cold out. Want to be able to work on getting miles in and work on my cardio base. Would it be better to get rollers or a trainer?
Rollers are fine for any kind of training except out of the saddle sprints. Rollers will help you smooth out your pedaling style and teach you to ride in a very steady straight line. Rollers build both fitness and skills.

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
RyanM said:
What is the main point for trainers then? To build strength and speed?
Depends on the quality of the trainer and your level of motivation. But it sure won't be strength (no riding will build strength).

Some trainers will make good bike stands and/or dust collectors.
Others are excellent at helping you improve cycling fitness if you actually ride them.

What matters most is doing the work at the right intensities in the right quantities, be that outdoors, indoors, rollers or trainer. Not all rollers enable sufficient resistance for higher intensity efforts, so it pays to check that.

If you do need to ride indoors, then make sure it on equipment and with a set up that encourages training rather than becomes demotivating.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Ultimately, both are still around because they both offer different valuable options for training. I simply use my rollers for longer workouts and my trainer for intervals. It works for me.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll - love it!

This is the trainer that sways from side to side - this feature has helped me improve my pedalling smoothness considerably. The first couple times, I was bouncing all over the place. After a few rides, I've smoothed out, and it helps with my endurance during the interval training.

I use it for both 1 hr interval sessions (with the Spinerval DVD's) as well as 2-3 hour rides in front of the TV. I'll ride at a good clip during the shows, then sprint out of the saddle during the commercial breaks.

Granted, I'd rather be outside riding, but there are times when it just isn't in the cards.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Sonomasnap said:
I get snow but rain and cold don't cancel races. Get out there and ride.
Actually this summer, a RR was almost cancelled because the bottom of a descent was under water. :p

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Sonomasnap said:
You asked about training. If you can't train in rain and cold you are not taking your training seriously enough imho.
Other than familiarity, is there an athletic advantage to training in the rain? Do you gain a few watts by having to clean your bike again?

I'm not a chicken or anything, but I tend to avoid certain races in very wet conditions (lots of corners, too flat, etc). Given the minimal prize money in my category, replacement parts and x-rays aren't terribly worth it in my book.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I understand avoiding certain races to a degree. As far as prize money goes, lol, please. You don't race for the money unless you are pro. As far as training in the cold, rain, you avoid the mind numbing boredom of sitting in your basement for 2 hours, sweating like a pig and generally hating the thought of your next "ride". The reason they make different layers of clothing, booties, gloves etc... is so you can weather the cold/storm as it were. You will also get better handling skills if you ride in the rain. Then if there is a wet race you won't be freaked out.

I have a computrainer but probably use it less than 15 times a year. The only thing that keeps me inside is snow and ice.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Sonomasnap said:
I understand avoiding certain races to a degree. As far as prize money goes, lol, please. You don't race for the money unless you are pro. As far as training in the cold, rain, you avoid the mind numbing boredom of sitting in your basement for 2 hours, sweating like a pig and generally hating the thought of your next "ride". The reason they make different layers of clothing, booties, gloves etc... is so you can weather the cold/storm as it were. You will also get better handling skills if you ride in the rain. Then if there is a wet race you won't be freaked out.

I have a computrainer but probably use it less than 15 times a year. The only thing that keeps me inside is snow and ice.
I don't race FOR money, but racing is enough of a money pit as is. My crash last year cost me some nice shorts and a couple replacement parts for my bike.

As for wet handling, there's some benefit, but the basic understanding is that you're not nearly as in control as you'd like to be is where it's at. Freaking out is just as dangerous as being overconfident.

Given my very odd job hours, I basically have to ride indoors since I'm not a fan of the dark (mostly the drivers). It's really not that bad if you know what you need to be doing and have the discipline to do so.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
I mountain bike race, but usually for a few months in the winter (and that is in So Cal!) I train during the week 2x on my trainer. I like the solid workouts I can get in for 1.5-2 hrs either in the dark hours of morning or the dark hours of evening.

I could do high cadence drills, one legged drills, intervals, etc. on the road, but I usually find when I get off the trainer and out on the bike I'm pretty strong. Has worked for me the last 2 years.

That being said, I train outdoors the other 3-5 days of the week. Trained probably in worse weather this year than ever before (sleet/hail, driving rain, gail force winds, 100F heat, etc.). Good to mix it up, but I still like my trainer for base drills!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts