Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look at replacing BB5 mtns with BB7s. Front and rear rotors are currently both 160. I asked the mfr if I could run 180 up front and they responded it's only been tested with 160 and 180 isn't recommended.

My concern is one of my routes has a long, 9-degree grade with two busy intersections at the bottom. Braking with the current setup, with no load, is basically adequate. I don't ever want to be in a situation where it's not adequate. The fork is steel. Go for it? I realize it's not expensive to replace the rotor but I'd like to get it right the first time. Thanks.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
When I replace the BBs on my cross bike I'll get TRP Spyre calipers. AFAIK they're the only cable-operated dual piston available. The reviews are good.

I'd try the 180 and see if it flexes the fork.
I've never felt I needed more than the 160F/140R that my bike came with.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I followed your and the rest of the Internet's guidance and went hydro, M8000 to be specific. This project cost more than I intended but the brakes work very well and it's nice not having to think about them.

The 180 front feels like what the bike should have come with in the first place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts