Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Rollers or Trainer for these scenarios..?

893 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  allison 
Ultimately, both are still around because they both offer different valuable options for training. I simply use my rollers for longer workouts and my trainer for intervals. It works for me.

Sonomasnap said:
You asked about training. If you can't train in rain and cold you are not taking your training seriously enough imho.
Other than familiarity, is there an athletic advantage to training in the rain? Do you gain a few watts by having to clean your bike again?

I'm not a chicken or anything, but I tend to avoid certain races in very wet conditions (lots of corners, too flat, etc). Given the minimal prize money in my category, replacement parts and x-rays aren't terribly worth it in my book.

Sonomasnap said:
I understand avoiding certain races to a degree. As far as prize money goes, lol, please. You don't race for the money unless you are pro. As far as training in the cold, rain, you avoid the mind numbing boredom of sitting in your basement for 2 hours, sweating like a pig and generally hating the thought of your next "ride". The reason they make different layers of clothing, booties, gloves etc... is so you can weather the cold/storm as it were. You will also get better handling skills if you ride in the rain. Then if there is a wet race you won't be freaked out.

I have a computrainer but probably use it less than 15 times a year. The only thing that keeps me inside is snow and ice.
I don't race FOR money, but racing is enough of a money pit as is. My crash last year cost me some nice shorts and a couple replacement parts for my bike.

As for wet handling, there's some benefit, but the basic understanding is that you're not nearly as in control as you'd like to be is where it's at. Freaking out is just as dangerous as being overconfident.

Given my very odd job hours, I basically have to ride indoors since I'm not a fan of the dark (mostly the drivers). It's really not that bad if you know what you need to be doing and have the discipline to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.