Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
BS, mostly. While I'm not a guitar expert, at all, how could you not include Richard Thompson? BB King? It says that it included blues in the list, but I'm not seeing many, if any.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kram59 said:
BS, mostly. While I'm not a guitar expert, at all, how could you not include Richard Thompson? BB King? It says that it included blues in the list, but I'm not seeing many, if any.
and people like Greg Ginn are good at what they do I'd hardly consider him in the top 100 of all time.

Same with Ron Asheton--influential yes--technically great? No.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Standouts:

Hendrix
SRV
Jimmy Paige
Richard Thompson
Warren Haynes
Tom Verlaine
Dave Gilmour

The "WTF" list (AKA the "was it that hard to get to 100?" list):

Robert Johnson? Has anyone who voted on this list actually HEARD his playing? I'm a blues fan, but I just don't get it.
Jack White? Not yet, man. Not yet.
John Frusciante? Who made this list? 20-year-olds with no long-term memory?
Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore? Apparently you don't have to actually PLAY the guitar, just make noise come out of it.
Joan Jett? If playing rhythm in straight-ahead rock counts, and they need a girl on the list, why not Chrissie Hynde? She's way better.

The "If the WTF people made it, why not _____" list:

Elliot Easton of the Cars
Vinnie Zummo most often with Joe Jackson
Tuck Andress of Tuck and Patty
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

I could go on. Let me just say that while I understand that these lists are subjective, many of them seem to be put together either by people who know nothing about guitar playing, or who know too much for their own good, winding up with lists that are weighted too heavily to big names and flavor of the month, or guitar-mag hacks like Blues Saraceno and Ingwie Malmsteen (and if you insist on putting the J in his name, your a moreon).

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
what a load of crap

top 10 all blues based guitarists, LAME.

Jeff Beck is the best guitarist to come out of the Yardbirds (Clapton and Page)

Tom Verlaine of Television should be abone Ranaldo and Moore of Sonic Youth

George harrison got Jobbed. First ever to use distortion and feedback. Heck of a slide player to. never gets due respek as J would say.

Jack white 17th?excuse me while I go puke. and I like the whitestripes.

there's more talent between 40 and 50 than the rest combined. I'll take Zappa, Fripp, Joe Perry, John McLaughlin and Les Paul over the rest of these punks.

pathetic. influential maybe, greatest horrid.

·
9,416 Posts
Also, how come Chet Atkins isn't on this list, when Mark Knopfler wouldn't be worth a tick's sh*t if it weren't for his copping Chet's style?

Also, Segovia? Django? Whole worlds of guitar playing not represented. OK, I'll shut up now--I've pontificated enough (at least until someone disagrees with me).

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Or Bonnie Rait, or Susan Tedeschi for that matter.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah when I think "greatest" I think technically greatest in some way. Sure Johnny Ramone could play at 100 MPH while high on speed and his sound was distinctive, but couldn't any 18 year old with a cheap Mosrite and a speed habit play a Ramones guitar part in 5 easy lessons?

·
9,416 Posts
Kram59 said:
What list were you looking at? They're both on it, and as ATP points out, the top ones are all blues players, more or less, but there are some major blues dudes on there.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
good catch bikeboy

bikeboy389 said:
Also, how come Chet Atkins isn't on this list, when Mark Knopfler wouldn't be worth a tick's sh*t if it weren't for his copping Chet's style?

Also, Segovia? Django? Whole worlds of guitar playing not represented. OK, I'll shut up now--I've pontificated enough (at least until someone disagrees with me).
great catch. I was so disgusted I didn't really do a look see to see who wasn't listed.

Chet and Django,crimes against humanity. Is leslie west on there?

I was glad to see warren haynes made it. author obviously has a Allman Brother fetish. Derek Trucks?

it's why I hate these polls, rarely done by someone who actually plays. and as far as noise guys What No Glen Branca

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bikeboy389 said:

Django Reinhardt? Leo Kottke?

·
9,416 Posts
About the only one I REALLY agree with is that J's Haiku is numero uno!

Check quick before it changes. Which makes me wonder, how close is this list to the actual list published by RS, anyway?

Ooops--he's already gone from the list. Too bad.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
Pop list, not roots.

"Best" in popularity and being in a great band, maybe. A "Most influential" roots kind of list would be a cool contrast.

Didn't read the list too close but there are players easily deleted to add:

That guy in Janes Addiction
Neil Schon
Robert Johnson
Nile Rogers "Chic. Le Freak"
The 12 string guy from the Byrds (McGuinn?)
Earnie Isley
Segovia (classical)
George Benson...etc

Rolling Stone has gathered moss.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
funny

atpjunkie said:
Jack white 17th?excuse me while I go puke. and I like the whitestripes.

there's more talent between 40 and 50 than the rest combined. I'll take Zappa, Fripp, Joe Perry, John McLaughlin and Les Paul over the rest of these punks.

pathetic. influential maybe, greatest horrid.
And I thought people only got worked up about religion. ;-)

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
no Esteban?

What? I can't believe it. No Esteban?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
firstrax said:
Looks like the list leans more toward popularity than pure talent.
You know who's a hell of a woman guitarist? Charo...saw her play flamenco guitar once and it blew me away how good she was.

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
Charo: quick story:

Woke up in the middle of one college dorm night, having gone to sleep with the tv on.

There on the tv was a close up of a woman playing the guitar and I just stared in amasement.

As the camera pulled away there was Charo just blistering away. Amazing. It was the Jerry Lewis Telethon in like the mid eighties...

She's a player. Fer sher.

Bocephus Jones II said:
You know who's a hell of a woman guitarist? Charo...saw her play flamenco guitar once and it blew me away how good she was.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts