Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new hybrid flat bar road bike last week that came with Vittoria Zaffira wire beaded tires (700 x 25).

I noticed after a couple of rides one of the tires had a bulge. The mechanic found out the one of the wires had cut into the tire to cause the issue and I was offered a replacement.

Since they didn't have the same tire as a replacement, they offered me a good deal on a set of Continental Gatorskins (700 X 28) so I bought them.

When I started out my ride today, it seemed I was using a lot more effort to get to the same speed on the Vittoria's.

I did some research and discovered the rolling resistance of the Gatorskin was indeed high compared to most other brands.

This should be expected as the tire is built for ruggedness, not speed but I was taken back by the difference - it was very noticeable.

In the end, I learned it isn't all hype. For most, the difference is so minimal it wouldn't be noticeable but in this case it was.

I attach a link to a web site that measures rolling resistance- interesting IMO.

Continental Gatorskin Rolling Resistance Review

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
FYI, we do have a Wheels & Tires subforum.

One thing about Continentals vs Vittorias is they run much wider. While you think you were going from a 25mm width to a 28mm width, you were really going from a 25mm width to a ~31mm width. Continentals definitely run wide. I recently tossed a 28mm Michelin tire for a 25mm Continental, and the two were nearly the same width when inflated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought a new hybrid flat bar road bike last week that came with Vittoria Zaffira wire beaded tires (700 x 25).

I noticed after a couple of rides one of the tires had a bulge. The mechanic found out the one of the wires had cut into the tire to cause the issue and I was offered a replacement.

Since they didn't have the same tire as a replacement, they offered me a good deal on a set of Continental Gatorskins (700 X 28) so I bought them.

When I started out my ride today, it seemed I was using a lot more effort to get to the same speed on the Vittoria's.

I did some research and discovered the rolling resistance of the Gatorskin was indeed high compared to most other brands.

This should be expected as the tire is built for ruggedness, not speed but I was taken back by the difference - it was very noticeable.

In the end, I learned it isn't all hype. For most, the difference is so minimal it wouldn't be noticeable but in this case it was.

I attach a link to a web site that measures rolling resistance- interesting IMO.

When I replaced the Vittoria wire bead slicks that came on my Fuji with Gatorskins I had the complete opposite effect. From the very first ride pedaling felt less restricted and the ride was smoother. Immediately I was averaging 1mph faster with the gatorskins. The ones I bought are foldable so they are lighter than the wire bead Vittoria's that came off.

Even though both tires say 23c the conti tires are a little wider which could have reduced rolling resistance too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Plus, in addition to what SauronHimself said, I wonder what pressures you're running in the Contis versus the Vittorias. I switched from wire bead Zaffiros to Ultrasport Races, same size and pressure, and noticed an improvement in speed. And compared to the other tires I've run, the Zaffiros (el-cheapo wire bead, not the Zaffiro Pros, which I have on another bike) seem to linger around the bottom of the list.

Anyway, I'm trying to say that I suspect Gatorskins of the same size at the same pressure would likely roll better than the Zaffiros.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
FYI, we do have a Wheels & Tires subforum.

One thing about Continentals vs Vittorias is they run much wider. While you think you were going from a 25mm width to a 28mm width, you were really going from a 25mm width to a ~31mm width. Continentals definitely run wide. I recently tossed a 28mm Michelin tire for a 25mm Continental, and the two were nearly the same width when inflated.
Hope you don't get all the grief from butthurt members that I do when I remind people to post in the proper section. Well done, glad I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The difference in a good rolling tire versus a bad rolling tire is bigger than the difference between a deep section carbon rim and a regular box rim.

It's hilarious to see dudes rolling gatorskins on 404s. Completely negates the point of having the wheel in the first place.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hope you don't get all the grief from butthurt members that I do when I remind people to post in the proper section. Well done, glad I'm not the only one.
I'll play. Doesn't affect me in the least, except to have to scroll past it, but since you asked for it.

I think your continued asinine posts on stuff like this is pointless. It's not going to change anything. You're butting your heads against a rock.

If you have the need to say something, you might as well make it useful. This forum gets all the traffic.

All it does is illustrate some weird attention-seeking need you have (doubly so since now you're commenting on said attention. But there's no powertrip here, because you have no power. So in the end you look a bit like those walking billboard dudes with the microphones screaming "it's the end of the world" that everyone gives a cursory glance before promptly ignoring. it's quite silly.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

It's certainly not hype. I would really question whether or not you can feel it, though. Certainly some tires "feel" differently than others, but you're probably not going to "feel" rolling resistance (or aero resistance, or friction, etc) of a few watts.

But if you're going for a big event (especially time trial or triathlon), tire and tube choice are big contributors to pure speed. The typical favored combo for many of the unsponsored yet knowledgeable is a GP 4000s with latex. It's not necessarily the absolute fastest, but overall it's very fast due to low rolling resistance, good aero properties, puncture, grip, wear, etc.

Lots of bike racers running that combo, too, myself included.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I'll play. Doesn't affect me in the least, except to have to scroll past it, but since you asked for it.

I think your continued asinine posts on stuff like this is pointless. It's not going to change anything. You're butting your heads against a rock.

If you have the need to say something, you might as well make it useful. This forum gets all the traffic.

All it does is illustrate some weird attention-seeking need you have (doubly so since now you're commenting on said attention. But there's no powertrip here, because you have no power. So in the end you look a bit like those walking billboard dudes with the microphones screaming "it's the end of the world" that everyone gives a cursory glance before promptly ignoring. it's quite silly.
I bold highlighted that one sentence in your post because it's important. There is a reason General Cycling gets most of the cycling-related inquiries. It's not because n00bs are too dumb to use the appropriate subforums. It's because the subforums aren't ordered correctly. I've addressed this point numerous times, and it looks like we'll finally be getting an improvement.

The gripes are addressed in this thread:
Can the subforums get re-ordered?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I bold highlighted that one sentence in your post because it's important. There is a reason General Cycling gets most of the cycling-related inquiries. It's not because n00bs are too dumb to use the appropriate subforums. It's because the subforums aren't ordered correctly. I've addressed this point numerous times, and it looks like we'll finally be getting an improvement.

The gripes are addressed in this thread:
Can the subforums get re-ordered?
Honestly. Who cares besides you and the other dude?

No one wants to open up 10 different subforums. It's not like this place gets so much traffic that new threads get pushed to the second page in a matter of hours.

It's a non-issue. Or one simply created by some of you to have someone to argue with...

·
15,563 Posts

Then get rid of all the sub forums and just have a couple of sections and make it a free-for-all. Who needs any organization, this forum is just about dead anyway.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Honestly. Who cares besides you and the other dude?
I would assume the site admins do since they created the subforums in the first place.

No one wants to open up 10 different subforums.
I'm glad you're capable of speaking on everyone's behalf.

It's a non-issue. Or one simply created by some of you to have someone to argue with...
Then take it up with the site admins. They made the subforums for the expressed purpose of segregating topics, so if there is an issue, they precipitated it.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Then get rid of all the sub forums and just have a couple of sections and make it a free-for-all. Who needs any organization, this forum is just about dead anyway.
Its anarchy!

cxwrench if you were new to this forum and you were greeted with a "wrong forum, jerk" response, would you want to stay? I dont have any issue with trying to keep the forum segregated but the occasional post to the wrong forum is not going to kill anybody.

·
15,563 Posts
Its anarchy!

cxwrench if you were new to this forum and you were greeted with a "wrong forum, jerk" response, would you want to stay? I dont have any issue with trying to keep the forum segregated but the occasional post to the wrong forum is not going to kill anybody.
I have been in other forums and that's why I'm picky about it. I kinda look at it like an IQ test...it's not that hard to do it the right way. Like Sauron posted it's the way the forum is set up. If you don't like it start your own.

It would be a non-issue if the mods here actually did anything. I'm one of the largest firearms forums in the world and posts put in the wrong section get moved within minutes. This forum is MUCH smaller and it should be easy for a few mods to keep things straight.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I have been in other forums and that's why I'm picky about it. I kinda look at it like an IQ test...it's not that hard to do it the right way. Like Sauron posted it's the way the forum is set up. If you don't like it start your own.

It would be a non-issue if the mods here actually did anything. I'm one of the largest firearms forums in the world and posts put in the wrong section get moved within minutes. This forum is MUCH smaller and it should be easy for a few mods to keep things straight.
I hear you but there are probably more posts complaining about posts in the wrong forum in a week than there are posts in some forums here. Its just does not seem worthy to me of that much attention and aggravation. I think it is also unwelcoming to new forum members. That my opinion anyway

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
I am a moderator on another forum and the best way to really get my attention is to report a post. I can't speak for moderators here (I don't even know how many there are here or who is one) but where I moderate on another board I simply am not in every section checking on every thread/post for appropriateness but when something is reported I will absolutely know about it. I think people avoid the report button out of fear of being considered some kind of tattle-tale or something along those lines but it does work.

Not saying it will work here but it is an option.

On the subject of tires I do notice the difference in feel when switching brands/models but I can't say I notice my speed changing, not empirically anyway. Too many other factors and I am probably not that discerning. But how they feel (comfort, feedback, traction etc.), yes I do notice that as well as differences in how they sound too.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
The difference in a good rolling tire versus a bad rolling tire is bigger than the difference between a deep section carbon rim and a regular box rim.

It's hilarious to see dudes rolling gatorskins on 404s. Completely negates the point of having the wheel in the first place.
Nobody enjoys a flat tire, but I think that Fear of Flats drive many cyclists tire choices.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts