Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a month or two (whenever it gets here) the new car that I ordered should be in my driveway and I'll be in the market for a new roof rack-- my first roof rack.

I'm not really too knowledgeable about these things-- but I have gathered from various forums is that I should stick with one of the major manufacturers (Yakima, Thule etc.) to be assured of a product which will satisfy me.

Whenever I examine my options I find myself overwhelmed by the amount of choices available. At one retail website I saw that Yakima alone makes close to 20 different models! What could differentiate all those racks from each other?

Anyway.... here is a major concern: This is my first brand new car in a number of years and I want the appearance of the roof rack to be as minimal as possible so as not to disturb the lines of the car. They all look pretty much the same in the pictures that I've seen. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What type of vehicle (make, model & year) are you getting? Both Yakima and Thule fit specific vehicles better? Also are you looking at carrying anything other than bikes?

·
Banned
608 Posts
Jashue said:
At one retail website I saw that Yakima alone makes close to 20 different models! What could differentiate all those racks from each other?
Yakima will have a recommendation for the towers that best fit your car. If you go to Yakima's website they have a web based wizard that will let you select the make/model/year of your car and then tell you what attachments you need, including bar width, windscreen width, etc. Some web retailers have taken Yakima's web tool and incorporated it into their own websites.

As for bike mounts get the Vipers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike Mom,

The car is a '06 Honda Civic Si, and no, I don't intend to carry anything other than a bike or two (yeah, I know.... never say never...)

And CrookedSky.... Thanks, I'll check the site out!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Are you going to have a MTB with disks, b/c that interfears with some fork mounts.

Personally I love fork mounts, they seem a ton more stable. That narrows things down a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yakima has not released an '06 fit for this Honda yet. The '05 fit used their Q-towers, 48" load bars, Q6 clip & Q116 clip, with a 44" fairing. The weight limit for the '05 is 100lbs. I'd call your local Yakima dealer for an update on the '06 fit.

Thule doesn't have a fit listed yet either.

I 2nd the Under a crooked sky's recommendation for a Viper. You could also go with their new Sprocket Rocket. It is a very sleek looking upgrade to the Viper.

·
Banned
608 Posts
bike mom said:
You could also go with their new Sprocket Rocket. It is a very sleek looking upgrade to the Viper.
Ooh, that does look nice. Are they available right now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last I heard was March 1 availability. I just emailed my rep for a better timing answer. One of the nice things about the Sprocket Rocket is the skewer. The adjusting knob is so much nicer than the Viper. The Viper's adjusting knob can be very rough on your fingers - especially if you are cold.

Heard back from my rep. Should be available March 24.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anklebiters.

Just to add to the thread...i noticed Yakima stopped making the Anklebiter model. That model supports the bike via its crank arm. No wheel removal necessary.

This also happens to be the only remaining (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) model that allows you to use a factory roof rack via their Mighty Mount adapters (sans the model that holds by the frame). I'm currently considering this option as Nissan still sells it (for our Murano). I want to utilize the factory cross bars and this seems to be the only option. I would prefer the fork mount models, but that requires the Yakima bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A4B45200 - Both Yakima and Thule recommend their rack system with your vehicle (i.e. Yakima Lowriders). The mighty mount option was not offered for use with your factory rack.

·
Banned
608 Posts
A4B45200 said:
This also happens to be the only remaining (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) model that allows you to use a factory roof rack via their Mighty Mount adapters (sans the model that holds by the frame).
Rocky Mounts has a fork mount model (The Noose?) that attaches to factory cross bars. I have no direct experience but Rocky Mounts have a good reputation, and their trays come in about eight different colors.

·
Registered
156 Posts
bike mom said:
A4B45200 - Both Yakima and Thule recommend their rack system with your vehicle (i.e. Yakima Lowriders). The mighty mount option was not offered for use with your factory rack.

Bike Mom - I saw that too on their site. That's strange considering there is a mighty mount adapter for the Murano. Hence the old Anklebiter that Nissan rebadged as OEM bike rack fits the bill. Ideally, I want a fork mount Yakima via mighty mount. I don't want to buy the entire Yakima setup.

To relate to the OP - I also have an 06 Civic...however, I wouldn't want to to 'rack' up that smooth roofline. When I use that car, I put my road bike inside (fold the seats down).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Rocky Mounts has a fork mount model (The Noose?) that attaches to factory cross bars. I have no direct experience but Rocky Mounts have a good reputation, and their trays come in about eight different colors.

Thx...I'm gonna look into this brand as I've only used Yakima before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts