Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loving my new kreitler rollers (poly-lyte). i'm learning that my form wasn't as smooth as i thought, but it's now getting there. anyway, instructions from kreitler say to remove the belt when not in use to avoid it stretching. any information on whether or not this lengthens the life of the belt? does anyone really do this?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I always fold the thing, untensioning the belt. I have no information as to whether it extends the life of the belt, because I never have done anything different.

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
Cygnus said:
I'm loving my new kreitler rollers (poly-lyte). i'm learning that my form wasn't as smooth as i thought, but it's now getting there. anyway, instructions from kreitler say to remove the belt when not in use to avoid it stretching. any information on whether or not this lengthens the life of the belt? does anyone really do this?
Yes, I have the Challenger and the Killer Headwind. I fold it, and untension the belts everytime. Not having the belts stretched all the time and in the same shape would surely extend the life of the belts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cygnus said:
I fold mine ( Kreitler Challenger ) and remove the belt from the roller. Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to all 3 of you

...a regular guy or investor?...an attorney with a muscle car?...and a velodrome cyclist in the village of bella coola, british columbia (highly unlikely)? anyway, thanks, i'll take the tension off by folding. i'm already doing this. seems more convenient than moving the adjustments on the frame and removing the belt, which is under quite abit of tension. rollers have changed me, even as a long time cyclist. i'm centered.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Never untensioned by belt

I've simply left my Performance foldable rollers intact in my basement when not in use. Except for travel they've been tensioned for almost 10 years before finally replacing the belt. I expect the new one to last just as long.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Haven't done it.

I've never done the "relieve tension" thing, but maybe that explains why my roller belt failed after around 20 years/40K miles? Then again, I bought a Kreitler belt as a replacement, and that has been on for over a decade/20K miles and so maybe it's ready to fail at any moment. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I've never done the "relieve tension" thing, but maybe that explains why my roller belt failed after around 20 years/40K miles? Then again, I bought a Kreitler belt as a replacement, and that has been on for over a decade/20K miles and so maybe it's ready to fail at any moment. :)
Boy, that's good to know. I have only had my rollers for a year now and have yet to "relieve tension", I was begining to feel like a slouch. Glad to know I have 19 years to go.

TH

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
20 years!

I could live with that. maybe i won't bother folding the frame, or removing the belt. kind of wish kreitler had given some idea of how important this is (seems grey rather than black and white). also, i'll stop guessing the origins of everyone's alias names (truth?, meow?), except that i did figure out 'kerry irons', in a dream, no less. really! actually, they're plastic, but i do carry them.

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
Cygnus said:
I could live with that. maybe i won't bother folding the frame, or removing the belt. kind of wish kreitler had given some idea of how important this is (seems grey rather than black and white). also, i'll stop guessing the origins of everyone's alias names (truth?, meow?), except that i did figure out 'kerry irons', in a dream, no less. really! actually, they're plastic, but i do carry them.
You figured mine out. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts