4,978 Posts
Wonderful! Thanks velodog (again)!!!!

·
Banned
748 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Unprecedented ride by Philippe Gilbert, WOW, Congrats , Interesting that he gained seconds in the hills and lost seconds on the down hills.. It would scare the heck out of you to realize that Sagan & Van are seconds behind you, both great closers??

Sagan: Destiny didn't want me to win the Tour of Flanders | Cyclingnews.com
Totally disagree.

If they wouldn't have crashed, they would have easily caught him.

If Sagan wouldn't have ridden up that barrier leg and crashed, I dare say Gilbert may not have even made podium.

He got lucky, end of story. He's not a legend who made a ride for the history books, he just got lucky because those stronger than him crashed at a bad point.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
... If they wouldn't have crashed, they would have easily caught him.
If Sagan wouldn't have ridden up that barrier leg and crashed, I dare say Gilbert may not have even made podium.
He got lucky, end of story. He's not a legend who made a ride for the history books, he just got lucky because those stronger than him crashed at a bad point.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
A big part of racing is not making stupid decisions, as is staying upright.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Which is all fine and good, but I'm reading a lot of bullshit about this race.

He didn't hold off a group of the strongest chasers.

The strongest chasers crashed hard in a critical moment while chasing.

Both PS and GVA were sure they were going to catch Gilbert, I believe them considering their form this year.

Give him credit for winning, of course, but so much bullshit praise being thrown at him that's a bunch of lies.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Totally disagree.

If they wouldn't have crashed, they would have easily caught him.

What do you disagree with,, It's not my statement its Sagan's statement, see the link!!! Yes Philippe got lucky and having put in the work allowed him to capitalize on it!!!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Sagan & Van are seconds behind you, both great closers??
What do you disagree with,, It's not my statement its Sagan's statement, see the link!!! Yes Philippe got lucky and having put in the work allowed him to capitalize on it!!!
I disagree with your statement. I included it above.

Sagan and GVA weren't just seconds behind, they crashed.

Another statement making it sound like it was a competitive race between GVA, PS and PG, which it wasn't. It could/would have been, but it wasn't, they crashed out.

What does a closing ability of GVA or PS have to do with it? They crashed. There wasn't any closing of anything after that.

·
Banned
748 Posts
I disagree with your statement. I included it above.

Sagan and GVA weren't just seconds behind, they crashed.

Another statement making it sound like it was a competitive race between GVA, PS and PG, which it wasn't. It could/would have been, but it wasn't, they crashed out.

What does a closing ability of GVA or PS have to do with it? They crashed. There wasn't any closing of anything after that.
We can all postulate that Sagan or Greg or someone else should have won the Tour,, but they didn't.. So what!!! It was a great race and kept me on the edge of my seat for the last 30K!! When was the last race a lone rider held the lead for 50K??

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
In my opinion, the dude won, end of story. He has looked as good as anyone this spring. Who knows what happens or doesn't happen if they stay upright (and I dig all three of the guys that bit the dust big time). The simple fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter. He was way up the road when they crashed and even Van Baarle, who didn't crash, never bridged over. So, kudos to Gilbert, great recovery by GVA, hoping Sagan and Naes aren't too banged up to strut their stuff at Roubaix.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
It was a great race and kept me on the edge of my seat for the last 30K!! When was the last race a lone rider held the lead for 50K??
Well, in contrast, when they crashed with 16km to go, I got up and left the room, race was over at that point. Not too sure what you were on the edge of your seat about. He walked across the finish line, it's not like there was any sort of contest at the end.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, in contrast, when they crashed with 16km to go, I got up and left the room, race was over at that point. Not too sure what you were on the edge of your seat about. He walked across the finish line, it's not like there was any sort of contest at the end.
If there wasn't any sort of contest at the end, Gilbert having the balls to take a attack on his own had as much to do with his winning as the crash did.

The man won because he played his cards and it worked. If Sagan wasn't pressing his luck to catch him he might not have crashed, but he also might not have caught him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts