Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wookiebiker said:
Some people like them, some don't. The only way to find out if you do is to try them. Personally....if I had the money I'd give them a try, at least on my TT bike.
Same here I hope we get some input on these rings the concept make sense. I might pull the trigger anyways and if I dont like it theres always Ebay .lols

MidwestPlaya :thumbsup:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
A brilliant solution in search of a problem.

LOTS of threads on RBR on this topic.

·
What? Me worry?
815 Posts
It's time to take a word of advice from Dear Abbey: "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Q-Rings in their various incarnations have been around since the days of the safety bike. They come, they go, the configuration changes, but the only thing they do is take money from gullible riders.

Now, I expect all the users of Q-Rings, Suntour ellipticals, Shimano BioPace, Excell BioCam, DynaDrive pedals, Synchro, O.Symmetric, EGGrings, etc., etc. to chime in and tell me how wrong I am.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Making sense?

Midwest Playa said:
the concept make sense.
It does? How do you reach this conclusion? I know the folks who first patented out-of-round chainrings in the 1890s thought it made sense, but somehow they just never seem to catch on despite being reintroduced to the marketplace every 10-15 years since. I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I ran q-rings on my MTB for 6 months or so. I liked them as they were nicer to my knees. Power in the flat to moderate 12% or less pitches was good.

I tried them in various mounting positions and found my sweet setting.

They work by making it easier to pedal on the weaker part of the pedal stroke. Don't kid yourself, they did take a couple of hundred miles for my legs to adjust to the different movement.

The work the opposite of those old shimano bio pace rings back in the 80s. I actually had a bike with those, LOL.

To me as an mtb rider mostly, the Q-rings downfall was on steep pitches in the +15% range. You need smooth, consistent circle pedaling to maintain traction as well when climbing those. It was just weird, because I would maintain traction, but not have that normal "circle pedal power" I used to have. Maybe the pitch changed the "easy part" of the pedal stroke and messed me up. I don't really know. But when you are climbing a steep pitch with loose rocks and roots, you need every bit of pedal power and control you can muster up. Any slip or mistake and your going CX the rest of the way up the hill.

I would seriously consider them for my road bike if that's all I rode. However, since I ride both mtb and road, my "pedaling circle" needs to be consistent on both bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.