Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During last night's group ride we were missing our normal ride leader, typically we warm up, then he more or less directs people to start getting the rotation going... COOL! Well, last night since he wasn't there we just kinda all took turns but the pace kept getting higher and higher and eventually our group was down to maybe 6 riders and another 20 to 30 strung out behind that... simply cause our Group leader will tell us to back down if we're pushing too hard for the rest of the pack... No problem, this happens... However...
When we got back I overheard a guy mention that last night's ride was NOT typical, and that we should have been taking turns (rotating counterclockwise) and watching our speed and getting into the parallel pacelines for the ride regardless of having our group's ride leader there or not... COOL!!! Good idea right?

Here comes my question... From a guy who has been on this group ride about 6 times...
Is it ALWAYS counter clockwise?? (I know that prevailing wind should be the determining factor while racing but we are just doing the group ride on open traffic filled roads)
And
Would it be a good idea (only when the ride leader isn't present, keepin in mind I'm a noob with this group) to be the "voice" that still tries to get the other riders in that group to ride like our normal group etiquette would dictate??? Or is that overstepping it since I'm relatively new with this group, to the point where I know 2 guys in the A group and 3 guys in the B group and this ride is more than about 75 of us total???

What Say You RBRers????

·
Registered
896 Posts
depends on skill level. echelons, chaging rotation direction, etc are more advanced concepts. in a mixed cat situation, i suggest keep it simple. single paceline, or if you have alot of people, split into groups behind one another *not* next to each other. you can't have teh whole road. a quick comment eg "keep it steady" means dont' accelerate, or "rotate through" is fine etiquette. if you have some guys who want to turn a modest pace in to race, let them go and form up with everyone else. unlikely thta a newcomer will control the raging bulls

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, I get that Bauerb. Thanks.
it's Form Up part that has me quessing...
Lets say for example we're riding in the B group... And the A group has long since dropped us.... Is is cool for some noob in the B group to start making suggestions that we try riding in a paceline format (rotating, taking pulls, etc)??? I won't be able to keep the A group from riding away, and I know that there will be some stronger B riders that wanna jump... COOL, do that, but is it cool for me to make the suggestion to the rest of the B group while we're in mid ride???

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Who says you have to rotate anything?

Pacelines, especially rotating ones, can be a good thing and help teach new riders skills needed should they decide to race....but you don't necessarily need to use them every ride. In regular "Group" rides they tend to only be used by the race teams and fast paced group rides...the slower groups don't really do a whole lot of rotating pacelines, but do form single lines (a basic paceline) when riding to keep people from hogging the entire road.

As far as changes to a rotating paceline...they don't always go counterclockwise. Sometimes they go clockwise as well...depends on wind direction and to an extend who is leading the group and the road you are riding on. Sometimes pacelines have the rotation with the riders moving from the back to the front (riders from the back, overtaking the riders in the front)...others have it from the front to the back (the front rider peels off when they are tired, then moves to the back).

Eschelons can happen on windy days as well.

Experienced riders are good for keeping control of the paceline, but they are supposed to work as a unit with the ability to draft helping weaker riders. If you have some strong riders that push the pace and others can't hang, let them go.

A large rotating paceline of 30+ riders on regular roads can actually be a dangerous thing and smaller groups of 6-10 riders will be much safer overall in general riding conditions.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Y'know... I don't think I've been on a ride with a 'ride leader' since college team rides. We were the only thing in town, so... EVERY ride after that has either been an all-out slugfest, or at best a random smattering of individuals sorta-kinda rotating thru half-knowledgeably.

AFA being 'the voice' if a n00b hasta do it, yer not really gonna get it done.

Good luck!

M

·
Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
Who says you have to rotate anything?

Pacelines, especially rotating ones, can be a good thing and help teach new riders skills needed should they decide to race....but you don't necessarily need to use them every ride. In regular "Group" rides they tend to only be used by the race teams and fast paced group rides...the slower groups don't really do a whole lot of rotating pacelines, but do form single lines (a basic paceline) when riding to keep people from hogging the entire road.

As far as changes to a rotating paceline...they don't always go counterclockwise. Sometimes they go clockwise as well...depends on wind direction and to an extend who is leading the group and the road you are riding on. Sometimes pacelines have the rotation with the riders moving from the back to the front (riders from the back, overtaking the riders in the front)...others have it from the front to the back (the front rider peels off when they are tired, then moves to the back).

Eschelons can happen on windy days as well.

Experienced riders are good for keeping control of the paceline, but they are supposed to work as a unit with the ability to draft helping weaker riders. If you have some strong riders that push the pace and others can't hang, let them go.

A large rotating paceline of 30+ riders on regular roads can actually be a dangerous thing and smaller groups of 6-10 riders will be much safer overall in general riding conditions.
++Eleventy.

For the short time I raced, the rotation depended mostly on the wind, then the road, and then the decision of the group.

That being said, most of my racing was short course crit, and I was more concerned about surviving than the direction of the rotation.

For other rides where a paceline develops, it just happened. There was no talk or worry about rotation. We just did it. No one objected, but I think if you don't like the rotation, you should drop off.

I also think that if the direction of the rotation is an issue, you need to get out of the peleton until you learn how to adapt.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MShaw said:
a random smattering of individuals sorta-kinda rotating thru half-knowledgeably.
This is how the ride sorta-kinda developed... but the pace kept getting away from us, til we were at about 23 in a group that was previously designated as the 17 to 19.

MShaw said:
AFA being 'the voice' if a n00b hasta do it, yer not really gonna get it done.
This is what I expected... I just wanted to know if I'd pi$$ off the regulars if I started to speak up during the ride to get us rotating... Thanks. M.

And thanks for all your comments... I've ridden some pacelines, but like you guys all mentioned, it's typically a Hammerfest, that being said... maybe the comment about dropping back one group in those instances would be a good thing. We'll see. Thanks.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
This is how the ride sorta-kinda developed... but the pace kept getting away from us, til we were at about 23 in a group that was previously designated as the 17 to 19.

This is what I expected... I just wanted to know if I'd pi$$ off the regulars if I started to speak up during the ride to get us rotating... Thanks. M.

And thanks for all your comments... I've ridden some pacelines, but like you guys all mentioned, it's typically a Hammerfest, that being said... maybe the comment about dropping back one group in those instances would be a good thing. We'll see. Thanks.
Whatcha wanna do is find the 'next in charge' and politely 'suggest' something to the effect that 'wouldn't it be a little better for the n00bs if we rotated?' Let the more senior doods do the enforcing.

UNLESS of course, yer one of the forceful personalities that everyone looks up to. THEN you may get it done. As a n00b to that ride, however, I'm betting that yer gonna get some looks if you try and 'take over.'

Oh, and pacelines rotate so that the recovering line is in the wind. Sometimes ya hafta change mid-rotation!

Good luck!

M

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
If it were me, and I was new in a group or club, I'd tend to keep my mouth shut until I established myself with the group.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great suggestions guys.. Thanks...
And from what I can gather from all the comments...
I'll be taking Mr. Versatile's advice, which is similar to what everyone else mentioned...

It wasn't a big deal to me, but I noticed someone commenting after the ride, so I was just curious... And if it becomes a hammerfest again... RIDE HARDER, of course... Thanks again RBR, you guys never fail to provide...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.