Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I buy a brand new car, subaru crosstrek. The subaru dealer give me the Thule Big Mouth 599XTR
https://www.thule.com/fr-ca/ca/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-big-mouth-599xtr-_-13804
they have only this one in stock and they sell this model anyway. But I know thule make about 3 more models for the crosstrek. Can be on the fork, on the front wheel or on the frame like the 599XTR.

My bike is cannondale super six evo with carbon wheels, so I want to be sure the bike will be secure on the roof. I dont know if the rack 599 big mouth can damage my frame. Maybe I would be better to pay 100$ more to have the one like that :
https://www.thule.com/fr-ca/ca/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-paceline-527-_-1684640
or : https://www.thule.com/fr-ca/ca/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-sidearm-594xt-_-5546509

Btw they give me rack and crossbar cause they sponsor my team.

thank you for your advices
JIM

Envoyé de mon LG-D852 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd go with the 527 fork mount, that way there's nothing clamping your frame. I have 2 of them and have nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Hi, I buy a brand new car, subaru crosstrek. The subaru dealer give me the Thule Big Mouth 599XTR

they have only this one in stock and they sell this model anyway. But I know thule make about 3 more models for the crosstrek. Can be on the fork, on the front wheel or on the frame like the 599XTR.

My bike is cannondale super six evo with carbon wheels, so I want to be sure the bike will be secure on the roof. I dont know if the rack 599 big mouth can damage my frame. Maybe I would be better to pay 100$ more to have the one like that :

Not what you asked but after many years using roof racks and all the issues around them, we have decided to figure out how to put the bikes inside the car (Subaru Outback and Forrester). Even if you have to take off both wheels, your bike will thank you for it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not what you asked but after many years using roof racks and all the issues around them, we have decided to figure out how to put the bikes inside the car (Subaru Outback and Forrester). Even if you have to take off both wheels, your bike will thank you for it.
Really. What kind of problems?

·
Registered
875 Posts
It is true that there are many advantages to keeping your bike in your car - it is less likely to get damaged; it is less likely to get stolen; it will be cleaner; it will improve gas mileage. If you don't need the room for other purposes (and if you don't mind getting bike grease on the car interior), then it is absolutely true that it is best to keep your bike(s) in the car.

However, if you are unable or unwilling to give up passenger and/or cargo room that the bikes will occupy, then you need a rack.

It all depends on your particular situation and priorities.

----------------

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
It is true that there are many advantages to keeping your bike in your car - it is less likely to get damaged; it is less likely to get stolen; it will be cleaner; it will improve gas mileage. If you don't need the room for other purposes (and if you don't mind getting bike grease on the car interior), then it is absolutely true that it is best to keep your bike(s) in the car.

However, if you are unable or unwilling to give up passenger and/or cargo room that the bikes will occupy, then you need a rack.

It all depends on your particular situation and priorities.

----------------
Unless you drive with your bike perpetually on the car, the gas mileage is no issue long term. I have never noticed a significant drop (granted I do drive my cars like I stole them.. so gas mileage has never really been important to me). I do however have the aero bars.

I use mine for bikes, kayaks and paddles boards.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
https://www.thule.com/fr-ca/ca/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-big-mouth-599xtr-_-13804

https://www.thule.com/fr-ca/ca/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-paceline-527-_-1684640
or : https://www.thule.com/fr-ca/ca/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-sidearm-594xt-_-5546509

thank you for your advices
JIM

For an aluminum frame, this rack is fine, but your bike is carbon. It is not recommended to use this rack (or any other rack that clamps around frame tubes) on a carbon bike. So no, you should not use this for your Super Six Evo.

I have the Thule 594xt sidearm bike rack which is the one I recommend for your bike:

https://www.rei.com/product/799926/thule-sidearm-universal-upright-bike-mount

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-594XT-...475506002&sr=8-1&keywords=thule+594xt+sidearm

Also, while others here may have different opinions, I don't like fork mount racks as then, you still have to store the front tire inside the car. I don't see any advantages to fork mount racks.

And yes, your bike should fit inside your Crosstrek with just the front wheel removed. Of course, that is provided the car is not loaded with passengers and other junk. And it's not an option if you're transporting more than one bike.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Unless you drive with your bike perpetually on the car, the gas mileage is no issue long term. I have never noticed a significant drop (granted I do drive my cars like I stole them.. so gas mileage has never really been important to me). I do however have the aero bars.

And in comparison to what kayaks do to your gas mileage, bikes make hardly any difference.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts

I will agree having a roof rack on the car it never really change my gas milage unless I had one of my bikes up there and then it took a very noticeable hit. Compare that to my current car with a hitch rack. My bike on the hitch or not there it has had very little if any noticeable effect on my gas mileage.

Really. What kind of problems?

The problems I had with a roof rack besides the stupid ones like driving into a over hang and damaging both my bike and car.
Bug guts all over the frame, mpg loss, and in one case I injured my arm mountain biking so I had to have my brother help me get my bike off the roof of my car.

That being side I liked my roof rack and it was a fork mounted. I will always choose a roof rack over a trunk rack and I would say if you also think you may use the roof rack for other items it is great. I used my roof rack on my Sentra for carry other items besides my bike over the years until I sold it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have a set of Thule Aero Blades on my car. I have tried most of the Thule and Yakima bike carrier options for this.

I ended up settling on the Kuat Trio rack and absolutely love it. I have two of them, one on each side.

I have half a dozen bikes and three different fork systems. The Trio supports all of them out of the box with a quick 1 minute swap of the axle mount. They are sturdy, and simple, they come with a built in cable lock and 'security' bolts, so they are relatively secure.

I recently used this with two BMC carbon bikes on a 1600 mile round trip to California and it worked flawlessly. My only minor complaint was the dead bugs on the front of the bikes after the trip. Easily solved with a quick rinse and wipe.

I also have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 hitch rack. I had this installed this winter because of a shoulder injury that prevented me from putting my bikes on the roof. The Sherpa is also a great rack. The system is light and easily removable, and is generally very well made. It's also very simple and fast to mount the bikes, and you don't need to be 6' tall or stand on a step stool to mount the bikes.

I gravitate to the Trio roof rack and they stay on my car year round (now that I am able to lift the bikes up there again). I still have the Sherpa, and may use it from time to time, although I'm considering giving it to a friend who is in the market for a new rack. She's 4' 11" and would not be able to use a roof rack at all. The light weight of the Sherpa makes it ideal for her.

All things consider, having both options, I prefer the roof rack. I don't like the idea of using my five thousand dollar bike(s) as a bumper. I live in an area with lots of heavy stop and go traffic, and fender benders are very common. Even if insurance would cover them, I just don't want to take a chance on them getting damaged. They also affect my rear vision, and make my backup camera ineffective.

The fact that I don't garage my car lowers my risk of a garage door incident. I've gotten used to having the bikes on the roof, so I've not had any close calls with the roof rack system. It's just my preference at this point.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I have a set of Thule Aero Blades on my car. I have tried most of the Thule and Yakima bike carrier options for this.
Do the aero blades really make much of a difference in gas mileage or for anything else? Or do they just look sexier? I have the older rectangular blades and just never bothered to upgrade because I would also have to buy new side clamps which would get quite expensive.

I take the whole system down in the wintertime because snow removal is much easier without junk on the roof.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finaly subaru here had only choice between the 599xt or 526xt, same than 527 paceline but the previous version. so I take this one.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Do the aero blades really make much of a difference in gas mileage or for anything else? Or do they just look sexier? I have the older rectangular blades and just never bothered to upgrade because I would also have to buy new side clamps which would get quite expensive.

I take the whole system down in the wintertime because snow removal is much easier without junk on the roof.
I seriously doubt they make any difference at all, aerodynamically speaking. They were the most 'modern' system available at the time I was shopping, and were compatible with the most bike holders, so I went with them.

Also, the Thule fitment system for the aeroblades was far superior (in terms of security and stability) to anything else on the market and it wasn't even close. At least for my car. My car has pin holes in the top of the door jam area, and thule's aeroblade mounts literally lock into them.

It looks like this.

Edit to add:
And the Kuat Trio I mentioned above is a perfect fit for these bars. The grips on the Trio are pretty shaped to match these bars, and they mount on here very securely.

I really like Kuat's stuff. Everything I've used from this is generally light, durable, sturdy, and easy to use.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good choice, I'm more than happy with mine..
But the 527 seems to have a better skewer and lock.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I seriously doubt they make any difference at all, aerodynamically speaking. They were the most 'modern' system available at the time I was shopping, and were compatible with the most bike holders, so I went with them.

Also, the Thule fitment system for the aeroblades was far superior (in terms of security and stability) to anything else on the market and it wasn't even close. At least for my car. My car has pin holes in the top of the door jam area, and thule's aeroblade mounts literally lock into them.

It looks like this.

Edit to add:
And the Kuat Trio I mentioned above is a perfect fit for these bars. The grips on the Trio are pretty shaped to match these bars, and they mount on here very securely.

I really like Kuat's stuff. Everything I've used from this is generally light, durable, sturdy, and easy to use.
Not sure why adding something to the exterior of the car would not effect mileage. But luckily someone measured it. So we don't have to guess. Tests show bike racks can ruin your mileage

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I dunno. I just did 1600 highway miles in my car with two bikes on the roof. I calculated the mileage ever stop, and didn't notice anything significant. The mileage was way better than my driving around town mileage, and I haven't done any significant highway miles without the racks, so I can't say for sure. I know I wasn't bothered by whatever the effect was.

Maybe if I was driving all day every day it might matter, but my annual mileage is right around 10k, 75% of which are driving around town or in stop and go traffic. I can't see where it's making much difference in those circumstances.

And even it if is, it's not enough to make me switch back to a hitch setup.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Not sure why adding something to the exterior of the car would not effect mileage. But luckily someone measured it. So we don't have to guess. Tests show bike racks can ruin your mileage

My post was in reference to him asking if the aeroblades made a difference aerodynamically compared to the older square or round bars. I can't imagine the bars shape makes much difference at all.

Having bikes on the roof would obviously have the most negative effect to mileage, but as I said in my previous post, from my own experience, I don't see it being a big issue.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Thule makes great racks and trays but do not overlook the Yakima Forklift trays,, they are a better design and I like the way they hook to the bars. Just bought two of them..

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I dunno. I just did 1600 highway miles in my car with two bikes on the roof. I calculated the mileage ever stop, and didn't notice anything significant. The mileage was way better than my driving around town mileage, and I haven't done any significant highway miles without the racks, so I can't say for sure. I know I wasn't bothered by whatever the effect was.

Wind resistance isn't really an issue under 40mph as far as gas mileage. A rack won't make much of a difference except at highway speeds.

My unscientific observations on my Subaru Outback are:

No rack: 27mpg
Empty rack: 25mpg
Rack with bike: 24mpg
Rack with kayaks: 21mpg

There is a difference, but it's less dramatic than the ones in the tests on a 2013 Honda Accord.

As I said, my experiment was unscientific. Keep in mind that even something like wind direction can have quite an impact on gas mileage. Remember that if you're driving 65mph into a 10mph headwind, you are effectively going 75mph. If you are going the same speed with a 10mph tailwind, you are effectively going 55mph. The gas mileage difference between 55 and 75 will be quite significant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts