Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Point me downhill
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of riders out there who can educate me on this in more depth....

I understand that rotational weight counts more and requires more energy to keep moving compared to static weight..... but how much makes a diference?

If a wheelset weighs 1586 and we compare it to a wheelset that weighs 1390 how much of a difference does that make? Assume that both wheelsets are of the same depth and have the same tubes and tires mounted on them. The spoke count would change but only slightly 20 to 18 and 28 to 24. So besides the 196 grams static weight savings how much does this matter?

Is there a place to calculate the differences on the web somewhere?

Thank you all!!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Like many riders, I used to believe that rotational weight was everything. Moving into the 21st century, I've decided that any talk of wheel weight was crap. If you take two riders of the same fitness and weight, and you stick one rider on a bike that weighs 5 pounds more, the other rider might beat the rider on the heavier bike by a few inches.
Likewise, if you stick one of the riders with some deep carbon rims, and he rides the hoods, a rider on box rims that can ride the drops all day, will clean his clock.

As for your question, the answer is inches.
If your stem is high
If you have 25mm of spacers
If your stem points up
If you can't ride low
Save your money
An aerodynamic body is worth 5 times the value of light areodynamic wheels.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Jontony said:
Is there a place to calculate the differences on the web somewhere?
Only the weight difference at the rim+tire is going to matter and only during acceleration... and this will be a small effect. Else weight on your wheels doesn't slow you down more than weight elsewhere. If you are sensitive you might be able to feel the difference in rotational inertia when turning at high speeds, but this isn't something that is going to slow you down.

Weight is mostly detrimental when climbing a steep grade. If you weigh 200lbs geared up and drop 1/2 lb then you will be almost 0.25% faster on a steep climb. Yes, this isn't very much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts