Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from the MTB world. I bought my first used road bike. Seller threw in a set of Aero bars to the deal that were laying in the garage. He said they didn't really fit the Carbon bars (see picture below) on the bike but I could have them any way. This is where I should have listened.

Got home and made/manipulated the Aero bars to fit. I think the Aero bars look cool and they seemed to be nice option to adjust position. After my first ride I noticed the Aero bar mounts were digging into the carbon bars so I took them off (see picture). I was disappointed to need to remove them but needed to prevent any further damage.

Like I mentioned I am a rookie road biker.

So who rides with aero bars, why, should they be reserved for a specific type or riding? Are there any available for my style of handle bars (FSA Carbon with flat tops)?

View attachment 280379

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I inspected it pretty good. No real cracking or deep punctures seen. Pictures look worse then it really is. Mostly the top layer (clear coat maybe???) that it's rubbed into.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Bars need to be rated appropriately to accommodate clamp-on aerobars. Clamp-on aerobars puts different stresses and stress concentration on the bars which can lead to premature failure if not designed for the purpose. CF bars are good and nice but their structural integrity is easily comprised by dings, digs, scratches and crashes. There may be CF bars rated for clamp-ons but I don't know of any. I sometimes put clamp-on aerobars on my Deda Zero100 aluminum bars, which are specifically rated for it.

I'd be very concerned about the integrity of your bars after having put aerobars on them and seeing the damage.

·
Registered
23,036 Posts
I inspected it pretty good. No real cracking or deep punctures seen. Pictures look worse then it really is. Mostly the top layer (clear coat maybe???) that it's rubbed into.
It looks a lot worse than just clear coat. You can't inspect the underlying layers of CF for damage and the damage is at the highest stress point on the bar.

Keep riding those and not only will you be a rookie, I predict you'll be a quadriplegic.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Those bars are junk.

For the record clip on areo bars are junk too.

Its either. Tri bike or its not. With no access to the brakes while being "aero" somebody is going to get hurt.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,648 Posts
Those bars are junk.

Its either. Tri bike or its not. With no access to the brakes while being "aero" somebody is going to get hurt.

Only if somebody is fool enough to use the bars anywhere where frequent unpredictable breaking is needed...a la a paceline, city streets, bike paths...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Got home and made/manipulated the Aero bars to fit. I think the Aero bars look cool and they seemed to be nice option to adjust position. After my first ride I noticed the Aero bar mounts were digging into the carbon bars so I took them off (see picture). I was disappointed to need to remove them but needed to prevent any further damage.

View attachment 280379
The quote in red is the most disturbing part of this thread.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Those bars are junk.

A tri-bike does not provide the ability to brake while using the aero extensions. While I seriously doubt that the OP is planning any ultra distance events, clip-ons have their place on the cycling landscape. The OP's poor logic and execution show they may not be right for him, but your statement is a little too broad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Keep in mind that when you are shopping for new bars, they come in different width's and you should have the person at the bike shop measure you for the correct size. This will make riding a lot more comfortable...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like this rookie should listen and get some new bars.
Just playing a Devils advocate - very little.

It's just a pic to everyone here and although it doesn't look good to me either, we can't really see it well or feel it. I would take it to a shop that you trust just to make sure they agree that it is best to replace them. It would be a shame to replace those bars if it isn't necessary. I wouldn't think they would charge for that, one look and they should be able to make an assessment.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.