Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my LBS and narrowed it down between 2 shoes. They only carried Specialized shoes, and the two I liked were the Specialized Comp Carbon Road(($160) and the Specialized Pro-Road ($220). I am upgrading from MTB SPD pedals to Road Shimano PD-7800 Dura Ace pedals on my bike, and now am down to the shoe. I also plan to have plan to have this bike shop owner do a custom fit afterwards which also compels me to buy his shoes, and I don't have anything against specialized. The Specialized Comp Carbon Road($160) shoe seemed to be overall more roomier. Both have a wide toe box which I like. The Specialized Pro-Road($220) fit much more snug from the heel to the ball of my foot, but still had toe wiggle room.

Is it better to have more room overall to be able to flex your foot a little on longer rides throughout the entire width of the shoe, or better to have a more snug fit(which still lets my toes have room to wiggle)?

·
Registered
363 Posts
It sounds like the snug one will be better. You don't want your heel to be able to lift or the rest of your foot to move around, which would result in a loss of power and probably discomfort from the rubbing. You should try the shoes on with cycling socks or whatever socks you plan to use. A cycling sock vs. a typical athletic sock can change the fit of the shoe quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Snug heel, wiggly toes. Try on with cycling socks and at the end of the day when your feets are bigger.

IME, if the heel is snug, I usually have some wiggle room across the instep just by loosening the straps. Toes depend on the cut of the shoe.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Becky said:
Snug heel, wiggly toes. Try on with cycling socks and at the end of the day when your feets are bigger.

IME, if the heel is snug, I usually have some wiggle room across the instep just by loosening the straps. Toes depend on the cut of the shoe.

I agree...Heel snug but make sure you have room in the toes...My feet swell when I ride so I keep the top strap/buckle tight and the other two straps loose......

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You may want different insoles and socks for winter. Unless you get some winter specific shoes you will want extra room. If just for warm weather riding and it's on the trainer for summer, just make sure you have enough room that you can loosen the front and possibly middle straps during the ride to account for swelling of feet. It can be the difference between your feet hurting on longer rides or getting relief when you loosen the straps. You can tighten the ankle strap as tight as you want as this does not restrict bloodflow and does not need to be loosened to ease swelling.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I agree...Heel snug but make sure you have room in the toes...My feet swell when I ride so I keep the top strap/buckle tight and the other two straps loose......
+1 to adjusting the straps this way. I always leave the toe strap a little loose. I also like snug heels and wiggly toes. Too tight in the toes promotes irritation, rubbing and corns.
Snug shoes and very thin socks work best for me.
I'm a SIDI guy, but that's just personal preference.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What Dave Hickey said - feet swell when you ride. Becky's point to go in late in the day and wear the same socks you cycle in is sage advice.

FWIW, I ride the Specialized Comp Carbon Road & can't say enough good things about them (3rd season.) Bought them because of the extra room and they solved all my former shoe issues (numb toes/hot spots on long distance rides.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts