Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone rotate their tires? We do it (at least we're supposed to) for the tires on our cars. I rotated mine yesterday, didn't mean to, so I left them as is. I mounted some different tires and didn't like them so I put the old ones back on. When I finished I realized I had put what was once the front tire on the rear and visa versa. I figured it might help with getting a few more miles out of the set so I let them be. Who knows. One thing 's for sure, I need to get a job so I can stay off this board and stop asking so many stupid questions. Idle hands are the work of the devil. Idle minds are even worse.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
right, It's more about having the fresh(er) rubber in the front where the stearing happens not making tires last long. If you don't rotate them, when the rear wears out the front will still be good so you only need to buy one. If you do rotate them you can go longer buying nothing but when the time comes you'll need two.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts
I buy tires in sets of three. By the time I've worn out the second rear tire, it's about time to change the front also.

·
Le Misérable
4,377 Posts
Front to rear, for safety more than anything else...front tire problems are much more dangerous than back tire problems, at least from a keeping the rubber side down perspective. I keep the front one reasonably fresh.

·
Banned
20,310 Posts
replace them both when the rear is done

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
PBike said:
It looks like this is my day to post links from Sheldon Brown. Sheldon doesn't recommend rotation and here is an article he wrote explaining why: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html
You slightly mischaracterize his recommendation. He rejects the simple swap, but he does endorse the kind of "rotation" ewitz and others have noted: back to trash, front to back, new tire on front.

·
Registered
359 Posts
JCavilia said:
You slightly mischaracterize his recommendation. He rejects the simple swap, but he does endorse the kind of "rotation" ewitz and others have noted: back to trash, front to back, new tire on front.
Yeah, I didn't mean to do that, you're right. The article speaks for itself. The front to back is okay.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Andy69 said:
Whatever floats your boat, but that method wastes about 3/4 of the potential life of the front tire. My frugality rebels.

I suppose it's prettier that way, though, since both tires will be the same age and have faded comparably.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, things are back the way they were before I started messing around yesterday. Thanks for the Sheldon Brown link. Don't know why I didn't look there first, I could have saved myself the trouble of posting the question to begin with. Thanks all for the tips.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
About 25 yrs ago I knew a dude that decided to get maximum mileage out of a set of tires and rotated them about every thousand miles. He got like 5000 miles out of the set but it got to where he wouldn't take the bike out without at least one spare tire.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that he wouldn't let me get near his bike because I threatened to cut those tires off with a knife!

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Waste not, want not

Andy69 said:
With my current rear tire, I put 3,600 miles (5,800 km) on it as a front tire before moving it to the rear. It currently has nearly 3,000 miles (4,000 km) on it as a rear tire with many more left in it. Why anyone would throw out a front tire with that many miles left in it is a mystery to me, but by all reports it is common practice for some.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
I just replace as needed. I got 5K miles on the rear and the front is still going strong. I figure I'll replace the front when my rear goes bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.