Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing an out of state ride later this year. I have a roof rack that's served me very well for drives to rides up to about 3 hours from home, but I've never used it for a long drive (14 hrs on the road +).

Should I be expecting any problems?

·
Will rep for beer
619 Posts
The rack should be OK but can the bike fit inside? That amount of road trip must involve several stops along the way (gas, grub, pee). Who's watching the bike while you're taking care of business? Then there's the MPG impact.
If the bike must be on the rack, just check it every stop. I do that as a matter of habit on any road trip.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The bike will get a significant amount of bug hits and other crap on a 14+ hour trip. You could buy one of those lycra protectors, but those add to fuel consumption. I would see if you could fit it inside the car for simple piece of mind, but if you can't it should be ok. I drove from Northern Nevada to San Antonio with my Cervelo on my roof rack and had no problems. I just had to make sure I kept an eye on it whenever I stopped to eat or rest. I also did fair amount of drafting behind 18-wheelers and that saved me several MPG's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm planning on doing an out of state ride later this year. I have a roof rack that's served me very well for drives to rides up to about 3 hours from home, but I've never used it for a long drive (14 hrs on the road +).

should be fine. just watch your speed so you don't stress the clamp points more than necessary.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
The MPG hit is really, really minimal. I drive around a lot in the summer with my rack on all the time, and a fair bit with either my road bike or MTB up top. In the winter the rack comes off. I keep a spreadsheet of all my fill ups, and between my commute to work, various city driving errands, and road trips with the bike, you can't tell from the fuel consumption graph when I had the rack on, either with or without the bike.

Driving style will have a much greater impact on fuel consumption.

Also consider that if there is a hit, what is *marginal* cost over a trip like you are doing? You're already paying probably $60-90 to fill the tank. Maybe 4-5 fills over the course of the trip? I'd be surprised if your marginal cost for fuel resulting from the rack and bike is $20 or $30. And this short bit in the course of a year's worth of driving? It's a rounding error.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly are your concerns? It's a roof rack, and it's not held on with bubble gum. 3 hours or 20 hours, it's not coming off.
good point, and I appreciate all the replies....

i reckoned on bug hits but I guess I'm kinda concerned about fork stress and what (if anything) that much wind will do to shimano brifters and bontrager head set.

mpg and security during stops are things I can work with

·
Registered
368 Posts
My only concern is rain, lots of water at 70+ mph might get into bearings, especially headset; that is where the bra's become more useful.
Have you ever opened up a headset or a BB and serviced your bearings? Even if your bike has loose ball bearings packed in with grease (oldschool), 70mph raindrops aren't going to do anything. And the bras are really just to keep bugs and rocks off the bike, and lower your mileage even more.

OP, just avoid drive-thru restaurants or parking garages. You (and your bike) will be fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This seems to be a lot of worry about nothing.
A year ago, I drove 1200 miles to Memphis from Northern NJ over 2 days w my bike secured to a Thule fork mount rack atop 25 year old Thule crossbars. I covered the Fizik saddle w 2 plastic supermarket type bags tied off by rubber bands around the seat post in case it rained (it did for an hour or so). For both peace of mind and so I could go into a restaurant and/or rest stop, I also ran a chain lock thru the rear wheel around the rack and cross bar.
At night, I brought my luggage into the hotel and stored the bike in the trunk. When I arrived in Memphis, I cleaned the bugs off the frame and was good to go.
The effect on the MPG was minimal. I averaged 75 mph for the trip and about 26 MPG.

PS - The Memphis Hightailers run a great Metric and Century in late Sept/early Oct - The Bluff City Blues 100. Good route and support as well as a nice after party.

·
Registered
33 Posts
South Florida to Connecticut using a Yakima Highroller. No issues at all. I brought it inside the hotel and avoided drive thrus.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Wife and I drove NYS to Utah and back with two bikes and cargo box atop our Subaru Outback. No problems other than lots and lots of bugs splattered around the head tube and front of bikes.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Have you ever opened up a headset or a BB and serviced your bearings? Even if your bike has loose ball bearings packed in with grease (oldschool), 70mph raindrops aren't going to do anything. And the bras are really just to keep bugs and rocks off the bike, and lower your mileage even more.

OP, just avoid drive-thru restaurants or parking garages. You (and your bike) will be fine.
Yup, it's easy to forget about the bike on the roof after many hours of driving. That's when accidents happen.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yup, it's easy to forget about the bike on the roof after many hours of driving. That's when accidents happen.
Get a long tape measure, measure the distance from the saddle to the ground. Write that number on a post it, tape that post-it to your dash. Almost all low entrances, fat food lanes and parking garages have a measurement of max height as you enter. that number WILL remind you to check your measurement. No problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wrap saran wrap around the handlebar tape, headtube, and front fork to eliminate the bug splatter. When wrapping around the fork, wrap each fork leg individually to eliminate the strain of the wind on the plastic wrap (so it won't tear). I've never tried this, but I've heard of people doing it. I just usually just clean the bug guts off with a rag before I ride.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If your rack doesn't have a fairing, it can be noisy. Plus that helps the mpg as well.

As others have said, once the bikes are on, it doesn't make any difference whether the trip is a few minutes or several days.

But at high speeds, the bike (s) does affect mpg as well as handling (or at least the sensation).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.